• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Colin Powell, military leader and first Black US secretary of state, dies

I seriously doubt this is close to reality. Can you provide us with the evidence you believe proves the average person dying with CoVID-19 would have lived another 13 years?

From the study:

To assess the impact of COVID-19 in the US, I have performed calculations of person-years of life lost as a result of 194,000 premature deaths due to SARS-CoV-2 infection as of early October, 2020. By combining actuarial data on life expectancy and the distribution of COVID-19 associated deaths we estimate that over 2,500,000 person-years of life have been lost so far in the pandemic in the US alone, averaging over 13.25 years per person with differences noted between males and females. Importantly, nearly half of the potential years of life lost occur in non-elderly populations. Issues impacting refinement of these models and the additional morbidity caused by COVID-19 beyond lethality are discussed.

Well one's expected life expectancy declines markedly with age (the risk of death doubles about every 8 years. Your error here is assuming everyone the same age with cancer or heart disease or diabetes or failing kidneys all have the same life expectancy. Reality is that it is individuals with far more serious or advanced disease that have the greatest reduction in mortality. And it is largely those far sicker people with far shorter life expectancies that are mostly the ones dying when they catch SARS-CoV2.

1. Quantify it. For example, what are you talking about specifically when you describe them having “shorter” life expectancies? How many years?

2. Provide a source or the data that backs up your conclusion. How do you know it’s “largely” those “far sicker” people who are dying of Covid, and what do you mean by “far sicker”?

Actually most of the people who died with CoVID-19 would have likely died had they caught the flu or even one of the human coronaviruses that cause about 20% of colds.

Really? You think covid is not more deadly than the flu? Can you provide anything to back up that statement?

Or disagreed on policy. Policy differences. Wife beating. Same difference, amirite?

Ok, except Powell didn't kiss the toe ring as fervently as you do.
He kissed Obama's ass and you loved it, amirite?

Your psychopathic-sounding cull the herd thread is a good place to start. Did you forget what you wrote?

It’s not just me. I’m not inventing it. It’s based on actual data. I gave you a link to the study. If you don’t want to read that’s fine but don’t you dare say stuff like “you want to claim” when you can’t bother to read the stuff I’m using to support my argument.

I don’t care if you don’t want to read it.

I care that you are ignorantly spreading disinformation.
I don't really care about your study. I have no interest in it. Why do you persist?

Stop watching infowars.
I think I told you I have numerous conservative sources at my fingertips. None of them are infowar. I do not follow conspiracy sites like CNN and MSNBS and WaPo and The NYTimes like the leftists do.

Can't take the truth
and was that name one lie?
again the election of 2016 was rigged and so far they haven't come up with any proof that the election of 2020 was either
here is another one
He is going to be too busy being President to do as much golfing as Obama did
here have fun reading them all
have a nice night
I don't do links. You know this.

I do read excerpts. You know this too. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

I don't really care about your study. I have no interest in it. Why do you persist?

Stop writing stupid unsupported shit that you refuse to back up with citations and references and stop spreading disinformation and you won’t see any replies from me.

I don't do links. You know this.

I do read excerpts. You know this too. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.
Maybe IF you read the links people post YOU actually might learn something
Have a nice night

Stop writing stupid unsupported shit that you refuse to back up with citations and references and stop spreading disinformation and you won’t see any replies from me.
So, you post an actuarial study and the supporting docs were on some separate link and you expect me to peruse it and spend a week to refute it? I believe it was you who had an accounting background so perhaps they are friends of yours? Or maybe you [ersonally? Not biting. Thanks but no thanks. post whatever the hell you want about your accounting report being the final say over people over 80dying. I don't give a rats arse. I don't seek your acceptance and approval. Must chafe your ass.

Maybe IF you read the links people post YOU actually might learn something
Have a nice night
I don't do links. It is lazy and inconsiderate to not post the excerpts(s) you are relying on. You should know this from my prior postings.

Powell was the great pretender. A liar and a fraud, afraid to admit he was really a Democrat.
How many soldiers did you rescue after your helicopter was shot down? Oh that is right...none...you never had the guts to serve...so, until you do and that Orange con man you have no space to call anyone a liar or fraud....

How many soldiers did you rescue after your helicopter was shot down? Oh that is right...none...you never had the guts to serve...so, until you do and that Orange con man you have no space to call anyone a liar or fraud....
NEWS FLASH! EXTREE! EXTREE!! Democrats are in the armed forces.

Powell was the great pretender. A liar and a fraud, afraid to admit he was really a Democrat.

It’s always quite telling watching the people who claim to be “patriots” piss all over a man who honorably served his country for decades because he wouldn’t kowtow to Donnie Draft Dodger.

It’s always quite telling watching the people who claim to be “patriots” piss all over a man who honorably served his country for decades because he wouldn’t kowtow to Donnie Draft Dodger.
So have many others. Does the fact that they served in the military mean they are above reproach?

So have many others. Does the fact that they served in the military mean they are above reproach?

