• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

College Football![W: 749]

Re: College Football!

I'm not entirely sure Bama is out of national contender talk.

Out? Never. Highly unlikely? Meh. It would require losses by two of the following three: ORE, KSU, and ND. I'd also think they have to win the SEC Title game.

Out? Never. Highly unlikely? Meh. It would require losses by two of the following three: ORE, KSU, and ND. I'd also think they have to win the SEC Title game.

I think they'll handle the rest of the schedule pretty easily. Definitely will have to win the SEC game and have AT LEAST one of the three lose.

I think they'll handle the rest of the schedule pretty easily. Definitely will have to win the SEC game and have AT LEAST one of the three lose.

I don't think they'd pick a one loss Bama team over two unbeatens.

that the SEC needs to stop believing it's own press releases; that their teams ought to try playing real out of conference foes instead of patsies; that they might want to try playing a non-conference game on the road.

At the present 6 out of the top 9 teams are SEC. What conference handed Alabama its loss? What conference handed Florida its loss? What conference handed Georgia its loss? What conference handed both losses to South Carolina? Who did LSU lose to? Who did Texas Tech lose to?

I'd like nothing more than to see Notre Dame go toe to toe with 3 SEC teams every year. It would be great if USC would jump in with three or four SEC games annually.

In the SEC we have to slug it out with each other to make it to the top.

I'm not taking anything away from K-State. They've played a pretty good schedule and they deserve to be on top. I like Oregon as well though I K-State played a more difficult schedule. Notre Dame doesn't rock me enough to be Number 3. If they were to play anyone above them up to 10 they'd get their asses handed to them. That will happen in a bowl game.

At the present 6 out of the top 9 teams are SEC. What conference handed Alabama its loss? What conference handed Florida its loss? What conference handed Georgia its loss? What conference handed both losses to South Carolina? Who did LSU lose to? Who did Texas Tech lose to?

I'd like nothing more than to see Notre Dame go toe to toe with 3 SEC teams every year. It would be great if USC would jump in with three or four SEC games annually.

I'm not taking anything away from K-State. They've played a pretty good schedule and they deserve to be on top. I like Oregon as well though I K-State played a more difficult schedule. Notre Dame doesn't rock me enough to be Number 3. If they were to play anyone above them up to 10 they'd get their asses handed to them. That will happen in a bowl game.

I completely agree. Notre Dame is not a top 5 team in my eyes. Their near loss to Pitt really hurt them - at least in my opinion. I'm not saying they aren't a good team but they aren't a great team. Wiggen, if you think the SEC is bad about its press releases, ND is worse than every SEC put together. ESPN won't deny ND any spotlight.

Notre Dame should already have 1 loss...the refs screwed them in the Stanford game.

Well, when the SEC teams only play patsies or each other, who else is going to beat them? And you've got to get out on the road now and again.

I don't think they'd pick a one loss Bama team over two unbeatens.

I woudn't count on that. History has shown that one loss for an SEC team just isn't treated the same as 1 loss for any other team. Somehow, and I've never quite understood why, they go into a special category.

I completely agree. Notre Dame is not a top 5 team in my eyes. Their near loss to Pitt really hurt them - at least in my opinion. I'm not saying they aren't a good team but they aren't a great team. Wiggen, if you think the SEC is bad about its press releases, ND is worse than every SEC put together. ESPN won't deny ND any spotlight.

No, I'm no fan of Notre Dame either. That's why I'm hoping like hell for a KSU-Oregon national championship game. I think USC will beat Notre Dame anyway.

The Freshman QB from Texas Tech is the best in college football. He is a great passer, great runner, and smart decison maker.

I woudn't count on that. History has shown that one loss for an SEC team just isn't treated the same as 1 loss for any other team. Somehow, and I've never quite understood why, they go into a special category.

Usually because that one loss is either in the Title game or against another top 5 team. :shrug:

No, I'm no fan of Notre Dame either. That's why I'm hoping like hell for a KSU-Oregon national championship game. I think USC will beat Notre Dame anyway.

Me too.

The Freshman QB from Texas Tech is the best in college football. He is a great passer, great runner, and smart decison maker.

... until he met Snyder's Lynch Mob Defense and then he got dismantled in the second half. To be a good QB, you have to play 4 strong quarters and he didn't.

