• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado police beat, hogtie septuagenarian with dementia and then deny her medical treatment

Had she been black there'd be riots across the nation and the cop would be under arrest.
Gee, I wonder why. Guess it’s just another example of all the societal advantages black people have had in the US. Good of you to point it out.

Another shining example of American policing.

Karen Garner suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia. She had just left a Wal Mart with a grand total of $13.88 in items she had forgotten to pay for and was walking home. An officer approaches her and Garner, confused and unable to understand what he is saying, continues walking. Less than 10 seconds after their first encounter, Officer Austin Hoops had slammed the 73 year old to the ground and handcuffed her. She was later hog tied. Her injuries included a dislocated shoulder, broken arm, sprained wrist, and a bloody lip, but you wouldn't know that from the initial police report, which claimed she had no injuries.

After more than 6 hours in detention without any treatment, Garner was finally taken to a hospital. We still have to see if she will also be portrayed as a thug who deserved the treatment she received.

DISGUSTING!!!!

I can't even right now and this is what police reform is all about. Better training.

Taking care of my mom and losing her to brain cancer and thinking about when she was disoriented this makes me so sad. If this was my mom I'd be in jail 🤷‍♂️

I responded to you saying Excasts suggestion wasnt practical. I was curious what you thought wasnt practical about it?
Speak for yourself bud.

Speak for yourself bud.
I really dont need to, per se.....Excast suggested all the pertinent things that could have been done before the situation got to where it did....Ill let his words speak for themselves:

1. Walk in front of her and try to speak with her again.
2. Call for some medical assistance to perhaps ascertain if she has an issue.
3. Ask for her name so you can radio in and see if there is some information or if she has been reported missing.

What is impractical about any of those suggestions?

Karen Garner suffered a dislocated shoulder, fractured arm and sprained wrist after officers with the Loveland Police Department slammed her to the ground and hog-tied her June 26, 2020, the lawsuit states.

She's white, so according to the political left, she's a racist, hence she deserved these injuries and more.

I really dont need to, per se.....Excast suggested all the pertinent things that could have been done before the situation got to where it did....Ill let his words speak for themselves:

What is impractical about any of those suggestions?
The problem is that this happens all the time. Unless you want to massively grow the police and social services they do what they can with the resources that are available. It is easy to criticize but if that is all there is that is all there is.

The problem is that this happens all the time. Unless you want to massively grow the police and social services they do what they can with the resources that are available. It is easy to criticize but if that is all there is that is all there is.
You dont have to increase the size of police forces to change the focus of said forces. Instead of spending so much time training them in physical tactics, how about using that time to teach these people to reason JUST A LITTLE BIT.

Some US police seem to be inhuman beings with psycopathic tendencies. How can it be that they were recruited in the first place?

I worry about that often with the president we now have......how can it be this crooked politician, who could barely fill a porta potty with supporters during the campaign, received 80 million votes....I refuse to believe there are that many stupid people.

Oh, so she wasn't related to you?

Just making a valid point.....where's the outcry when a policeman is murdered.....not taking anything away from the woman who suffered at the hands of that loser, but constantly showing these few instances makes it seem this is going on all over the place, each and everyday......newsflash, it is not. It's just another "narrative" the left is pushing for political gain and advantage and it's sickening to see.

THE greatest positive impact? More than families? Churches? Schools?

If you're going to make an extraordinary claim like that, you are expected to produce extraordinary evidence. So let's see that evidence.

You are just causing trouble, misquoting my words, and purposefully I might add. I never said police make the greatest positive impact in our communities.....I said, "police make great positive impact on our communities"......see the diabolical deceit of this poster, for just by adding three more letters to the word "great" to "greatest", she has changed the meaning and intent of my words......this here is how they roll. I will await your apology.

You are just causing trouble, misquoting my words, and purposefully I might add. I never said police make the greatest positive impact in our communities.....I said, "police make great positive impact on our communities"......see the diabolical deceit of this poster, for just by adding three more letters to the word "great" to "greatest", she has changed the meaning and intent of my words......this here is how they roll. I will await your apology.

You win this round. I saw a word that simply didn't exist. Mea culpa.

I'm not going to second guess the cops with as little information has been released at present by the apparently cop-hating media.
Standard 48-72 hours waiting period instituted, at least on my part.

Some questions though, if she's as debilitated as she appears to be, how'd she get to that WalMart? How would she get back to where she came from?
I rather doubt that she'd be capable of driving herself, so someone drove her?
Only an American would ask that last question. Everyone else would assume she walked. The report says that she was violently assaulted 'two blocks' from her home.

And you are absolutely correct that the police are called for things they shouldn't be called for but they get all the damn money and when you say something about restructuring the police so that mental health professionals address mental health calls, they and the right lose their shit and tell you that you hate the police. I see no one on the right calling for a restructuring of policing. Just ore money for policing the same way.

Here's how I think this should have went. It's not clear the store knew she had dementia. Woman enters store, takes items, leaves. As far as they know, that's basic shoplifting. I have no issue with the police rather than a team for people with problems, which very likely doesn't exist, was called. My issue was with how the police handled it.

Seeing the alleged crime - $14 - the age and appearance of the suspect (not that I'm for 'racial profiling' or such, but their safety was clearly not much of an issue with her) - they could have approached her calmly, and talked to her, and determined she had issues, at that point they should have recognized they were dealing with someone who had difficulties.

That's when the 'other team' should have been brought in if there was a team, but there isn't so that's when they could have done anything from *gently* arresting her for shoplifting to trying to determine contact information for her loved ones/caregiver to discuss the situation.

Police don't normally let shoplifters pay for the items or give them back; in this case they might have or could have still arrested her, but again, gently. Either way, that's it. Charged or not, they don't injure her, and they get her back to her caregiver, and talk to the caregiver about the danger of her gong out alone.

Of course if there was a team this would be far easier. Talk to her, determine the situation, return the items, return her home, that's it. IMO, this officer should be fired, reforms should be done, and the leadership who created this culture should be held accountable for it, depending on their response and culpability.

If she was black she would be dead.
You don't know that. I see no point in wild unsupported assertions, especially as only a tiny percentage of so-called ''black'' people who have interactions with police officers end up dead.

I don’t disagree but it’s no easy thing caring for an old person whose grasp of reality is questionable (i know from personal experience)

In any case that is a separate question from whether or not the use of force is justifable - either from a legal/policy standpoint or from a public relations perspective.
True, they are 2 different questions.

When I start to see police coming forward en masse, calling out the rot within their ranks and demanding change, then I will be more willing to give the good guys the benefit of the doubt.

Where are they?
You and I don't agree on a lot, but I agree with this sentiment.

The good cops definitely need to do some policing of their own.

However, that does not justify the vilification of the police going on today.

Here's how I think this should have went. It's not clear the store knew she had dementia. Woman enters store, takes items, leaves. As far as they know, that's basic shoplifting. I have no issue with the police rather than a team for people with problems, which very likely doesn't exist, was called. My issue was with how the police handled it.

Hundreds of dollars in public man-hours for call-out, arrests, administration etc. - possibly thousands of dollars - over a forgetful old lady with $14 of unpaid goods? Unless it'd happened with her before that seems pretty stupid on the store's part. Walmart obviously can't afford to let something like that go unpunished! Wouldn't be surprised if they called 911 for this emergency too.

Back
Top Bottom