• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Columbus man blaming Trump's 'orders' for riot actions found guilty

Good to see that the full weight and force of the DOJ is working on these cases. I mean, violent and property crime are rising, inflation is through the roof, the border is in crisis, and Ukraine is going up in flames... but by goodness this man's heinous coat rack theft will be punished!
OY VEY! :rolleyes: Did you give that post much thought? The last time I checked, the events of January 6th WERE "violent and property crimes".

What do you think the DoJ should be doing about inflation?!?
What should the DoJ be doing about the border in crisis?!?
And what on Earth were you thinking the DoJ should be doing about Ukraine ??!!??

If there was so much as a subatomic particle of sense to your post, I don't think anyone could find it with the Large Hadron Collider.

Though I have zero sympathy for these particular accused, I regard holding people who pose no particular threat to the community, only because courts are so damn slow, as unconstitutional and an affront to the "land of the free."
I just did a fast internet search and as it turns out as of 1 year later 37 are still being held without bond and the average sentence handed out has been 45 days in jail.

I dont think you read your own link. The jury rejected his argument and found him guilty. Likely no evidence was provided that showed Trump ordered anyone to do anything at all. Sorry.
That's not the instruction the judge gave to the jury. He told them to keep in mind that both things could be true at the same time. He also blasted Trump and his allies. The defendants lawyer made numerous attempts to subpoena Trump with no luck.

That's not the instruction the judge gave to the jury. He told them to keep in mind that both things could be true at the same time. He also blasted Trump and his allies. The defendants lawyer made numerous attempts to subpoena Trump with no luck.
The fact remains that the jury rejected his argument, meaning that the 'Trump made me do it' defense is a loser. Why? Because there is no evidence to back it up.

Though I have zero sympathy for these particular accused, I regard holding people who pose no particular threat to the community, only because courts are so damn slow, as unconstitutional and an affront to the "land of the free."
I tend to agree with you; however, this situation is different. A message needs to be sent here to all the wanna-be insurrectionists that this will not be tolerated.

Hopefully, it's working.

The fact remains that the jury rejected his argument, meaning that the 'Trump made me do it' defense is a loser. Why? Because there is no evidence to back it up.
Wrong. Because ignorance in no excuse of the law. You break the law and get punished no matter why you did it. In reality, Trump has noting to do with this individual case. Trump and his allies will hopefully pay the price separately from all his ignorant warriors.

I know you'll defend Trump to his death. You're wasting your time.

I just did a fast internet search and as it turns out as of 1 year later 37 are still being held without bond and the average sentence handed out has been 45 days in jail.
Doing averages at this time is nonsensical. Only three serious cases have been tried so far and none of the seditious conspiracy charges have been tried.

WASHINGTON — A Columbus man who testified he was “following presidential orders” from Donald Trump when he stormed the U.S. Capitol was convicted Thursday of obstructing Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory.

A federal jury also found Dustin Byron Thompson, 38, guilty of stealing a coat rack from an office inside the Capitol during the riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

Jurors deliberated less than three hours before their verdict, rejecting Thompson's novel defense. He blamed Trump and members of the president’s inner circle for the insurrection and for his own actions.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Nazis being tried at Nuremberg attempted the 'I was only following orders' defence. Didn't prevent a date with the hangman for many.

Rather lame defense. Guess he was hoping to have a jury of TDSers.

It was exactly the defense that people in the trump insurrection mob told the TV cameras on Jan 6th.

It was only a matter of time before one of the ones that got locked up would try the “mein fuhrer made me do it”!

Considering that he's only the third person to go to trial (while 250 have pled guilty) I think it's quite likely he had the money to make bail.

Now that you mention it.

Funny, but there are no big fundraising campaigns to raise bail money for these people.

But there is an endless parade of them to raise money so Trump can stuff it in his pockets.

Oh, there’s plenty of evidence.

Including video of Trump exhorting his mob to violate the assembly permit and march on the Capitol. There is skinhead henchmen made sure that protest turned into a riot.

And once the leaderless mob stormed the capitol, they all stood around like idiots and told every tv camera in the building that they were following Trump‘S orders.

Of course they had no leader, because their fuhrer, having revved them up, was not “right there with you”. He slinked away to hide in the White House and watch the riot he and his henchmen planned and promoted on Fox.

Now, of course, he’s doing the woulda coulda shoula, and “regretting” that he didn’t lead his mob. He used the Secret Service as an excuse.

Funny though, none of the people standing around him on that stage were Secret Service. They were all skinheads in full costume.

OY VEY! :rolleyes: Did you give that post much thought? The last time I checked, the events of January 6th WERE "violent and property crimes".