Oregon would kill any SEC team it played.

They've tried it a couple of times recently with LSU and Auburn with no luck. Oregon may well beat an SEC team the next time the play one but the wildcard is most of the teams they currently play have terrible defenses. The USC-Oregon game was a joke. Something like 67-58? It may be exciting but to me that is terrible football.

that the SEC needs to stop believing it's own press releases; that their teams ought to try playing real out of conference foes instead of patsies; that they might want to try playing a non-conference game on the road.

I really don't think most of those conferences are eager to trade games with a good SEC team on top of playing in their own conferences. I can only think of two this year were Alabama spanked Michigan and LSU spanked Washington.

They've tried it a couple of times recently with LSU and Auburn with no luck. Oregon may well beat an SEC team the next time the play one but the wildcard is most of the teams they currently play have terrible defenses. The USC-Oregon game was a joke. Something like 67-58? It may be exciting but to me that is terrible football.

Yeah, we much prefer those 6-3 Alabama-LSU games.

You folks haven't seen anything like the Oregon offense. The reason they give up so many points is because their offense only takes a couple of minutes to score and their defense is always on the field for a long time.

You folks haven't seen anything like the Oregon offense. The reason they give up so many points is because their offense only takes a couple of minutes to score and their defense is always on the field for a long time.

That is the explanation but it still becomes problematic when you run up against a defense that can make a few stops and run their own offense against your defense.

That is the explanation but it still becomes problematic when you run up against a defense that can make a few stops and run their own offense against your defense.

For Oregon, it's a question of: can you stop their high and quick scoring offense and can their defense make stops. I think the latter has been answered (see: USC game).

For Oregon, it's a question of: can you stop their high and quick scoring offense and can their defense make stops. I think the latter has been answered (see: USC game).

So, I've been thinking. I think a better way for this whole playoff system is to do away with the regular season, mostly and have teams play EVERY team in their conference and the winners of the conferences play in a playoff system.

So, I've been thinking. I think a better way for this whole playoff system is to do away with the regular season, mostly and have teams play EVERY team in their conference and the winners of the conferences play in a playoff system.

That's not really fair to SEC / Big XII / Pac-12 teams. I mean they have to face tough competition almost weakly, then (especially the two former conference members). Then you have others like the ACC and Big East where they may only be 1 or 2 good teams, a few decent teams and then nothing.

That's not really fair to SEC / Big XII / Pac-12 teams. I mean they have to face tough competition almost weakly, then (especially the two former conference members). Then you have others like the ACC and Big East where they may only be 1 or 2 good teams, a few decent teams and then nothing.

True, but it wouldn't matter how many games you lost as long as you win your conference.

True, but it wouldn't matter how many games you lost as long as you win your conference.

That's still not really the best teams playing in my mind. I'd take a 3rd or 4th placed SEC / Big XII team over number one in the Big East any day.

Oregon's defense is legit, as I've said for many, many weeks. You can't judge from USC because, despite the cheating they did in that game, USC's offense is littered with 1st round NFL draft picks, including a QB in Matt Barkley that I personally think has a great chance of being taken #1 overall.

Also, record still matters, for people thinking that a one-loss Alabama has a chance at the big game. If Oregon or K-state lose and ND runs the table, they'd still play in the championship, despite the fact that - on a neutral field - I believe that Alabama would beat the snot out of Notre Dame to a level where people get up and go for the exits at halftime.

I personally don't want an SEC team in the championship though.

KState and Oregon have their hands full tonight.

Alright... watching and pulling for Baylor to beat Kstate and Stanford to beat Oregon. This would put Georgia at 3rd in the nation with a looming SEC championship battle against then what would be #2 in the nation Alabama. If Kstate and Oregon lose tonight... Georgia's path to the national championship will be in their own hands rather than needing help to get there. Here's to hoping.

Well Baylor is doing it's job. Hopefully they can hold on. Stanford needs to step it up a touch. Tie game right now with the Ducks driving.

I don't know where this Baylor team has been all season long but I'm sure glad as hell they showed up the way they have tonight.

Now, if only I can get Stanford to get onboard and get their asses into the end zone.

Back
Top Bottom