• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Columbine Shooting's Effect On Schools

Gideon

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
The Columbine Shooting was bad, I know.
But suddenly, in middle schools everywhere, the "outcasts" are being watched upon like goths. In seventh grade they seperated what most would call the "outcast table" without giving a particular reason, and after doing a short study found out lots of these "outcasts" are forced into these counseling things at school, without them wanting to and no reason why. There are also lots of suggestive things supporting they've taken that issue to a way extreme level. This is mainly in middle school from what I've seen and in High School it doesn't seem like theres a problem (at least not here).
There may be other contrasting views, and I'm open to all of them.
This is just a hypothesis, not a statement, really.

There's no need for paranoia, metal detectors in schools or watching non-confomist kids here in Australia. Presumably, because we don't have guns.

actual violence in schools has been decreasing at a steady rate over several years. Things like school shootings are really just isolated events which become highly publicized.

I once got dragged down to the principles office and had the cops called on me because I had written down the basic ingredients for dynamite. Thing is that they had shown the ingredients to us in Chem class.

Paranoia to keep the parents entertained I suppose.

god i was in high school when columbine happened and things got crazy for the rest of the year. they had these secret watch lists for certain kids and tracked them all day. i remember our football coach held a meeting with us asking if we would come forward with names of people we thought didnt like us haha. it was nuts.

My geeky mates and I used to run around our high school in trenchcoats (they're warm and look cool!). :mrgreen: Would have loved to see the reaction if it was an American school.

During that string of school shootings my school instituted a safety drill called "dangerous intruder". In the drill if the announcement came on the intercom that there was "a dangerous person in the school" we were to lock the door to the class room, turn off all the lights, and hide in the back corner. The idea was to fool the gunner into thinking that nobody was home.

When I pointed out that the people shooting up their school were students in said school and would therefore be involved in the drill and know exactly what was happening, my teacher gave me this evil eye and I think she wrote my name down on a scrap of paper. Never did find out what she did with the paper but from then on I made sure that I sat near to a window.:lol:

Wow - I criticize my school for its actions, but after reading your posts, I guess I got lucky.

I don't recall any "watch lists," but they did furnish each room with a emergency pamplet taped to the walls. There was a page for every possible thing that can go wrong. I'm talking tornados, flash floods, you name it. The page for the bomb threat had some interesting advice: "contact your teacher, who will contact the principal who will in turn contact the police." That's quite a chain of command. Anyway, I doubt the pamplets would have been of much use in a real emergency.

There were a few anonymous threats made by students that they would attack the school on such-and-such a date. Some people refused to show up on those days, but I came anyway. Obviously, nothing happened.

AllAmericanRageJunky said:
During that string of school shootings my school instituted a safety drill called "dangerous intruder". In the drill if the announcement came on the intercom that there was "a dangerous person in the school" we were to lock the door to the class room, turn off all the lights, and hide in the back corner. The idea was to fool the gunner into thinking that nobody was home.

The worst was when you couldn't tell the difference between a dangerous intruder alarm or a fire alarm. One, you're supposed to single file march down the halls, the other you're supposed to hide under a desk and pray. If you get it wrong, you're so totally screwed. I mean, marching single file when a guy's got a gun? Fantastic. Or sitting under your desk during a fire. That would be a good time.

ncallaway said:
The worst was when you couldn't tell the difference between a dangerous intruder alarm or a fire alarm. One, you're supposed to single file march down the halls, the other you're supposed to hide under a desk and pray. If you get it wrong, you're so totally screwed. I mean, marching single file when a guy's got a gun? Fantastic. Or sitting under your desk during a fire. That would be a good time.

well those desks were so full of asbestoses you might have actually stood a chance in a fire.:roll:

Someone sent "anthrax" to my school a few years ago. The place was evacuated in the middle of the day for several hours and the authorities sent dudes in space-suit things to remove it.

So what did they do?

Detonated it in the middle of the schoolgrounds. Smart.

Back
Top Bottom