Someone honorably serving their country for decades, at the MINIMUM, earns them the common decency of mouth breathing Trump cultists shutting up instead of dancing all over their graves.

You’re pretty satisfied with your conclusion but I don’t think it’s based on anything other than your biases.

How would you know? You just admitted you don’t read anything. And I think we can all agree articles from Infowars and 4chan posts don’t count as research. Is there a Facebook post with a cool headline that you’re using to base your ideas on?

Inquiring minds want to know.
You can add to that 'Fox News' and 'The New York Post'

I don't do links. It is lazy and inconsiderate to not post the excerpts(s) you are relying on. You should know this from my prior postings.
If people post links it is harder for them to cherry pick stuff and you get to read about the whole subject
and that is why I also try to post the searches I do that way if you want all the info on the subject is there to read
have a nice night

Really? You think covid is not more deadly than the flu? Can you provide anything to back up that statement?
It depends what you mean by deadlier and for whom. For a young child there is little question that catching the flu is deadlier than catching SARS-CoV2 (a.k.a. the Wuhan virus). Of course, a young child most likely never had the flu most were not vaccinated against the flu. And for a young children back in 2020, the odds are they never had the Wuhan virus and certainly would not be vaccinated. We know vaccination and/or prior infection primes the immune system and greatly reduce the risk of serious illness and death. The best measure of how deadly a virus is is called the infection fatality rate (IFR). The best estimate of the IFR for the average seasonal flu is about 0.1%. What is the best estimate of the IFR for the Wuhan virus? Well here is the conclusion of world renowned epidemiologist professor John Ioannidis at Stanford University"

"Conclusions: All systematic evaluations of seroprevalence data converge that SARS-CoV-2 infection is widely spread globally. Acknowledging residual uncertainties, the available evidence suggests average global IFR of ~0.15% and ~1.5-2.0 billion infections by February 2021 with substantial differences in IFR and in infection spread across continents, countries and locations." Dr. John Ioannidis Here's a link to his study: file:///C:/Users/PritiKin1330/OneDrive/Desktop/eci.13554.pdf
So let's look at the article by Carrie Underwood (not a world renowned epidemiologist or even an MD) in the National Geographic (not exactly a renowned peer scientific or clinical journal):

"Using a statistical model, epidemiologists at Columbia University estimated the infection-fatality rate for New York City based on its massive outbreak from March 1 to May 16. Their results, published online as a non-peer reviewed preprint on June 29, show that the coronavirus may be even deadlier than first thought. According to their data, the COVID-19 infection-fatality rate is 1.46 percent, or twice as high as earlier estimates (and much higher than a misinformed rate being widely shared on social media). This risk varies by age, with those older than 75 [years old] having the highest infection-fatality rate, at 13.83 percent." Carrie Underwood

So is the IFR similar to the seasonal flu (0.1% vs 0.15%) or more than 10X deadlier than the average seasonal flu as estimated by Dr. Wan Yang and colleagues? Of course, the fact is the Wuhan virus, especially back in the March through early May of 2020 when Dr. Wan Yang et. al. gathered data in NYC had a higher IFR because MDs had no idea how to treat it and vaccine were still a long ways off. As you may recall there were a lot of outbreaks in nursing homes and a large fraction of those deaths were among older sicker people in nursing homes. The IFR (for the flu, Wuhan virus, and even colds) is far higher in older people (about 10,000X higher in 85y old compared to 10 year old Americans for the Wuhan virus) and back then Governor Cuomo did not do a very good job at protecting those most likely to die of COVID-19 in nursing homes.

So it appears to me you have been misled about the IFR of the Wuhan virus. And compared to 2020 the IFR for the Wuhan virus for Americans is now significantly lower than it was back in 2020. Why? MDs had few good ideas about how to best treat the Wuhan virus and back then there were no vaccines and no drugs approved by the FDA (even for emergency use) to treat SARS-CoV2 infections. Does that help you better understand what the likely true IFR is for the typical seasonal flu and the SARS-CoV2?

AVvXsEi7wgIKlj50p4XZFpyZ1bqPCyOUqOfZx2ZS-Ph9E8B3viRYkTrHFk94tsLynhug2_LRzi_8kLy8ov4NoZHmB55DvX-OJdOOHOaKvtsFYFG5zKgcXFFrarG6w405D8cVLXCzvTA9Q22_vsEjP-8JXIMFZQc17r8hYwkriFsqE2BMHUApI--MvA

Powell effed him is my guess.

Is that what you think a reasonable adult does? Try to get as much attention as possible just to shit on someone who died?

Please lay out what you think Powell did you eff Trump. Keep in mind voting against him once doesn't count.

He kissed Obama's ass and you loved it, amirite?

Why would I? I am fairly indifferent when it comes to Obama. Half-measures on the stuff he cared about and not much different than Bush when it came to foreign policy. I care even less who Colin Powell voted for.

This is called projection. You think I adore Obama because that is how you feel about Trump and you can't imagine someone else actually being mostly indifferent to a party's flag bearer.

Back
Top Bottom