• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado: Where men are men and the mountain lions are scared...

upsideguy

Pragmatic Idealist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I came across this article in yesterday's Denver Post. It seems that a runner was attacked on the trail by a mountain lion. This type of encounter, though rare, usually favors the mountain lion (as after all they are expert hunters), but not this time. It seems the runner struck the large cat with a rock and the proceeded to strangle it to death. Frankly I can get out of my mind the idea of a runner (likely fit, but slight) wrestling to death a large, powerful, agile cat with big, sharp claws.

"....The bloodied Colorado trail runner who fought off a rare mountain lion attack pummeled the young cat with a rock, wrestled it to the ground and ultimately choked the animal to death with his hands, arms and feet, state wildlife officials said Tuesday.

The man — who is his 30s and has yet to be publicly identified — was released from a hospital Tuesday morning after being treated for bite wounds and lacerations to his face and arms.

“This is crazy but true. We have no reason to believe that this is a hoax,” said Rebecca Ferrell, spokeswoman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

The shocking tale of survival on Larimer County’s Horsetooth Mountain quickly spread far beyond Colorado, with news of Monday’s attack prompting media calls from around the world, as well as suggestions of film and book deals, and even marriage proposals, Ferrell said. Gov. Jared Polis chimed in too, posting on his Facebook page: “Don’t mess with Colorado trail runners.”

“He should never have to buy another beer in his life,” Ferrell said

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/05/how-runner-killed-mountain-lion-attack-larimer-county/

Last edited:
I came across this article in yesterday's Denver Post. It seems that a runner was attacked on the trail by a mountain lion. This type of encounter, though rare, usually favors the mountain lion (as after all they are expert hunters), but not this time. It seems the runner struck the large cat with a rock and the proceeded to strangle it to death. Frankly I can get out of my mind the idea of a runner (likely fit, but slight) wrestling to death a large, powerful, agile cat with big, sharp claws.

The guy lived because he kept his wits about him, and found himself a BFR. Lesson the BFR is still a useful reliable tool. Oh and keep your wits about you.

I heard it was a juvenile mountain lion. Still an impressive, if unfortunate, feat.

I heard it was a juvenile mountain lion. Still an impressive, if unfortunate, feat.

Yea same here. About 80 pounds. Still impressive I agree.

The guy lived because he kept his wits about him, and found himself a BFR. Lesson the BFR is still a useful reliable tool. Oh and keep your wits about you.

It's amazing he was able to subdue a powerful predator like a mountain lion. I hadn't heard he'd used a Benthic Freon Receptacle though.

It's amazing he was able to subdue a powerful predator like a mountain lion. I hadn't heard he'd used a Benthic Freon Receptacle though.

Big ****ing Rock. Ole reliable since the days BEFORE fire.

OH.

I don't speak acronym so well.

I heard he choked the beast to death.

Its a military thing I picked up in the sandbox. Rocks are very useful in caveman sort of way. The guy in another article about the incident with the cougar had said he used a rock somewhere in his struggle with the very large and apparently hungry cat.

Back
Top Bottom