• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Comey: ‘No reasonable prosecutor’ would have charged Clinton under ‘gross negligence’

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
From the article

FBI Director James B. Comey said Thursday that it would have been virtually unprecedented to charge Hillary Clinton under a federal statute making it a felony to mishandle classified information through “gross negligence.”

The case, he said, would have been just the second in nearly a century.

“No reasonable prosecutor would bring the second case in 100 years based on gross negligence,” he said.

“We’re mystified and confused by the fact pattern that you laid out and the conclusions that you reached,” House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) told Comey. “It seems that there are two standards, and there’s no consequence for these types of activities and dealing in a careless way with classified information. It seems to a lot of us that the Average Joe, the average American, that if they had done what you laid out in your statement, that they’d be in handcuffs.”

Comey stood by his recommendation that Clinton not be charged. He said in the Clinton email investigation, as in all probes, agents were focused on the facts, the law, “and how have similar people — all people — been treated in the past.” They are keenly interested, he said, in “what did the person do, and when they did that thing, what were they thinking.”

“We don’t want to put people in jail unless we prove that they knew they were doing something they shouldn’t do,” Comey said.

Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...43ec7e-43c1-11e6-88d0-6adee48be8bc_story.html

Re: Comey: ‘No reasonable prosecutor’ would have charged Clinton under ‘gross neglige

INVESTIGATE ALL THE INVESTIGATORS! INVESTIGATE THE INVESTIGATORS OF THE INVESTIGATORS! AND AFTER THAT.... cookies and ice cream.

If no reasonable prosecutor would charge clinton, I bet that there are plenty of unreasonable ones.

Re: Comey: ‘No reasonable prosecutor’ would have charged Clinton under ‘gross neglige

If no reasonable prosecutor would charge clinton, I bet that there are plenty of unreasonable ones.

They seem like they won't stop until the Clintons are charged with something.

They seem like they won't stop until the Clintons are charged with something.

Didn't Bill Clinton commit perjury and get impeached for it? Didn't he also get disbarred as a lawyer for misconduct? Whitewater? I mean scandal after scandal. How about that Loretta Lynch thing?

I'm sure it is all just a conservative conspiracy that they are constantly caught in lies upon lies. :eye roll:

Didn't Bill Clinton commit perjury and get impeached for it? Didn't he also get disbarred as a lawyer for misconduct? Whitewater? I mean scandal after scandal. How about that Loretta Lynch thing?

I'm sure it is all just a conservative conspiracy that they are constantly caught in lies upon lies. :eye roll:

What does all that have to do with the subject of the article?

Didn't Bill Clinton commit perjury and get impeached for it?

In America, we do not charge wives with crimes because their husband was acquitted following impeachment twenty years ago.

It's insane. He's acting as judge and jury. If she broke the law and she's the first person in history to break this law, it is even more outrageous because clearly the rest of the world of people had better judgement than she did. Imagine if a crime had never been documented before such as forcing someone to eat watermelon until they died. You can't say because it has never happened that there is no way to prosecute. Just my opinion - but this should be taken to the people to decide. Let the American people vote to bring her in front of a grand jury - then at least the people have had a chance to say.

In America, we do not charge wives with crimes because their husband was acquitted following impeachment twenty years ago.

I think the poster is saying that if you commit perjury it can be and has in the past been actionable - so for Comey to say it isn't then he is wrong.

Washingtonpost.com Special Report: Clinton Accused

It's insane. He's acting as judge and jury. If she broke the law and she's the first person in history to break this law, it is even more outrageous because clearly the rest of the world of people had better judgement than she did. Imagine if a crime had never been documented before such as forcing someone to eat watermelon until they died. You can't say because it has never happened that there is no way to prosecute. Just my opinion - but this should be taken to the people to decide. Let the American people vote to bring her in front of a grand jury - then at least the people have had a chance to say.

I think you are going to have difficulty in convening that Grand jury without a prosecutor.

I think the poster is saying that if you commit perjury it can be and has in the past been actionable - so for Comey to say it isn't then he is wrong.

Where and when did Hilliary commit perjury?

