• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colt McCoy joined forces with rich UT-Austin alumni to help pressure university to keep "The Eyes of Texas," latest emails show

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The new emails reveal more powerful donors and alumni than were previously known who mobilized on the issue in June right after the student athletes went public with their demands to get rid of the song.

Former Longhorn quarterback Colt McCoy, who recently signed with the Arizona Cardinals, was among a group of connected University of Texas at Austin donors who organized an effort last June to pressure university leaders to keep the alma mater song, “The Eyes of Texas,” according to new emails provided to The Texas Tribune.

Last month, the Tribune reported that dozens of UT-Austin donors threatened to pull funds if the university got rid of the song, which has been the subject of student protests. After the story ran, UT-Austin President Jay Hartzell released a statement that said he received a “small number” of hateful emails about the issue and they “bear no influence on any aspect of our decision-making.”

Then, after the Tribune inquired about missing records, UT-Austin identified more than 550 additional emails that should have been provided in response to an open records request.
=====================================================
Only in TX will you find millionaires fighting over a school song:

The Eyes of Texas
Masters of Reality
The eyes of Texas... are upon you
The eyes of Texas... are upon you
Now here come the girls
In that pretty red Ford
Yeah they're packing the girls
In that pretty red ford

And out of the engine
Came the flame with a name
It burned up my mind
It made me insane
The eyes of Texas
Are upon you
I put on my boots And I got down to work
Yeah I sang her a song
And I got down to work

And out of the engine
Came the flame with a name
It burned up my mind
It made me…

This song is somewhat sexist. The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You. I can understand the controversy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom