• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coffee (more so - the sugar in the coffee)

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Coffee, the blessed evil, is why I've been working out every day for a long time and yet still slowly gaining weight.

After some regretful calculations that made me cringe (which came after a lot of resistance), I figured that my 4 - 6 cups of coffee + (apparently) 3/16 (or .18 - .20) of a cup of sugar in each one = 500 - 800 extra calories per day (likely higher than that because who just drinks 6 cups of coffee a day?)

And thus brings the last bits of coffee drinking to an end. Years ago I used to drink more than a pot (or two) a day . . . and I paired it down to 4-6 after a lot of effort. But in doing so, I let go of creamer. Evidently that was bad because it took more than twice as much sugar to get the coffee to a more palatable state. I was better off adding creamer to it (60 calories per cup, instead).

So . . . it's with no great pleasure that I stop drinking it entirely.

Now on the flip side - when I cut down on coffee the first go around 2 years ago I took up drinking tea and cider. Tea I drink unsweetened and love it so it's time to just embrace the British Ways.

For pity's sake no more ****ing coffee. As I type, I'm savoring the last cup.

Last edited:
Coffee, the blessed evil, is why I've been working out every day for a long time and yet still slowly gaining weight.

After some regretful calculations that made me cringe (which came after a lot of resistance), I figured that my 4 - 6 cups of coffee + (apparently) 3/16 (or .18 - .20) of a cup of sugar in each one = 500 - 800 extra calories per day (likely higher than that because who just drinks 6 cups of coffee a day?)

And thus brings the last bits of coffee drinking to an end. Years ago I used to drink more than a pot (or two) a day . . . and I paired it down to 4-6 after a lot of effort. But in doing so, I let go of creamer. Evidently that was bad because it took more than twice as much sugar to get the coffee to a more palatable state. I was better off adding creamer to it (60 calories per cup, instead).

Now on the flip side - when I cut down on coffee the first go around 2 years ago I took up drinking tea and cider. Tea I drink unsweetened and love it so it's time to just embrace the British Ways.

Brew yourself some GOOD coffee, then you won't have to ruin it with sugar and creamer.

Try Crystal Light Iced Tea if you haven't already, it tastes sweet without all of the sugar. And if you go back to coffee, consider honey instead, although it is expensive. Or, take up walking/running and don't worry about giving it up at all.

well enjoy...I drink 2 coffees per day with milk and stevia to sweeten it...those 2 cups are 10 ounces each...sometimes I "might" have 3 but I can not imagine having to give up those 2 cups

Brew yourself some GOOD coffee, then you won't have to ruin it with sugar and creamer.

Or even better, ditch the coffee and make yourself a cup of Spanish hot chocolate. So thick that its more of a pudding than a drink!

e2uPDH4.jpg

The idea of using a garish fake sweetner or - gag - trying to go black . . . is far worse than just reducing it to an occasional drink to enjoy.

Besides . . . by drinking more tea I have a reason to collect even more adorable tea infusers.

I've cut out all sugar except natural sugars such as fruit and some vegetables. I have also reduced my protein intake from meats. I have not, and will not, cut out my coffee or tea. I have one of those Keurig machines that makes coffee or tea, one cup at a time. I love it. I'm also the kind of person that likes my coffee black. I became a black coffee drinker in the military where we would drink it so strong and so thick that you would almost have to chew it - this was to get the most caffeine as possible to help us stay alert.

Now that I'm getting older, and my knees have basically given up, all it seems I have to do is read a menu and I gain weight. So, here I am with no sugar, little meat (except extremely lean and small portions) and lots and lots of vegetables and fruit, and gallons of water. Seems like I have to pee almost all the time now, but I'm shedding the extra pounds and getting back into physical shape as well. However, to repeat, I have not and will not cut out my coffee and tea.

Well - I feel like I've been wasting all my effort in the last two years by working out routinely and having NO noticeable effects from it. I feel better, have more energy - but don't LOOK like how I feel.

To think I could have slimmed down 30 lbs by now sort of pisses me off. I clung so desperately to my coffee fix that I wasted all of my hard work and time. I've been irritated in the last month (since joining a gym) in the fact that I've got such a tight diet there are no changes there to really make. Nothing that would equate to a calorie deficit . . . except for the coffee/sugar fix.

In fact, I COULD just do something simple like 'no coffee at the end of the night' and immediately drop 300 - 450 calories / day without letting go of AM brew (or noon brew or afternoon brew).

Work out more, fixes sugar issue.
You know what I tried incidentally, that makes coffee amazballs better than brewed coffee (coffee maker broke).
Boiled coffee, mind blown right.

The idea of using a garish fake sweetner or - gag - trying to go black . . . is far worse than just reducing it to an occasional drink to enjoy.

