• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

colorado town cancels 4th of july parade after local group promises armed march

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
this recent story shows how some people are protesting the passage of colorados new gun laws.

Tea Party Worries Colorado Town With Planned July 4 Gun March | TPM LiveWire

A tea party group's vow to march with guns in a Fourth of July parade has caused panic in a small Colorado town.

The Southern Colorado Patriots Club announced that its members would march with guns in the annual Independence Day parade in Westcliffe, Colo. to "make a statement that we still believe in our Constitution" to protest new gun control laws in the state, the Denver Post reported. A flier distributed by the group urged members to come to the parade with unarmed rifles.

"All rifles welcome especially the evil black ones," the flier read.

The announcement prompted the Custer County Chamber of Commerce, the event's sponsor, to cancel the parade as nervous citizens circulated a petition to stop the club. Donna Hood, president of the chamber, abstained from the vote to cancel the parade but told the Post that the matter has "polarized this community in a week." The parade was ultimately saved when the Town of Westcliffe agreed to pick up the sponsorship tab.

Although the group has marched with guns in the past, the passage of new statewide gun measures has heightened public sensitivity to the action. The state's new 15-round limit on gun magazines is slated to take effect next week.

We violated your 2nd Amendment rights and if you don't like it then we will violate your 1st Amendment rights too!

Huh? We always have people with guns in our parades. What are they afraid of? Jeez.

We violated your 2nd Amendment rights and if you don't like it then we will violate your 1st Amendment rights too!

That's life in America.

if you call to complain they will surveil you and may lock you in a secret prison to get water boarded.

You have no rights here. We are a insane violent broken nation. The fringes will see us all slaves.

What a bunch of gutless wonders.You can bet if Custer County C of C
was trying to get my business I'd :lamo

there must have been a issue about safety because the group has marched with guns in the past, but with one of the gun laws about to go into effect there was probably some concern about tensions running hot.

That's life in America.

if you call to complain they will surveil you and may lock you in a secret prison to get water boarded.

You have no rights here. We are a insane violent broken nation. The fringes will see us all slaves.

Could not agree more, that is why we need to exorcize our 2nd amendment rights.

Huh? We always have people with guns in our parades. What are they afraid of? Jeez.

one of colorados new gun laws is scheduled to take effect next week, so the purpose of the march was to protest the passage of the gun laws.

there must have been a issue about safety because the group has marched with guns in the past, but with one of the gun laws about to go into effect there was probably some concern about tensions running hot.

I heard now they are threatening to march with pop tarts bitten into the shape of a gun.

If people want to express their support for the 2nd ammendment... why not protest?

I mean, is peaceful protest and entirely alien phenomenon to these people? Let me tell you, greater things can be accomplished through words than through guns. And brandishing them about just makes one look either stupid... or aggressive.

one of colorados new gun laws is scheduled to take effect next week, so the purpose of the march was to protest the passage of the gun laws.

And what's wrong with protesting a law?

We can have people exorcizing their first Amendment rights over the violation of their second Amendment rights!

And what's wrong with protesting a law?

nothing is wrong with protesting a law.

it's just that some people were worried about the thought of armed protests happening in a 4th of July parade. It would have meant a lot more work for security.

nothing is wrong with protesting a law.

it's just that some people were worried about the thought of armed protests happening in a 4th of July parade. It would have meant a lot more work for security.

All you have to do is make sure the guns aren't loaded. Not difficult.

We can have people exorcizing their first Amendment rights over the violation of their second Amendment rights!

i believe the word you meant to say is "Exercising"

"Exorcizing" is the art of getting rid of ghosts and demonic possession

Should have though about that before you started violating people's rights.

i believe the word you meant to say is "Exercising"

"Exorcizing" is the art of getting rid of ghosts and demonic possession

You don't think people that violate other people's rights are demonically possessed?

To start with anyone that voted for the patriot act, NDAA or Obamacare. That would be the low hanging fruit that would most likely catch most of em.

So you want to shoot the President and some congressmen.

A lot of people talk like you, but I think its all talk and no walk.

Back
Top Bottom