• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

College Football upset of the week (Week 1)

iliveonramen

Pontificator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
You know how college football is...high turnover as new guys come in and old guys leave.

I love week 1 because the rankings are based on paper and performance the previous year. Lot's of opportunities for upsets.

I'm curious what you guys think are some games that are potential upsets.

My two big ones...

UNC vs U South Carolina- UNC is running a spread, QB returns, they have a talented team on both sides of the football. South Carolina...Clowney...enough said but if he's slowed down with a lot of bubble screens, option, and short passes can the South Carolina take care of business?

Clemson vs Georgia- Georgia has lost A LOT! of talent...including Jones and Ogletree and Rambo at safety. Correct me if I'm wrong but their big Nose Tackle graduated as well. That is huge deal for anyteam but that's basically ripping out the guts of a 3-4 defense.

Clemson returns Boyd and Watkins...can the Dawgs and their talented backs keep up with the Clemson offense?

My three upset picks this week were: Nevada over UCLA, Washington over Boise State (haven't seen much about the Broncs lately) and Cal over Northwestern.

I'm going all in in week one and predicting Alabama lose to Virginia Tech. First off, as normal, Alabama lost quite a bit. They lost some pieces up front, on defense, and in the backfield (which shouldn't be a huge problem.) They are no doubt a well coached unit, but very young. Virginia Tech on the other hand are returning 9 players on defense (compared to Alabama's 7) and the offense of Alabama only has 6 returners. Contrary to last year Logan Thomas is expected to have a breakout year this year because he now has a true first string running back to make the team less one-dimensional. The game is being played a neutral venue, and it will be an early season test for a young Alabama team.

Last edited:
I'm going all in in week one and predicting Alabama lose to Virginia Tech. First off, as normal, Alabama lost quite a bit. They lost some pieces up from, on defense, and in the backfield (which shouldn't be a huge problem.) They are no doubt a well coached unit, but very young. Virginia Tech on the other hand are returning 9 players on defense (compared to Alabama's 7) and the offense of Alabama only has 6 returners. Contrary to last year Logan Thomas is expected to have a breakout year this year because he now has a true first string running back to make the team less one-dimensional. The game is being played a neutral venue, and it will be an early season test for a young Alabama team.

ehhh...can't say I agree...but I can see it getting interesting. I think their losses on the line will be the worst.

I honestly think Yeldon is more explosive than Lacey was.

I also agree with the Logan Thomas comment. I think he's going to have a great year and VT...they still have a lot of people returning like you mention.

I'm very much looking forward to that game! Will go a long way to showing if Bama has a chance for a 3-peat.

Alabama will be upset this year. Va. Tech? Maybe.

Georgia's defense is sound - or was. Some defensive starters are ify with injuries. It'll be a high scoring gun battle.

ehhh...can't say I agree...but I can see it getting interesting. I think their losses on the line will be the worst.

I honestly think Yeldon is more explosive than Lacey was.

I also agree with the Logan Thomas comment. I think he's going to have a great year and VT...they still have a lot of people returning like you mention.

I'm very much looking forward to that game! Will go a long way to showing if Bama has a chance for a 3-peat.

I agree about Yeldon, but I think the Bama O-Line is young and the Tech D-Line is big, and Yeldon will find it hard to find holes.

Clemson must win at home to have a shot at the title and should as a short dog. Georgia can still beat Alabama in the SEC title game to go for the title if they lose. Pre-season computer rankings guarantee the SEC at least one slot in the title game. Next year, at least two of the four semi-finalists.

Did anyone see the Jadeveon Clowney game today? Jadeveon Clowney faced off against the North Carolina Tarheels and Jadeveon Clowney won decisively, 27-10. The Jadeveon Clowney quarterback threw for an underwhelming 149 yards while North Carolina's Renner threw for 194. But the real difference was made by Jadeveon Clowney's running back, who had a highlight-reel 75 yard touchdown run and put the Jadeveon Clowneys up solidly before half.

Overall it was a great day to be a Jadeveon Clowney.

Go Jadeveon Clowneys!!!!

Some may not call this an upset as Division-2 champs NDSU eased by Kansas St. on the road 24-21. A great game.

Some may not call this an upset as Division-2 champs NDSU eased by Kansas St. on the road 24-21. A great game.

I went to that game - well, I never made it inside, I had an "important business meeting" in the parking lot for a few hours but I was there. It was a tough loss. I think many overlooked NDSU and K-State played somewhat shoddy ball. NDSU is a good team and FCS Champions in 2011 and 2012. It certainly was a great game, though.

Back
Top Bottom