• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

College Football.

soccerboy22

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
So, College football has started. Anyone willing to pick the National Champion? I heard some guy on ESPN say it would be UConn. I myself think 'Bama will win it again, but I haven't been paying that much attention to any school yet. Also, favorite teams? Sadly BU doesn't have a football team so I don't have really anyone to cheer for.

All the usual suspects are at the top of the list. If Boise St. handles it business this year, they'll get a shot since they got ranked in the top 5. I don't think they will though because Va Tech will beat them down. I forsee a SEC/Big Ten matchup in the title game. Nebraska may make a run in its final season as a Big 12 member. Of course I am pulling for the Badgers, but they tend to disappoint in seasons they start out ranked high(#12 this year).

I'm psyched. I'm pulling for my Wolverines as usual, but my hopes aren't high. At least if they do poorly again this season, it is almost a certainty that they'll fire Rich Rodriguez. Gotta look for the silver lining, right?

At least you have a football team to root for. I am just in limbo since BU has no team.

I'm going with Boise st. They are returning just about their whole team, and will be facing a couple of tough teams early on which will help them in the BCS.

Plus, that lurid blue turf they play on must cause some sensory overload in their opponents.

I don't think Boise St. will make it to the National Championship game this year. Aside from playing two really good teams they don't really play anyone. I do think, though, that they will get into a pretty good bowl game. And yeah that field is kind of an eye killer.

Well, Michigan won yesterday, and looked fairly decent doing it. I saw a few things that worried me, but not as many as I feared I would.

Next week will be a much better test of their abilities as a team though.

The Michigan game was pretty good. I was pissed that UNC almost came back against LSU. I hate that damn school.

Obligated former Duke fan stance.

I don't care who wins it - as long as it's not Ohio State.

I can't really gauge my team yesterday since their defense isn't properly weighed from how many times UConn simply dropped the pass. However, beating a team by three touchdowns that some people picked to win the Big East is a good sign.

Couple that with the fact that Notre Dame didn't exactly put away a Purdue team that isn't expected to do much as usual, I think next week will be telling.

I hope for Alabama and Boise State, more for Boise State. They've been getting disrespected, even after returning 21 of 22 staters from a team that went 13-0 last year with a BCS victory (Fiesta). Tomorrow, Tyrod Taylor's going to be slapped up and down the field.

Hook em Horns. I predict that the #2 ranked Texas Longhorns will be National Champs.

FP3926Texas-Longhorns-Logo-Posters.jpg

Last edited:
I don't care who wins it - as long as it's not Ohio State.

I can't really gauge my team yesterday since their defense isn't properly weighed from how many times UConn simply dropped the pass. However, beating a team by three touchdowns that some people picked to win the Big East is a good sign.

Couple that with the fact that Notre Dame didn't exactly put away a Purdue team that isn't expected to do much as usual, I think next week will be telling.

I hope for Alabama and Boise State, more for Boise State. They've been getting disrespected, even after returning 21 of 22 staters from a team that went 13-0 last year with a BCS victory (Fiesta). Tomorrow, Tyrod Taylor's going to be slapped up and down the field.

I think their schedule is being disrespected more than the team is. I don't doubt that the team is good, but I don't know that they should get the National Championship game because of their schedule.

Oh, I'm sorry. Apparently you missed that train wreck vs. Rice the other day.

soccerboy said:
I think their schedule is being disrespected more than the team is. I don't doubt that the team is good, but I don't know that they should get the National Championship game because of their schedule.

I can't argue that the WAC does water down their merit some. Having said that, Peterson and the BSU president has practically begged major programs to play them. There have been Yahoo reports that they don't even have to agree to home-and-home splits. Boise State would go to them. They absolutely controlled an Oregon team last year in the first game that went on to win every other regular season game that year, only to lose to the douchebags down in Columbus. The game was memorable - even without the Legarrette Blount sucker-punch of Byron Haut.

This year they agreed to go all the way out to Maryland to play Beemerball essentially in their own backyard. Let's face it - nooooooooooobody wants a piece of Boise State. That right there automatically makes me think that there's something to them.

I'm aware of the fact that beating Louisiant Tech, Fresno State and Nevada isn't exactly winning them brownie points, but they've consistently played top ten teams and lived to tell the tale. Last year, there were murmurs of TCU being on equal ground to Alabama and Texas.

