• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado property management company tells tenets...

Wow. That's not gonna go over well.

"Hey criminals! See those apts there? All the residents in them are soon to be unarmed!"

Open season.

Private property management companies can tell their clients anything they want really.

For all intents purposes, the units they let out are still their property, as such they can demand almost anything of the tenants in terms of standards for living in those units.

Whether you agree with the company or not... And I certainly don't...

They can say and do what they want, and people are free to go live somewhere else.

That's the way it works.

But alas... The 3rd party feeling of persecution by gun owners in this thread shall now rain down like a Orlando afternoon thunderstorm.

If it is not in the lease and the lease does not allow unilateral modification of the relevant terms, then I would sue them for declaratory relief. Beyond that, the tenants are pretty up the creek if they do not have a lease or the lease allows modification of the rules I still might would sue them anyway under the argument that weapons is too vague--kitchen knives are weapons under the law.

If it is not in the lease and the lease does not allow unilateral modification of the relevant terms, then I would sue them for declaratory relief. Beyond that, the tenants are pretty up the creek if they do not have a lease or the lease allows modification of the rules I still might would sue them anyway under the argument that weapons is too vague--kitchen knives are weapons under the law.

The apartment will just wait until their lease is up or release them from their lease early if the rule is in effect during their current lease. Either way the apartments won't be sued for this.

they must get rid of their guns...

Castle Rock apartment tenants told they must get rid of their guns | 9news.com

Feel free to contact the company and let them know what you think...

If he has a lease, they can't do a thing until his lease is up. If he's month-to-month, he has few options. I'm trying to think of a parallel. Guns are legal in Colorado. So are dogs. Can a landlord say, "No dogs"? Yep. So I guess "No guns" works as well. That's one parallel. Another might be: it's a legal right to vote in Colorado; guns are legal rights, too. "If you live in our apartments, you can't vote." Hmmmm.....

Maybe the NRA will take this on.

The apartment will just wait until their lease is up or release them from their lease early if the rule is in effect during their current lease. Either way the apartments won't be sued for this.

Well, yes on the renewal but I would still sue them if I lived there and wanted to stay. I don't think releasing them works in the situation because the contract gives both sides rights under the law.

Private property management companies can tell their clients anything they want really.

Yes they can. Of course my response would have been.... "Fine. The firearms and I are giving you 30 days notice that we will no longer be leasing/rentint property from you." I would then do my level best to be out of that apartment/condo ASAP. Within the week if I could. I'd literally live in my car if necessary to get the hell out of that place as quickly as possible.

Oh, if someone has the money, he'll be sued. If I were the judge, I'd be hard pressed to enforce their rules. We're talking about a private residence . . . and a landlord saying you have to give up your Constitutional rights in order to live there. I don't think it's that cut and dry.

If he has a lease, they can't do a thing until his lease is up. If he's month-to-month, he has few options. I'm trying to think of a parallel. Guns are legal in Colorado. So are dogs. Can a landlord say, "No dogs"? Yep. So I guess "No guns" works as well. That's one parallel. Another might be: it's a legal right to vote in Colorado; guns are legal rights, too. "If you live in our apartments, you can't vote." Hmmmm.....

I run into this from time to time with pitbulls. Landlords will allow pets in the lease but then wheh their insurance skyrockets or gets cancelled because the tenant has a pitbull, my response is always the same even if they are my client--sucks for you. I asked about pets when I drafted your lease and you said yes. Gotta wait until the lease is up or convince them to move voluntarily.

Well, yes on the renewal but I would still sue them if I lived there and wanted to stay. I don't think releasing them works in the situation because the contract gives both sides rights under the law.

If you are on for renewal you would lose. The apartment has every right to change rules, up the rent, etc as long as they adhere to the lease you signed. After that lease is up, even if you wanted to stay, they can make changes after the current lease is up.

The only difference would be some states do not allow things to be changed during the lease time. Varies from state-to-state. However, the states that due allow changes during a lease simply state they have to give the tenant a certain amount of time notice and they would have to release them from their current lease.

Oh, if someone has the money, he'll be sued. If I were the judge, I'd be hard pressed to enforce their rules. We're talking about a private residence . . . and a landlord saying you have to give up your Constitutional rights in order to live there. I don't think it's that cut and dry.

That's just it, the OWNER of the apartment property/complex makes the rules. Just like if I let someone stay in my house, I have every right to tell them they can't bring a gun into my house.

For all intents purposes, the units they let out are still their property, as such they can demand almost anything of the tenants in terms of standards for living in those units.

Whether you agree with the company or not... And I certainly don't...

They can say and do what they want, and people are free to go live somewhere else.

That's the way it works.

But alas... The 3rd party feeling of persecution by gun owners in this thread shall now rain down like a Orlando afternoon thunderstorm.
A property manager cannot tell a person what legal things he can and cannot own.

While I don't think there would be a problem with this policy as long as it was implemented properly, I think it'd be hilarious if everyone moved out at the same time.

That's just it, the OWNER of the apartment property/complex makes the rules. Just like if I let someone stay in my house, I have every right to tell them they can't bring a gun into my house.
Renting a room out and renting multiplex apartments are two vastly different things.

How are they going to find out anyway. They cannot search your apartment.

If you are on for renewal you would lose. The apartment has every right to change rules, up the rent, etc as long as they adhere to the lease you signed. After that lease is up, even if you wanted to stay, they can make changes after the current lease is up.

The only difference would be some states do not allow things to be changed during the lease time. Varies from state-to-state. However, the states that due allow changes during a lease simply state they have to give the tenant a certain amount of time notice and they would have to release them from their current lease.

Well in my state they are pretty sacrosanct and limited to the four corners of the document if it exists except when it comes to tangible safety issues like the ceilings falling down or leaks not being fixed. The Landlord as the owner has no greater right than the tenants as the leaseholder than what is in the contract.

Guns are protected by the Constitution though, not dogs.

Guns are protected by the Constitution though, not dogs.

To a point yes. I also have the right constitutionally to kick you out of my house if you bring one in and I don't want it there. The owner has rights as well.

A property manager cannot tell a person what legal things he can and cannot own.

They do so all the time.

I can't have a satellite dish.

It's Legal to own one.

But my property doesn't allow me to, to maintain the look of the building.

Feel free to contact the company and let them know what you think...

Dear Castle Rock Apartments,

Please do not create a voluntary contract with your tenants and potential tenants which is to your liking.
Please make a contract which is pleasing to me, someone who will never rent from you otherwise contribute to your business.
The reason you should do this is because I think you should.

Sincerely,

Concerned Busybody

They do so all the time.

I can't have a satellite dish.

It's Legal to own one.

But my property doesn't allow me to, to maintain the look of the building.
Because it goes on the outside of the building.
If everyone had a satellite dish and a major storm came through, the building owner would be liable for damage of flying satellite dishes.
I am talking about inside.

Back
Top Bottom