• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Columbus man blaming Trump's 'orders' for riot actions found guilty

The AntiDonald

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

WASHINGTON — A Columbus man who testified he was “following presidential orders” from Donald Trump when he stormed the U.S. Capitol was convicted Thursday of obstructing Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory.

A federal jury also found Dustin Byron Thompson, 38, guilty of stealing a coat rack from an office inside the Capitol during the riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

Jurors deliberated less than three hours before their verdict, rejecting Thompson's novel defense. He blamed Trump and members of the president’s inner circle for the insurrection and for his own actions.

Stupid is as stupid does.

WASHINGTON — A Columbus man who testified he was “following presidential orders” from Donald Trump when he stormed the U.S. Capitol was convicted Thursday of obstructing Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory.

A federal jury also found Dustin Byron Thompson, 38, guilty of stealing a coat rack from an office inside the Capitol during the riot on Jan. 6, 2021.o

Jurors deliberated less than three hours before their verdict, rejecting Thompson's novel defense. He blamed Trump and members of the president’s inner circle for the insurrection and for his own actions.

Do the crime, do the time - no matter WHO YOU THINK told you to do it.

A federal jury also found Dustin Byron Thompson, 38, guilty of stealing a coat rack from an office inside the Capitol during the riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

Rather lame defense. Guess he was hoping to have a jury of TDSers.

As a Trumpophile , his defense makes perfect sense. Following in his idol's footsteps, it isn't his fault.

"I don't take responsibility at all!" - D. Trump 3/13/2020

His lawyer should be disbarred for putting him thru a jury trial. He could have quartered his sentence if he had plead guilty and cooperated.

Lawyers can't make a client take a plea. He rolled he dice and lost. Sometimes you win.

Yea, yea. I was being facetious. As much as I deplore the people that rioted at the capitol, I almost feel sorry for this guy. His lawyer is from Ohio. He must have paid this guy at least 25K for this case, only to be found guilty on all counts. Any decent lawyer would have to see the writing on the wall. He's in DC, FGS, with a DC jury. He should have mounted a better defense or convinced his client to take a plea.

Good to see that the full weight and force of the DOJ is working on these cases. I mean, violent and property crime are rising, inflation is through the roof, the border is in crisis, and Ukraine is going up in flames... but by goodness this man's heinous coat rack theft will be punished!

Good to see that the full weight and force of the DOJ is working on these cases. I mean, violent and property crime are rising, inflation is through the roof, the border is in crisis, and Ukraine is going up in flames... but by goodness this man's heinous coat rack theft will be punished!
Coat rack that was stolen from the seat of our government while the capitol was closed, and he was trespassing during a riot that was interfering with an official proceeding of congress, among other things. Yes, it's great to see the DOJ doing the job we hired them to do.

Yea, yea. I was being facetious. As much as I deplore the people that rioted at the capitol, I almost feel sorry for this guy. His lawyer is from Ohio. He must have paid this guy at least 25K for this case, only to be found guilty on all counts. Any decent lawyer would have to see the writing on the wall. He's in DC, FGS, with a DC jury. He should have mounted a better defense or convinced his client to take a plea.
Given it was a DC jury, it was not completely absurd to gamble for a jury of at least some TDSers that would buy the defense.

I dont think you read your own link. The jury rejected his argument and found him guilty. Likely no evidence was provided that showed Trump ordered anyone to do anything at all. Sorry.

David Berkowitz blamed his neighbor's dog, Sam, for giving him orders.

His lawyer should be disbarred for putting him thru a jury trial. He could have quartered his sentence if he had plead guilty and cooperated.
Considering the guy has most likely been in jail for over a year he will most likely receive a time served sentence.

"I'm here to register my citizen outrage at the unconstitutional ... hey, nice coat rack. I'll have that!"

Considering the guy has most likely been in jail for over a year he will most likely receive a time served sentence.

Considering that he's only the third person to go to trial (while 250 have pled guilty) I think it's quite likely he had the money to make bail.

Considering that he's only the third person to go to trial (while 250 have pled guilty) I think it's quite likely he had the money to make bail.
I'm under the impression that they have been mostly denied bail and have to sit in jail until they get their trial.

I'm under the impression that they have been mostly denied bail and have to sit in jail until they get their trial.

Though I have zero sympathy for these particular accused, I regard holding people who pose no particular threat to the community, only because courts are so damn slow, as unconstitutional and an affront to the "land of the free."

David Berkowitz blamed his neighbor's dog, Sam, for giving him orders.

And trump blames his own dogs for following orders.

23b1ba853fee4b9ae1b38162f11dea10d6fac224.png

Back
Top Bottom