• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colorado police beat, hogtie septuagenarian with dementia and then deny her medical treatment

Hundreds of dollars in public man-hours for call-out, arrests, administration etc. - possibly thousands of dollars - over a forgetful old lady with $14 of unpaid goods? Unless it'd happened with her before that seems pretty stupid on the store's part. Walmart obviously can't afford to let something like that go unpunished! Wouldn't be surprised if they called 911 for this emergency too.

It's constantly the case that the cost of law enforcement greatly exceeds the cost of the crime. Person steals a car for a joyride, think of the cost of catching them, trying them, jailing them. Wal-Mart simply has procedures that don't likely allow for 'thinking outside the box', they rely on 'the system' to handle the situation, that's where the reforms are needed.

You and I don't agree on a lot, but I agree with this sentiment.

The good cops definitely need to do some policing of their own.

However, that does not justify the vilification of the police going on today.

Yes and no. I want to agree, but recognize that the *realistic* alternative might be no protest or change; if this is what's needed to improve things, it's probably the better option. This seems to be the common situation - bureaucracy leads to complacency and ongoing injustices, and when they finally erupt, it's not always nice and neat. It's the question, how do you keep good government operating?

I think that it's not uncommon that the people who recognize the problem and organize a response might have their own motives at times rather than just being 'good government' advocates. It's why we have sayings such as 'power corrupts' and 'Meet the new boss, same as the old boss'.

It's constantly the case that the cost of law enforcement greatly exceeds the cost of the crime. Person steals a car for a joyride, think of the cost of catching them, trying them, jailing them. Wal-Mart simply has procedures that don't likely allow for 'thinking outside the box', they rely on 'the system' to handle the situation, that's where the reforms are needed.
I don‘t about where you live but here in NYC and it’s suburbs the cops don’t catch car thieves or any other kind of non violent thief for that matter. They take a report so you have something for your insurance company and that’s it. Last I had to file a police report for a theft - one of kids had her car broken into and some personal stuff stolen - it took all of 15 minutes.

Back some years ago (like 25-30), stores had their own "security" tasked with shoplifters. I worked at such a place when I was 15, chasing people outside the store when we knew they stole something. Attempting to apprehend them and only after being caught did we call the police. Most times they would drop the item and just run but others resulted in out and out fights.

In today's world, this is a recipe for disaster:

1. The 15 yr old gets shot or knifed
2. The 15 yr old is overzealous and gets sued for hurting the shoplifter.

Back some years ago (like 25-30), stores had their own "security" tasked with shoplifters. I worked at such a place when I was 15, chasing people outside the store when we knew they stole something. Attempting to apprehend them and only after being caught did we call the police. Most times they would drop the item and just run but others resulted in out and out fights.

In today's world, this is a recipe for disaster:

1. The 15 yr old gets shot or knifed
2. The 15 yr old is overzealous and gets sued for hurting the shoplifter.

I'm not sure how that's related to my comments, but I agree except it was a recipe for disaster then and now, which is why it's gone.

Well we can now bring these cops up on torture and maiming charges.

Turns out they had an ulterior motive for making "cool" "live-action" movies with their bodycam footage. They can been be seen admitting to KNOWING about the dislocation and lied about it. These cops prison sentence just went into the 5-10 year range.

"I cant believe i threw a 76 year old woman to the ground!"
"Listen to the pop!"
"Its like live action tv!"

I wonder how much of the accountability for this is because of the media coverage.

I don't think that anyone is going to argue with you that the police are human beings, capable of good and bad, but for every article you can post similar to this, I can post a hundred thousand of the good and great things police are doing in our communities, therefore your premise is faulty at best and admittedly not worth the time or effort.
How does the 1000s of good things other cops do excuse what this cop did?

Are we suppose to conclude that a 73 yr old woman resisted enough to justify the level of force the cop used?

How does the 1000s of good things other cops do excuse what this cop did?

Are we suppose to conclude that a 73 yr old woman resisted enough to justify the level of force the cop used?

Because it's like me accusing everybody in your town of being a thief, when you are the only one who stole anything.

Man this cop that popped her shoulder is a Grade A sicko. And notice they admit all their violations openly in front of each other and just disregard it.

"Stupid question, did you read her her Miranda Rights?"
"Nope"
*everyone continues on like they didnt hear anything*

Criminal charges for the officers. But why arent they charging them with torture? You can hear in the ladys cell camera the officers watching the video and laughing at her instead of getting her medical attention. You then hear FROM HER CELL CAMERA the officers laughing at the pops in her arm and abusing her so she has to listen to them laugh at the video over and over before she even has had medical attention AS THEY ADMIT TO POPPING HER ARM OUT. Im sorry but this is straight up torture and that cops needs at least 20 years prison.

Back
Top Bottom