What do you think the DoJ should be doing about inflation?!?
What should the DoJ be doing about the border in crisis?!?
And what on Earth were you thinking the DoJ should be doing about Ukraine ??!!??

If there was so much as a subatomic particle of sense to your post, I don't think anyone could find it with the Large Hadron Collider.
lol. The "700 cases" they are prosecuting are virtually all misdemeanor crimes. Yes, the relative few that involve assaulting people should be prosecuted. But trespass? Stealing a podium or coat rack ? These are not top tier crimes that need to tie up the department of justice for 2 years.

You are right - items like inflation, border security, and Ukraine are where Congress should be focused.

The DOJ does however play a huge role in the border crisis - who do you think runs all of those courts that are overwhelmed with people coming in? And maybe look to fake DHS agents trying to corrupt federal agents? There's a lot more serious matters they need to focus on.

lol. The "700 cases" they are prosecuting are virtually all misdemeanor crimes. Yes, the relative few that involve assaulting people should be prosecuted. But trespass? Stealing a podium or coat rack ? These are not top tier crimes that need to tie up the department of justice for 2 years.

You are right - items like inflation, border security, and Ukraine are where Congress should be focused.

The DOJ does however play a huge role in the border crisis - who do you think runs all of those courts that are overwhelmed with people coming in? And maybe look to fake DHS agents trying to corrupt federal agents? There's a lot more serious matters they need to focus on.
A feeble defense of a failed post.

😴

Again, with no particular sympathy for the 1/6 rioters, it is disgraceful that so many pleaded guilty rather than go to trial.

It is disgraceful for them, that they confessed so easily to small charges. They will live with it on their conscience that they were fools, and puppets. What they felt that day was some stupid pop culture trend, which they picked up on earlier the same ****ing day. How will they explain to their children and grandchildren, how and why they committed a crime?

But it is disgraceful for the US justice system too. It is a false economy of justice, to give much lesser sentences to those who plead guilty and avoid trial. It's not so much the under-punishment of criminals which bothers me. It's the incentive for innocent people to plead guilty to lesser charges. That is ****ing obscene.

Land of the free ... and the imprisoned.

Nazis being tried at Nuremberg attempted the 'I was only following orders' defence. Didn't prevent a date with the hangman for many.

Attention: Trespassing is now equivalent with the Holocaust.

Attention: Trespassing is now equivalent with the Holocaust.

The defendant attempted a "brainwashing" defense and it failed. He was found guilty on his own actions.

You may feel good about that, because it keeps your boy Trump off the hook, but it remains that this rioter like 200+ before, was guilty of a crime.

Plenty more to come.

Considering the guy has most likely been in jail for over a year he will most likely receive a time served sentence.
Hopefully he gets his citizenship revoked.

Don't need these democracy hating anti-Americans populating our jail cells. They are already full.

Send this loser to North Korea.

The defendant attempted a "brainwashing" defense and it failed. He was found guilty on his own actions.

You may feel good about that, because it keeps your boy Trump off the hook, but it remains that this rioter like 200+ before, was guilty of a crime.

Plenty more to come.

I hope you get to celebrate each and every trespassing conviction.

Considering the guy has most likely been in jail for over a year he will most likely receive a time served sentence.
Lean to read the article:

"He was ordered held pending his sentencing, set for July 20. He had been free since his arrest."

I hope you get to celebrate each and every trespassing conviction.
It wasn't "tresspassing", learn to read what he was convicted of.

Thompson is charged with six counts: obstructing Congress’ joint session to certify the Electoral College vote, theft of government property, entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly or disruptive conduct in a Capitol building, and parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building.

Again, with no particular sympathy for the 1/6 rioters, it is disgraceful that so many pleaded guilty rather than go to trial.

It is disgraceful for them, that they confessed so easily to small charges. They will live with it on their conscience that they were fools, and puppets. What they felt that day was some stupid pop culture trend, which they picked up on earlier the same ****ing day. How will they explain to their children and grandchildren, how and why they committed a crime?

But it is disgraceful for the US justice system too. It is a false economy of justice, to give much lesser sentences to those who plead guilty and avoid trial. It's not so much the under-punishment of criminals which bothers me. It's the incentive for innocent people to plead guilty to lesser charges. That is ****ing obscene.

Land of the free ... and the imprisoned.
I think you credit the rioters with too much common sense/self-reflection. Of course they are Trump's useful idiots, but I'm certain when they no longer have to play the contrite role in court they will forever declare themselves victims of the Deep State.

Just like their leader.

It wasn't "tresspassing", learn to read what he was convicted of.

Thompson is charged with six counts: obstructing Congress’ joint session to certify the Electoral College vote, theft of government property, entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly or disruptive conduct in a Capitol building, and parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom