• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coldest temperatures that you've experienced

I wonder if it was 1994. That January was a doozy.

I think it was. I remember heading out to class on a morning around 94 or 95 that was somewhere around -35F.(I live in central Minnesota)

Last night was the most brutal cold I have ever felt, though. It was -25F with about a 25 mph wind. I didn't see what the windchill factor was but it had to be something colder than -50. I had to do a few errands after work and the short walk from the truck to the store was almost too much to take.

The air temperature was -32F when I left for work this morning but the wind had died down to almost nothing. Tonight they are forecasting -34F. BRUTAL.

Sorry I saw a bunch of uncivilized brutes speaking in... Fahrenheit?

Haha.

That's adorable.

Coldest I've been in was I think, -49c.

It. Sucks.

This is murica and we speak murican here!

Damn you guys are crazy. 12 degrees here is California and I thought that was but ass cold.

California can get colder than that, I remember a blizzard we gt in the cali desert said it would only get to 20 degrees, but the thermometers showed about 5 degrees that day. I think only once it got subzero in the socal desert while I was there and it barely scratched that, while in texas it consistently gets colder than what the weather stations say, but 12-15 is usually the coldest with one year it hitting 7 degrees when they said my area was 21 degrees, but never reaching sub zero.

in light of the coming polar vortex, i figured that this would be an interesting topic, and i'm curious about what kind of temperatures posters north (and west) of me have experienced.

i'll go first. the coldest temperature that i have ever experienced was -36F during winter term during my freshman year in college. i looked it up, and it's also the coldest temperature ever recorded in my state. it was cold enough to freeze my slightly damp hair pretty much instantly when i went out for a few minutes that morning. the heat went out in the dorm, and somehow my buddy and i got my car started. we went to the nearest town and bought one of the last electric space heaters at a Value City. we came back and huddled around it in my room. i probably wouldn't make that drive these days, but i was nineteen then and didn't think about what i would do if my car died and we froze to death in it. luckily, we made it there and back ok. i still can't believe that the car started. it was buried in snow, which might have acted as insulation.

so, how about you?

-45f I live in Canada and in any of the Prairie provinces or in Northern Ontario or Northern Quebec you will see those temperatures most winters. Where I live now we will hit - 30c at least once each year.

From my experience I can say with some certainty it is best, when heading out, to do so with dry hair. :)

Sorry I saw a bunch of uncivilized brutes speaking in... Fahrenheit?

Haha.

That's adorable.

Coldest I've been in was I think, -49c.

It. Sucks.

You realize that -49f is colder than -49c. -49c is almost balmy in comparison :)

Right now in St. Cloud, MN. the temp is -23, windchill -41.

My sister-in-law will be leaving for her winter home on Friday; Sanibel Island, FL. Praying she is able to fly out without delay.
Next week, my husband and I will be spending some time with her in Sanibel.

I think it was. I remember heading out to class on a morning around 94 or 95 that was somewhere around -35F.(I live in central Minnesota)

Last night was the most brutal cold I have ever felt, though. It was -25F with about a 25 mph wind. I didn't see what the windchill factor was but it had to be something colder than -50. I had to do a few errands after work and the short walk from the truck to the store was almost too much to take.

The air temperature was -32F when I left for work this morning but the wind had died down to almost nothing. Tonight they are forecasting -34F. BRUTAL.

We are only supposed to get a low of -5 hear, but come next mondays, we are supposed to hit a high of mid 40's. Crazy.

1992----- - 26 degrees- wind chill = - 48 degrees- Monument Hill-elevation 7500 feet- 20 miles North of Colorado Springs.

in light of the coming polar vortex, i figured that this would be an interesting topic, and i'm curious about what kind of temperatures posters north (and west) of me have experienced.

i'll go first. the coldest temperature that i have ever experienced was -36F during winter term during my freshman year in college. i looked it up, and it's also the coldest temperature ever recorded in my state. it was cold enough to freeze my slightly damp hair pretty much instantly when i went out for a few minutes that morning. the heat went out in the dorm, and somehow my buddy and i got my car started. we went to the nearest town and bought one of the last electric space heaters at a Value City. we came back and huddled around it in my room. i probably wouldn't make that drive these days, but i was nineteen then and didn't think about what i would do if my car died and we froze to death in it. luckily, we made it there and back ok. i still can't believe that the car started. it was buried in snow, which might have acted as insulation.

so, how about you?