There's an easy way to settle this. The Big 12 winner will not be a 1 loss team, this I'm sure of. If the SEC winner is a 1-loss team, the Big 12 isn't a 1 loss conference winner, and nobody goes perfect in the Big 10 or Pac 10, an undefeated Boise State should play for the national championship. Big and Pac do not have a SOS boosted by a championship game to have a "right" at playing for it.

Boise State has earned the right. Three perfect seasons in the last six and two BCS victories earns it in my eyes.

I feel what you are saying and I root for the team, but I think they need either two wins against those big schools or a win/lose and they should be considered for the BCS title game. I just feel bad for them because if they were in the Big 12 and went as a one lose school we wouldn't even be having this conversation because they would have earned the right.

If they lose at any point to any team, they're gone. Same with TCU. If they had lost to Oregon State, their season was over.

I can't argue that the WAC does water down their merit some. Having said that, Peterson and the BSU president has practically begged major programs to play them. There have been Yahoo reports that they don't even have to agree to home-and-home splits. Boise State would go to them. They absolutely controlled an Oregon team last year in the first game that went on to win every other regular season game that year, only to lose to the douchebags down in Columbus. The game was memorable - even without the Legarrette Blount sucker-punch of Byron Haut.

This year they agreed to go all the way out to Maryland to play Beemerball essentially in their own backyard. Let's face it - nooooooooooobody wants a piece of Boise State. That right there automatically makes me think that there's something to them.

I'm aware of the fact that beating Louisiant Tech, Fresno State and Nevada isn't exactly winning them brownie points, but they've consistently played top ten teams and lived to tell the tale. Last year, there were murmurs of TCU being on equal ground to Alabama and Texas.

There's an easy way to settle this. The Big 12 winner will not be a 1 loss team, this I'm sure of. If the SEC winner is a 1-loss team, the Big 12 isn't a 1 loss conference winner, and nobody goes perfect in the Big 10 or Pac 10, an undefeated Boise State should play for the national championship. Big and Pac do not have a SOS boosted by a championship game to have a "right" at playing for it.

Boise State has earned the right. Three perfect seasons in the last six and two BCS victories earns it in my eyes.

This right here is why I hate the BCS. College football needs to switch to a playoff system so badly.

I agree, although BCS loyalists will say, "Well, with the BCS we already have a playoff - a two man playoff".

There's just one problem with that. I think it was back in '04 where Oklahoma and USC were undefeated and played for the title. Only problem is that Auburn was also undefeated. An undefeated SEC team didn't get to play for the BCS title. Nowadays you wouldn't hear of that.

You'll have to talk to the NCAA university presidents. They're the only ones stopping this. Teams want it. ADs want it. People want it. Advertisers sure as hell want it.

I would've loved to have been able to play Nebraska back in the 97 season. It was a joke that we had to split the title with them. That Michigan defense was among the best all-time in college football. Hell, a defensive player even won the Heisman (C. Woodson). That right there should describe how lockdown it was. He was Revis before Revis was Revis.

But no. We had to kick around a pathetic Washington State team in the Rose. That game was over before it started. It was also the beginning of the downward spiral for poor Ryan Leaf.

Okay, I'm done. DON'T TALK TO ME OKAY? YOU GOT IT?

I want a playoff, but I also realize that more schools get money the way it is now so I am sort of torn on the issue.

USC has issues on the defensive side; lack of depth is going to hurt, too. Shame, really. Barkley and Johnson are really good.

Games Of Note This Weekend:

Florida State vs. Oklahoma: FSU's improved and OU struggled with Utah State in Norman. Best play at QB will win: Jones vs. Ponder.
Miami vs. Ohio State: Miami's back. Their defensive youth has evolved into a collection of seasoned assasins.
Penn State vs. Alabama: A true freshman QB starting against a Nick Saban-led juggernaut in Tuscaloosa.
Oregon vs. Tennessee: Tennessee's terrible, but the Ducks may be the type of squad they can handle. Vols have good lateral quickness; teams that ram it down your throat (Bama) will beat them with absolute ease.
Michigan vs. Notre Dame: Rich Rod has ostensibly found his QB. A 2-0 start vs. the likes of UCONN and Brian Kelly surely has to silence some of his critics, right?

Last edited:
Last year we started the season 4-0. We ended 5-7 and 1-7 in conference play.