Besides . . . by drinking more tea I have a reason to collect even more adorable tea infusers.

Tea is good, but thought of someone gagging on black coffee is sorta depressing. :2razz:

Work out more, fixes sugar issue.
You know what I tried incidentally, that makes coffee amazballs better than brewed coffee (coffee maker broke).
Boiled coffee, mind blown right.

lol - back when I was unfit and didn't work out, that would have been sufficient.

In order to maintain my coffee/sugar intake + create a real deficit by working out . . . i'd have to add an HOUR on top of my 1 - 1.5 hours I already work out EVERY DAY.

My dead body I'm adding more time to my routine just to drink some joe. Joe's not important enough for that.

That's what I do. Buy yourself some estate whole beans. Grind it and use immediately. Black.

lol - back when I was unfit and didn't work out, that would have been sufficient.

In order to maintain my coffee/sugar intake + create a real deficit by working out . . . i'd have to add an HOUR on top of my 1 - 1.5 hours I already work out EVERY DAY.

My dead body I'm adding more time to my routine just to drink some joe. Joe's not important enough for that.

In a room full of angels, I'm just trying to be the tempting :devil:.

In a room full of angels, I'm just trying to be the tempting :devil:.

lol

I know - all that sly logical-sin is why I went for 2 years like this.

"it must be chemicals inside coffee triggering my body to switch fat-hoarding ON" . . . yeah, I've told myself all sorts of **** to defend my fix.

lol

I know - all that sly logical-sin is why I went for 2 years like this.

"it must be chemicals inside coffee triggering my body to switch fat-hoarding ON" . . . yeah, I've told myself all sorts of **** to defend my fix.

Coffee is much to delicious to give up, try to moderate your intake a little more, maybe use an alternative sweetener (honey perhaps).

trivia / stevia is pretty decent.

as for coffee, i had to ditch it due to my body rejecting caffeine above certain levels. i'll have the random small cup every now and again, though.

My dearest condolences, Auntie. That is a hell of a thing to give up. I do hope you get the results you're looking for from it.

I drink my coffee New York style -- sugar and milk. I could give up the milk and go Cubano, but not the sugar. Only one to two cups a day, but it is arguably the most important part of my routine. I've been doing it longer than I can even remember. I would cry bitter tears if I had to give it up.

I was in Australia last year and if you order black coffee then just ask for coffee. If you want coffee and cream you ask for white coffee. If you want a foam milk and coffee, similar to a latte, you ask for a flat white. If you want a sweetener...that's up to the consumer's request and if you're at a table and you'll have to be specific with the server, otherwise, there are self-help tables to add sweetener.

It's kinda like what alcoholics do when they want to lose a little weight. Instead of drinking beer, switch to "the hard stuff".

Drink espresso.

Oh, and....

If you are working out, you WILL gain weight prior to losing it. Muscle weights more than fat. If you are building muscle, you will weight more, but over time, will lose weight, since muscle burns more calories as a matter of existence than fat does.

But 6 cups of coffee per day!?!?!?! My my, auntie. You like to get wired, eh?

Well - I feel like I've been wasting all my effort in the last two years by working out routinely and having NO noticeable effects from it. I feel better, have more energy - but don't LOOK like how I feel.

To think I could have slimmed down 30 lbs by now sort of pisses me off. I clung so desperately to my coffee fix that I wasted all of my hard work and time. I've been irritated in the last month (since joining a gym) in the fact that I've got such a tight diet there are no changes there to really make. Nothing that would equate to a calorie deficit . . . except for the coffee/sugar fix.

In fact, I COULD just do something simple like 'no coffee at the end of the night' and immediately drop 300 - 450 calories / day without letting go of AM brew (or noon brew or afternoon brew).

I have no idea what you look like visually, but let me tell you what I see in my mind:

You are a very intelligent and proud lady that even if I disagree with your position expresses yourself in such a way that you make me want to read what you have to say. I can see a heart, and a soul, that cares in a way that spreads hope and joy to anyone lucky enough to be around you, even if they don't immediately know from where it came - you don't seek "credit" for your actions that help others. You're a very creative writer and talented author, and that is a trait that I have to admit that I envy in you. I could keep going, but suffice to say, regardless of what you think you see in the mirror, we here see a beautiful woman with whom we are lucky to be acquainted even in the slightest way.

I totally get your frustration though.

Totally agree with Beau AND we'd all rather see you with a smile on your face and in your soul. Don't torture yourself over some poundage, enjoy your coffee. Cut back elsewhere (or not).

It may take a bit of time at first, but you can get used to black coffee.

Take it black or switch to Coke Light. I find the caffeine is important.

Back
Top Bottom