I watched and heard..............it is a perfectly good answer...............based upon the law and equity...........

Folks may not like it.........

Because they did not want the law to prevail...........

Over what they already decided it should be.........

Even before the facts were examined.........

If yall don't like it that way............move the country as Trump described yesterday..........

where the law was Saddam Hoisin......

Where suspected terrorist were........... summarily murdered ...........

We aren't talking about charging her based on her husband. She is a politician with a history of scandal and lies. Is the question is why is she constantly embroiled in these problems? Maybe it is her association with another liar who is also a disbarred attorney.

Guilty, not guilty, it changes nothing. Like Trump's lemmings, Hillary will always have her defenders. To anyone else, she and her husband will forever be known as they who got away with everything.

One thing I note, from Benghazi to when this started, she had a lot of troll supporters who echoed her every meme. They seemed to have grown quite, at least they are no longer insisting she isn't or wasn't under investigation.

Guilty, not guilty, it changes nothing. Like Trump's lemmings, Hillary will always have her defenders. To anyone else, she and her husband will forever be known as they who got away with everything.

One thing I note, from Benghazi to when this started, she had a lot of troll supporters who echoed her every meme. They seemed to have grown quite, at least they are no longer insisting she isn't or wasn't under investigation.

And what about the subject of the article in the OP?

Do you disagree with the FBI director and think there is evidence to charge Hilliary Clinton?

I watched and heard..............it is a perfectly good answer...............based upon the law and equity...........

Folks may not like it.........

Because they did not want the law to prevail...........

Over what they already decided it should be.........

Even before the facts were examined.........

If yall don't like it that way............move the country as Trump described yesterday..........

where the law was Saddam Hoisin......

Where suspected terrorist were........... summarily murdered ...........

The nuance of the law is difficult for some to appreciate, so the reaction of 10's of millions of people is understandable.

When the FBI concluded Clinton lied over and over, misrepresented facts, was grossly negligent with her responsibility to the office and the Nations security, and sanitized evidence, it's reasonable for people to wonder how those facts can lead to exoneration of any wrong doing.

Fortunately, the report did make these declarations, so despite what paid shills write and post, or the cover she may get from the MSM, people will see the character and type of decision making a candidate for President of the United States can be counted on to continue with, and vote accordingly.

Bet Hillary is going to frame a dictionary definition of "intent" and hang it in her study.

Sexual relations: no.

Got a blow job: yes.

Yea. You may claim it isn't perjury, but we both know it is. We both know his excuse was bull****. Please. Don't piss on our heads and tell us it is raining. Well...I better be careful about saying that. Old Billy might actually try that to some poor young woman.

And what about the subject of the article in the OP?

Do you disagree with the FBI director and think there is evidence to charge Hilliary Clinton?

Why ask me? I don't have enough information to agree nor disagree with the man who led the investigation and I doubt anyone else in here does either.

I am in no way vested in any aspect of this. It's your electoral system, it's your politics. Here it's simply an ongoing source of mirth. Likely the two most dishonest people in America are vying for the presidency.

Yeah, that's funny

do i think a reasonable group of people as in a grand jury would indict? maybe, maybe not

the issue some of us have is that the prosecution team refused to even let a grand jury hear it

of course, you have to have a prosecutor willing to provide the grand jury the whole story

and it seems no one in the AG office is anywhere inclined to let "the people" near the case

doesnt that seem a little strange to you? i know it does to me

Just lying to the government got Libby and Stewart jail time.

The nuance of the law is difficult for some to appreciate, so the reaction of 10's of millions of people is understandable.

When the FBI concluded Clinton lied over and over, misrepresented facts, was grossly negligent with her responsibility to the office and the Nations security, and sanitized evidence, it's reasonable for people to wonder how those facts can lead to exoneration of any wrong doing.

Fortunately, the report did make these declarations, so despite what paid shills write and post, or the cover she may get from the MSM, people will see the character and type of decision making a candidate for President of the United States can be counted on to continue with, and vote accordingly.

Bet Hillary is going to frame a dictionary definition of "intent" and hang it in her study.

Thank you for your sharing

Back
Top Bottom