Trust me - I don't look at a win vs. UConn and get all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The verdict's still out, although I will say that Denard Robinson looked good for the purpose he serves in that spread run that Rodriguez likes to employ. I just wonder how he can handle the times when they're down 6 on their own 10 with a minute fifteen left to play.

Ohio State will just do to Miami what they did in the BCS championship seven years ago - intentionally go out and hurt any Miami player worth a damn. Jacory Harris probably has a bounty on his head right now, as the spirit of that cheating punk Woody Hayes still lives in that horseshoe.

Last year we started the season 4-0. We ended 5-7 and 1-7 in conference play.

Trust me - I don't look at a win vs. UConn and get all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The verdict's still out, although I will say that Denard Robinson looked good for the purpose he serves in that spread run that Rodriguez likes to employ. I just wonder how he can handle the times when they're down 6 on their own 10 with a minute fifteen left to play.
Rich Rod's a good coach. The Michigan thing just hasn't been a good fit, but he still has time to turn it around. Rich Rod is much better suited for a school that has more leniant admission standards. Noel Devine doesn't sniff admission in Ann Arbor.

Miami vs. Ohio State: Miami's back. Their defensive youth has evolved into a collection of seasoned assasins?

Miami will get trounced. Jacory Harris is overrated. UW made their OL look like a collective sack of bitches in the Champs sports bowl. OSU has a better D than UW just about every year. Miami might get 13 points if they are lucky.

Miami will get trounced. Jacory Harris is overrated. UW made their OL look like a collective sack of bitches in the Champs sports bowl. OSU has a better D than UW just about every year. Miami might get 13 points if they are lucky.

Because a meaningless Second-Tier Clothing Bowl last season is a great indicator of how well a team is going to play this season, right? I'm just hoping Seantrel gets to push lil' Iron Head around a bit.

I'm psyched. I'm pulling for my Wolverines as usual, but my hopes aren't high. At least if they do poorly again this season, it is almost a certainty that they'll fire Rich Rodriguez. Gotta look for the silver lining, right?

I've been a die hard Michigan fan since grandpa instilled it in me at about 6 years old. When MI took Rodriguez aboard I knew they would suck for a few years, I made it very clear to one of my best friends a (Buckeye fan) that I fully expected Michigan to have 2 horrible years when Gonzales first took over followed by an improved, but still mediocre by Michigan standards year 3.

The offense does stand to be very exciting once we get the people recruited specifically to be a match for a Rodriguez style offense in place and with a few years under their belt. I am glad Robinson got the start, I was hoping to see him in that spot last year to get the experience leading this offense, he is a perfect fit for the offensive style Rodriquez likes to run, and he will continue to be very exciting to watch. As a sophomore he still has a couple of years under his belt to grow and to shine - so bonus there IMO I think he will do good things. I have faith in the offense and like the direction it is going. Over the next few years the offense will continue to improve as the players under the old style graduate, and the new kids get experience under their belt.

I still have grave concerns over the defense, and wonder if we have any possibility of actually having a degree of excitement and anticipation in seeing an exciting hard hitting turnover creating MI defense taking the field as in days of old. I think they will continue to see more points scored against them than what we are used to. I get the feeling Rodriquez is revamping MI into a high scoring "give me the ball back even if you get a few points" kind of team, quite the departure from Michigan ball of yore.. hell big ten ball for that matter.

The 2 year ****-talking moratorium with my friends I called a few years ago is up, I told them they still would be improving this year, and so I would shrug off some of the **** talk, but I expect them to dish out out, because I will be very critical this year of they do not start to perform myself.. and I really want to be able to dish out some **** talk of my own - yet am powerless to do so. If anything they need to have a winning season so I can say "see I told you that on year 3 things would start to turn around since before he even started coaching"

I see hope on the horizon.. or Rodriquez' scalp and a few more years of crap with yet another coaching transition otherwise - a few more years of crap i can do without.

Last edited:
Rich Rod's a good coach. The Michigan thing just hasn't been a good fit, but he still has time to turn it around. Rich Rod is much better suited for a school that has more leniant admission standards. Noel Devine doesn't sniff admission in Ann Arbor.

He took over with a squad that was perfectly NOT suited to his style of football. The fit between him and the old school players was horrible. We have some recruits now that were specifically picked for his game, so things will be starting to improve as the old guard graduates and the new blood fills the void.

Back
Top Bottom