• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Comey and McCabe, Two Trump Foes, Both Faced Intensive I.R.S. Audits

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

The minuscule chances of the two highest-ranking F.B.I. officials — who made some of the most politically consequential law enforcement decisions in a generation — being randomly subjected to a detailed scrub of their tax returns a few years after leaving their posts presents extraordinary questions.

Was it sheer coincidence that two close associates would randomly come under the scrutiny of the same audit program within two years of each other? Did something in their returns increase the chances of their being selected? Could the audits have been connected to criminal investigations pursued by the Trump Justice Department against both men, neither of whom was ever charged?

Or did someone in the federal government or at the I.R.S. — an agency that at times, like under the Nixon administration, was used for political purposes but says it has imposed a range of internal controls intended to thwart anyone from improperly using its powers — corrupt the process?
======

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was political retribution.

The minuscule chances of the two highest-ranking F.B.I. officials — who made some of the most politically consequential law enforcement decisions in a generation — being randomly subjected to a detailed scrub of their tax returns a few years after leaving their posts presents extraordinary questions.

Was it sheer coincidence that two close associates would randomly come under the scrutiny of the same audit program within two years of each other? Did something in their returns increase the chances of their being selected? Could the audits have been connected to criminal investigations pursued by the Trump Justice Department against both men, neither of whom was ever charged?

Or did someone in the federal government or at the I.R.S. — an agency that at times, like under the Nixon administration, was used for political purposes but says it has imposed a range of internal controls intended to thwart anyone from improperly using its powers — corrupt the process?
======

Kinda like the Obama days, huh? Turnabout is a M****** f*****

======

There never was a "Trump Justice Department", so that speculation gets tossed into the trash. If the DOJ belonged to Trump, both of those corrupt assholes would be in jail.

Trump never controlled the IRS, either. Not like Obama did.

No...if those two were looked at by the IRS, you can be sure that they deserved it.

======

Its a dirty trick Nixon used quite often as he checked off names on his enemies list. Catherine Graham, one of the greatest woman in American newspaper publishing, owner of the Washington Post, was the subject of numerous IRS audits. I am sure her paper publishing the Watergate Story had zero to do with those audits🙄.

Often the two men's similarities, Nixon and Trump is striking.

There never was a "Trump Justice Department", so that speculation gets tossed into the trash. If the DOJ belonged to Trump, both of those corrupt assholes would be in jail.

No...if those two were looked at by the IRS, you can be sure that they deserved it.
Oh please. Bill Barr was Trump's Consigliere. I don't know who the IRS head was but I can bet dollars to donuts that person could get bullied by Trump to audit these two FBI employees. As the article stated, it would be like lightning hitting someone twice.

Its a dirty trick Nixon used quite often as he checked off names on his enemies list. Catherine Graham, one of the greatest woman in American newspaper publishing, owner of the Washington Post, was the subject of numerous IRS audits. I am sure her paper publishing the Watergate Story had zero to do with those audits🙄.

Often the two men's similarities, Nixon and Trump is striking.
It's a paywalled article, but at least portions are available from other sources.

Comey was audited in 2017. McCabe last year (2021). The NYT is stretching deep into CT here.

The New York Times reported that in 2017, Comey—who had been fired from his post at the bureau by Trump just months prior—was one of just 5,000 people targeted by the IRS for the audit.

Last year, McCabe, who had served as acting director of the FBI for several months following Comey’s departure, was one of 8,000 chosen to be audited by the IRS, run by a Trump appointee.

Former IRS officials and tax lawyers told the Times that it would be difficult for a president to aim an audit as an enemy.

It's a paywalled article, but at least portions are available from other sources.

Comey was audited in 2017. McCabe last year (2021). The NYT is stretching deep into CT here.
Well Catherine Graham was audited 3 years running, ya lightening striking, that one was obvious.

It would difficult to prove this was the case with these two gentlemen. Perhaps it is a one off, it's mildly suspicious when taking into account Trump's spiteful nature. I would need more.

That isn't what happened, but who am I to try to derail your ignorance?

What happened in 2010 were a rush of political organizations, often comprised of tea baggers, racing to organize political action corporations. Many of them tried to claim 503(c)(3) status. Hence, they drew the attention of the IRS.

Funny, I don't recall either James Comey or Andrew McCabe filing for tax-exempt status.

Well Catherine Graham was audited 3 years running, ya lightening striking, that one was obvious.

It would difficult to prove this was the case with these two gentlemen. Perhaps it is a one off, it's mildly suspicious when taking into account Trump's spiteful nature. I would need more.

In 2017, an Obama appointee was head of the IRS. In 2021, it was a Trump Appointee... but Trump wasn't president any more. Deep into CT territiory.

No Idea who Catherine Graham is.

LOL, it's a total coinky-dink that two of Trump's enemies just happpppen to get the one of the rarest types of audits.

You're hilarious.

LOL, it's a total coinky-dink that two of Trump's enemies just happpppen to get the one of the rarest types of audits.

You're hilarious.
Lots of people don't like Trump. How many got audited? If Trump really had that ability, wouldn't there be a lot of others higher on his list?

Worth noting, Again, that the second audit was last year... after Trump left office.

Lots of people don't like Trump. How many got audited? If Trump really had that ability, wouldn't there be a lot of others higher on his list?

Worth noting, Again, that the second audit was last year... after Trump left office.
And you realllly don't think there aren't any Trump sympathizers left in the Federal government? Hilarious!

That isn't what happened, but who am I to try to derail your ignorance?

What happened in 2010 were a rush of political organizations, often comprised of tea baggers, racing to organize political action corporations. Many of them tried to claim 503(c)(3) status. Hence, they drew the attention of the IRS.
"Drew the attention of"? They filed the appropriate forms months in advance and they were trashed.
Sure. :rolleyes: You still believe in the Easter Bunny, too, right?

In 2017, an Obama appointee was head of the IRS. In 2021, it was a Trump Appointee... but Trump wasn't president any more. Deep into CT territiory.

No Idea who Catherine Graham is.
Comey's letter was dated Nov 15, 2019. McCabe's Oct 6, 2021. Both while the Trump guy was in charge.

It is a helluva coincidence, that's for sure. Two heads of FBI selected at "random" is winning the Powerball lottery kinds of odds, but someone does win them on occasion.

Except that Obama didn't do that. That was just fiction created by the right.

Remember the IRS Scandal? It was Fake News All Along​

Try not to be so gullible. Your country deserves better.

Except that Obama didn't do that. That was just fiction created by the right.

Remember the IRS Scandal? It was Fake News All Along​

Try not to be so gullible. Your country deserves better.
Just noticed the date an the article and that it's clearly labeled "opinion".

Last edited:
Just noticed the date an the article and that it's clearly labeled "opinion".
Right.

It was debunked a long time ago.

And Republican fools are still trotting it out as if it were real.

Not a good look.

Comey's letter was dated Nov 15, 2019. McCabe's Oct 6, 2021. Both while the Trump guy was in charge.

It is a helluva coincidence, that's for sure. Two heads of FBI selected at "random" is winning the Powerball lottery kinds of odds, but someone does win them on occasion.
I guess he was taking his time? And to target people long in the rear view mirror? Pure CT.

Back
Top Bottom