What's minus 55 celsius in the British system? Minus 68 or so.

That was the usual day time low temperature when I lived in Regina, Saskatchewan. Waskana creek would freeze solid down to the bed so crystal clear you could see dead fish suspended in the ice.

You can't even play hockey when its that cold because the sticks become too brittle and break on a slap shot,

-45f I live in Canada and in any of the Prairie provinces or in Northern Ontario or Northern Quebec you will see those temperatures most winters. Where I live now we will hit - 30c at least once each year.

From my experience I can say with some certainty it is best, when heading out, to do so with dry hair. :)

I learned that lesson.

so, how about you?

-20F by the dashboard thermometer, not that long ago. I had a standard shift car and I had to wait for the transmission oil to warm up so I could shift.

In the 70's for a few years I lived just outside of Saratoga Springs in upstate NY. 1 morning it was -33, that was the air temp.

The car I owned at the time had a middle console in it between the 2 bucket front seats, when I got in the car to TRY(of course the car didn't start) to go to work I leaned on the console with my elbow, it was so brittle the top of the console broke and snapped apart like kindling wood.

I have noticed over the years when it gets to -10, -20, -30 it really doesn't matter.. Anywhere in the -10 and lower range is just too damn cold, and dangerous...

Last edited:
Here's the coldest weather I was actually exposed to constantly for an extended time frame: I went on a pre-planned winter backpacking trip to the Appalacian Trail in Shenandoah Natl park in February 2007. It was a 2 night, 3 day trip. We expected temps probably in the mid 30s, and I bought a new sleeping bag designed for temps down to 35°. A few days b4 leaving, a major cold front moved in,, bringing with it the coldest weather of the year, and we decided to go anyway. We would be sleeping outdoors, in either a tent or an open-front shelter, without any form of supplemental heat at night. One guy took a digital 'weather station' that recorded low & high temps each day & night. The first night, it got down to 6°f. The next day we hiked about 19 miles, crossing Skyline drive a few times, and the high temp was 22°f and windy. The 2nd night temps shot all the way up to 8°f, with temps of high 20s on day 3. I had been advised to leave my new 35° sleeping bag at home, and was lent a Slumberjack 20° bag, which ended up being overly heavy & thick, but NOT warm at 6-8°! The next year I took a Marmot 15° down bag with me.

It is so freaking cold in texas I had to turn my ac down, just an fyi, only in texas can it be 80 degrees today and 39 tomorrow.

-52 Celsius, Windchill -65

right now it's -28 C, which is warm for this time of year.

Holy crap. And I thought Ottawa was cold. The coldest I can recall was about -35 or so. Do you get any Chinooks?

Holy crap. And I thought Ottawa was cold. The coldest I can recall was about -35 or so. Do you get any Chinooks?

yeah, and it comes in melts and then refreezes and we are screwed on driving. One came in a couple years ago and floated my old van away. Found it 40 feet from where I left it.

Here's the view from my home/office window today:

snow day.jpg

Here's the view from my home/office window today:

View attachment 67250113

You get snow like ^that in the Seattle Wash region? I was always under the impression that the winter temps there wouldn't generally drop lower than maybe 45°f, with cold rainy weather, but not thick snow cover, except in rare instances. Its why that general region is where most dahlia farms are located, where they can actually get away with leaving tubers in the ground, whereas here in northern Delaware, most if not all dahlia tubers left in the ground would either rot from too much ground moisture in winter, or more likely freeze, then rot.... I buy most of my tubers from Swan Island dahlias, located in Canby Or, maybe 100m directly south of Seattle.

Last edited:
You get snow like ^that in the Seattle Wash region? I was always under the impression that the winter temps there wouldn't generally drop lower than maybe 45°f, with cold rainy weather, but not thick snow cover, except in rare instances. Its why that general region is where most dahlia farms are located, where they can actually get away with leaving tubers in the ground, whereas here in northern Delaware, most if not all dahlia tubers left in the ground would either rot from too much ground moisture in winter, or more likely freeze, then rot.... I buy most of my tubers from Swan Island dahlias, located in Canby Or, maybe 100m directly south of Seattle.

No......... we are not supposed to.....this has to be Global Warming.....

I am not mocking you, this has nothing to do with you, the experts think that very unusually weather patterns have to do with Global Warming because the whether is getting more extreme and unstable not necessarily always warmer.

Back
Top Bottom