• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coldest temperatures that you've experienced

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
in light of the coming polar vortex, i figured that this would be an interesting topic, and i'm curious about what kind of temperatures posters north (and west) of me have experienced.

i'll go first. the coldest temperature that i have ever experienced was -36F during winter term during my freshman year in college. i looked it up, and it's also the coldest temperature ever recorded in my state. it was cold enough to freeze my slightly damp hair pretty much instantly when i went out for a few minutes that morning. the heat went out in the dorm, and somehow my buddy and i got my car started. we went to the nearest town and bought one of the last electric space heaters at a Value City. we came back and huddled around it in my room. i probably wouldn't make that drive these days, but i was nineteen then and didn't think about what i would do if my car died and we froze to death in it. luckily, we made it there and back ok. i still can't believe that the car started. it was buried in snow, which might have acted as insulation.

so, how about you?

-12 F in Wyoming.

-62, Minnesota.

That did include windchill factor....the ambient temp was -60.

Last edited:
in light of the coming polar vortex, i figured that this would be an interesting topic, and i'm curious about what kind of temperatures posters north (and west) of me have experienced.

i'll go first. the coldest temperature that i have ever experienced was -36F during winter term during my freshman year in college. i looked it up, and it's also the coldest temperature ever recorded in my state. it was cold enough to freeze my slightly damp hair pretty much instantly when i went out for a few minutes that morning. the heat went out in the dorm, and somehow my buddy and i got my car started. we went to the nearest town and bought one of the last electric space heaters at a Value City. we came back and huddled around it in my room. i probably wouldn't make that drive these days, but i was nineteen then and didn't think about what i would do if my car died and we froze to death in it. luckily, we made it there and back ok. i still can't believe that the car started. it was buried in snow, which might have acted as insulation.

so, how about you?

-48f in canada

-52 Celsius, Windchill -65

right now it's -28 C, which is warm for this time of year.

-12 F in Wyoming.

Same here. - 20F thirty miles north of Carlin, Nevada. Winter 1990. Thank God i remembered to bring my Russian hat with me.
It was the first and only time I saw the mercury in a thermometer go down in the bubble and stay there.
This was temp, not wind chill. Crazy cold that year.

Later I bought a -30F degree rated sleeping bag and keep it at-hand wherever i live.
It was expensive, but I don't need power or fuel to keep warm with that bad boy.
It is out in my shed as i write this.

Last edited:

so, how about you?

I have family/friends in the midwest; MN, WI, and IL.
The weather is a concern.
My husband and I were recalling the coldest weather we both experienced, ('82?),---40 below with the windchill when we were watching the Chargers-Bengals FB game.

I experienced -70 in Oymyakon when I was working and living in another country.

-50. I lived in Alaska for 8 years and then moved down here in Florida.

Same here. - 20F thirty miles north of Carlin, Nevada. Winter 1990. Thank God i remembered to bring my Russian hat with me.
It was the first and only time I saw the mercury in a thermometer go down in the bubble and stay there.
This was temp, not wind chill. Crazy cold that year.

Later I bought a -30F degree rated sleeping bag and keep it at-hand wherever i live.
It was expensive, but I don't need power or fuel to keep warm with that bad boy.
It is out in my shed as i write this.

is it one of those mummy bags?

i have a regular style bag that is rated to a temperature at which i would not be camping, at least not willingly. i generally cover my face with an extra comforter when i'm camping below 45F. that seems to work ok.

3 degrees colder than the second biggest liar in this thread.

so, how about you?

I think the worst was 1 in Chicago.

Its in the 70's here now.

These guys have it tough...

yak.jpg

so, how about you?

-34 F, Korea, didn't know the wind chill, at that point it just doesn't matter, pain.

so, how about you?

Red:
Well, where are you? Nothing you wrote provides any clue that'd allow prospective posters to know whether they're "north (and west)" of you.

so, how about you?

-40s in Alaska for a week...

so, how about you?

When I lived in virginia beach as a kid it got to below negative 20 f which was stupid cold especially since virginia is considered part of the south and that virginia beach is on the souther end of the state.

Red:
Well, where are you? Nothing you wrote provides any clue that'd allow prospective posters to know whether they're "north (and west)" of you.

Midwest; south of Lake Michigan.

Midwest; south of Lake Michigan.

TY.

I'm south and east of that, so I don't meet the criteria.

My godson's sister moved to Grosse Pointe, MI (currently -16 there) a few years back. I haven't spoken with her this week, but I'm sure she's not keen on the weather she's seeing. I'm sure she's fine with the snow, but the cold definitely isn't her "cuppa." Her husband is from Columbia, and I'm sure he's "jonesing" for just about any reason he can conjure to visit his family down there. LOL

When I lived in virginia beach as a kid it got to below negative 20 f which was stupid cold especially since virginia is considered part of the south and that virginia beach is on the souther end of the state.

that's really cold for VA. when i was a little kid, we got stuck in Northern Virginia during the blizzard of 1978.

Yeah, but try walking out on the active ramp of a major international airport when it is 123 degrees out. So hot that the airplanes couldn't take off because they only had performance charts that went up to 120.

Stay warm everyone!

I'm not sure of the coldest.

But it's -10F right now so I stepped outside in my shirtsleeves just to say I did.

Usually here in Central Ohio we get below 0 in January or February a few days every year. Tonight it will get down to -4 with snow squalls. Wind chill expected to be -22. But the coldest I can remember was below 0 in the teens actual temperature.

Tomorrow the high is only expected to get to 3 but come Saturday we are suppose to reach a balmy 43. Until then I can't think of any good reason to head outside. Today it only got up in the teens but we had gusts of wind 36 mph. Hubby and I were out pricing kitchen appliances and a washer/dryer. It was brutal. The good news there wasn't a whole lot of people out and we had all kinds of folks available to assist us.

that's really cold for VA. when i was a little kid, we got stuck in Northern Virginia during the blizzard of 1978.

That area would get frigid cold every year, sometimes above freezing sometimes negative temps, but when it did get cold, it got stupid cold. I think it had something to do with it's location more than anything, being next to the ocean.

edit, edit again misread celcius and farenheight when looking up temps, negative farenheight was not common there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom