• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colleagues worry Dianne Feinstein is now mentally unfit to serve, citing recent interactions

GummyVitamins

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

WASHINGTON — When a California Democrat in Congress recently engaged in an extended conversation with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, they prepared for a rigorous policy discussion like those they’d had with her many times over the last 15 years.

Instead, the lawmaker said, they had to reintroduce themselves to Feinstein multiple times during an interaction that lasted several hours.

Rather than delve into policy, Feinstein, 88, repeated the same small-talk questions, like asking the lawmaker what mattered to voters in their district, they said, with no apparent recognition the two had already had a similar conversation.

Four U.S. senators, including three Democrats, as well as three former Feinstein staffers and the California Democratic member of Congress told The Chronicle in recent interviews that her memory is rapidly deteriorating. They said it appears she can no longer fulfill her job duties without her staff doing much of the work required to represent the nearly 40 million people of California.

They said that the memory lapses do not appear to be constant and that some days she is nearly as sharp as she used to be. During the March confirmation hearing for soon-to-be-Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, Feinstein appeared composed as she read pertinent questions, though she repeated comments to Jackson about the judge’s composure in the face of tough questioning. But some close to her said that on her most difficult days, she does not seem to fully recognize even longtime colleagues.

This is not a gloating or a dunking thread. This is just to make people aware of what is apparently going on with Senator Dianne Feinstein. She's been in office for a very long time and has been a major part of the Senate with her important committee leadership positions. I hope she's okay. And, hopefully, her staff will eventually come clean in regards to her mental state. It's probably time for her to move on. Her seat would obviously be replaced by a Democrat so there would be no shakeup in Congress. However, the Senate will not be the same without her.

Dementia runs in my family. It's not something to mock or to be disrespectful about. Please keep responses respectful.

Last edited:

This is not a gloating or a dunking thread. This is just to make people aware of what is apparently going on with Senator Dianne Feinstein. She's been in office for a very long time and has been a major part of the Senate with her important committee leadership positions. I hope she's okay. And, hopefully, her staff will eventually come clean in regards to her mental state. It's probably time for her to move on. Her seat would obviously be replaced by a Democrat so there would be no shakeup in Congress. However, the Senate will not be the same without her.

Dementia runs in my family. It's not something to mock or to be disrespectful about. Please keep responses respectful.

She should step down. Although not as dangerous as having an executive suffering dementia since her power limited, time to retire

I think it's right to worry about governing the country. I worry about Feinstien, Biden, Trump, and everyone on this list...

I think when this generation is judged it's biggest faults will be their addiction to power, their various laws designed to keep incumbents in power, and their inability to make room for the next generation.

It is absolutely time for her to retire, and she should do it now and not wait for the end of her term.

Dementia is a terrible disease, not just for her, but for all around her.

It is definitely time for her to go. I wish her well, she has had a long and fulfilling career but it's time. Then again I could say that about half the Senate!
Amen.

Does it make a difference though, considering her body of work? Or MOST of the elected officials in congress for that matter?

Peoples' Exhibit #892 why we need an upper age limit on elected offices.

That would require constituional amendment, but is not a bad idea. What age would you suggest and would that apply as of election time or at the end of a full term in office?

It's a horrible, debilitating and distressing illness; as much for the sufferer in the early stages when they still retain self-awareness and understand where it's going, and later for friends and family who cannot communicate in any meaningful way with a person who was once probably vibrant, engaging and a joy to be with. Mrs. Feinstein has my very best wishes.

Y'all are worried about Feinstein and age limits........

ocasio-cortez-trying-to-think.jpg

It's a horrible, debilitating and distressing illness; as much for the sufferer in the early stages when they still retain self-awareness and understand where it's going, and later for friends and family who cannot communicate in any meaningful way with a person who was once probably vibrant, engaging and a joy to be with. Mrs. Feinstein has my very best wishes.

I had an uncle who suffered from dementia and I would cry every time I left after visiting him. He was the man who taught me how to shoot hoops when I was 5 years old and wanted to play with my older brother and his friends.

Y'all are worried about Feinstein and age limits........

View attachment 67385567

Knock it the **** off. The OP specifically and properly asked for respectful posts. Your post is not only idiotic, it's disrespectful to this thread, the OP, and the rest of us.

I think when this generation is judged it's biggest faults will be their addiction to power, their various laws designed to keep incumbents in power, and their inability to make room for the next generation.

It's not a generational thing, virtually every politician is addicted to power.

Knock it the **** off. The OP specifically and properly asked for respectful posts. Your post is not only idiotic, it's disrespectful to this thread, the OP, and the rest of us.

and AOC could run circles around any uneducated right wing moron. So their call of her being stupid really just show what losers they are

That would require constituional amendment, but is not a bad idea. What age would you suggest and would that apply as of election time or at the end of a full term in office?
You shouldn't be allowed to run if you are over 70 on election day for senators, or 75 on election day for representatives. And that's being generous. Ideally I wouldn't want to see a politician above 70 in our federal government.

Feinstein and Grassley are both 88 ffs they could kick the bucket literally any day.

Its time for lots of elected politicians to move on.

We have a bigger problem in the House where genuine nut jobs are elected by deplorable and stupid voters.

So she's becoming like Joe Biden now?

I had an uncle who suffered from dementia and I would cry every time I left after visiting him. He was the man who taught me how to shoot hoops when I was 5 years old and wanted to play with my older brother and his friends.

I think a deteriorating mental health is among the worst conditions, and a terrible way to go. Feinstein appears to have it very bad in this regard. If she doesn't have the self-awareness to step down, and those who are in her circle are using her for their own gain, that's bad for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom