• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado property management company tells tenets...

They can not ban a constitutional right that is protected. Only if is is alignment with state or local laws.
How they will get around it, or try. Is through their insurance carrier.
But they are opening up a can of worms that I dont think they are going to win.

And we have right to contract as well. When you agree to rent from an individual, you sign contract and if the contract states no dogs or no firearms, then that's that. You agree to it as is your right to do, but you've agreed to it.

Unless you don't want to rent to a homosexual, an athiest, a Muslim, a black person, a Hispanic person, an Asian, Indian or other nationality. It is nonsesense to say your complex is "private" and you can do what you want - that simply is not true.

Show me where it says I cannot exclude gun owners from my private residence and then show why it can't be applied to apartments.

Unless you don't want to rent to a homosexual, an athiest, a Muslim, a black person, a Hispanic person, an Asian, Indian or other nationality. It is nonsesense to say your complex is "private" and you can do what you want - that simply is not true.

Not universally, there are protections for certain classes, but you cannot discuss the justness of those without being called racist or sexist or something else.

However why are they thus allowed to discriminate against a gun owners - for example someone who must maintain a firearm for their employment?
Because there is not a law which prohibits it.
If there were such a law, then they would be prohibited by it.

As was pointed out in many leases there is a clause that they can go into your residence to check on the condition of it.

That is not a search. They cannot open drawers, closet doors, look in cupboards and they must give notice prior to coming in. In Florida I think its at least 24 hours.
They can not just show up and demand to be let in.

Show me where it says I cannot exclude gun owners from my private residence and then show why it can't be applied to apartments.

You just said it, its your private residence. You also happen to live there. Most people dont live with their property manager or land lord.

And we have right to contract as well. When you agree to rent from an individual, you sign contract and if the contract states no dogs or no firearms, then that's that. You agree to it as is your right to do, but you've agreed to it.

Renting from an individual is different then renting form a company that oversees a multi family complex.

That is not a search. They cannot open drawers, closet doors, look in cupboards and they must give notice prior to coming in. In Florida I think its at least 24 hours.
They can not just show up and demand to be let in.
I think that generally the deal is that the tenant must allow some sort "reasonable" access. Which means that the LL cannot demand to be let in any time. but the tenant cannot deny access indefinitely.

I'm not saying its code - did I say that? NO I said its illegal to discriminate against protected groups of people is it not? Those saying a property owner is 100% free to do whatever they want are wrong; they are not free to discriminate against various groups of people (which I'm ok with). SO maybe it is time that gun owners be considered a protected group of people since its clear the radical left is prepared to discriminate against them? We already have some media outlets publishing their names and addresses. So maybe they are in need of legal protections too?

And perhaps such a law is needed. If someone is going to discriminate against a gun owners I believe it just as wrong as discriminating against a person of a particular age, religion or race.

Because there is not a law which prohibits it.
If there were such a law, then they would be prohibited by it.

Renting from an individual is different then renting form a company that oversees a multi family complex.

Perchance, but it's all set forth through contract yes?

As was pointed out in many leases there is a clause that they can go into your residence to check on the condition of it.

That doesn't mean they have the right to go through your personal property, look under your mattress, inspect all your personal furniture. Plenty of places to hide firearms.

Do you really not understand the difference between YOUR private residence and a property that people pay rent to live in? Really?

How would that clause in the contract be enforced.
You know, you cannot sign away a right.
How do gag orders work?
Don't those violate the right to free speech by your reckoning?

How would that clause in the contract be enforced.
You know, you cannot sign away a right.

You cannot, but you can authorize force against exercise. Ultimately it's government force for any problem arising in contract can find its way to the courts. So if you agree to a contract that states you cannot have guns in your apartment and they find guns in your apartment, you can be booted out. That's the force. If you push back against it, government will intercede to evict you.

You cannot, but you can authorize force against exercise. Ultimately it's government force for any problem arising in contract can find its way to the courts. So if you agree to a contract that states you cannot have guns in your apartment and they find guns in your apartment, you can be booted out. That's the force. If you push back against it, government will intercede to evict you.
Nope, its a civil issue. As are all evictions.

How do gag orders work?
Don't those violate the right to free speech by your reckoning?
Depends on why the gag order is issued.
If it is for the protection of a victim or witness, I have no issue with it.

If the company said wearing religious items was against their rules, that say a rosary might offend people so you can not have them if you live there, would that be fine with those of you that support the anti-gun 'rule'?

The apartment complex can just as well announce "No gays" and "No blacks or Hispanics" and Im certain the current crop of supporters of their anti-gun position will be just as ready to support their position.

Cops never help with evictions? Courts are never involved?
Courts can give an order to evict, cops go only make sure there is no trouble.
I help a friend that rents homes out. The cops just sit in their cruiser for effect.
Cops cant lift a finger unless the renter does something stupid like shove one of us or barracade himself or threaten us with a gun.

The apartment complex can just as well announce "No gays" and "No blacks or Hispanics" and Im certain the current crop of supporters of their anti-gun position will be just as ready to support their position.
I think all that was fixed around 1968. Catch up.

Courts can give an order to evict, cops go only make sure there is no trouble.
I help a friend that rents homes out. The cops just sit in their cruiser for effect.
Cops cant lift a finger unless the renter does something stupid like shove one of us or barracade himself or threaten us with a gun.

So ultimately it's backed by the government. If the dude you wanted to evict handcuffed himself to something inside, or sat in middle of a room and refused to move, would the cops aid in removal?

Back
Top Bottom