• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coffee (more so - the sugar in the coffee)

Or even better, ditch the coffee and make yourself a cup of Spanish hot chocolate. So thick that its more of a pudding than a drink!

e2uPDH4.jpg

We were going to have those little churros with hot chocolate later in Guadamar. They're great. But honestly, you drink it? It is very thick.

Oh, and....

If you are working out, you WILL gain weight prior to losing it. Muscle weights more than fat. If you are building muscle, you will weight more, but over time, will lose weight, since muscle burns more calories as a matter of existence than fat does.

But 6 cups of coffee per day!?!?!?! My my, auntie. You like to get wired, eh?

Hey now :2razz: that was a major CUT that took me a long time to get down to and become satisfied with. I don't even own a coffee pot anymore (and infact, getting rid of it is what made a reduction of coffee consumption even possible).

But strength gains aren't really what I'm doing at the moment. I focused on strength gains 2 years ago when I first started kettlebells. I've been doing an intense routine at home ever since - but I sort of maxed out on what I could do with my home thing. Basically, I leveled out on strength and have just been maintaining for most of this time. So I joined a gym to get 'unstuck' and make progress in a new direction without losing anything I've worked so hard to gain.

trivia / stevia is pretty decent.

as for coffee, i had to ditch it due to my body rejecting caffeine above certain levels. i'll have the random small cup every now and again, though.

Interesting. I have that same problem now. My 20's thru 30's' Id drink 2 or more pots of black coffee every day, now a couple cups and I feel very ill. Not sure why.

Interesting. I have that same problem now. My 20's thru 30's' Id drink 2 or more pots of black coffee every day, now a couple cups and I feel very ill. Not sure why.

i was a 10 cup a day coffee drinker. about a year or so after i stopped smoking, i could no longer tolerate the caffeine. did a bit of research, and found out that the GI disorder i developed is pretty common in ex-smokers. caffeine is one of the things that makes it worse, at least for me. i miss the coffee a little. i can still handle diet coke, though.

i was a 10 cup a day coffee drinker. about a year or so after i stopped smoking, i could no longer tolerate the caffeine. did a bit of research, and found out that the GI disorder i developed is pretty common in ex-smokers. caffeine is one of the things that makes it worse, at least for me. i miss the coffee a little. i can still handle diet coke, though.

Hmm, I was a fairly heavy smoker until 1/1/2000 and now that I think about it shortly after that I think was about the time I remember starting to have trouble with coffee. Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

Hmm, I was a fairly heavy smoker until 1/1/2000 and now that I think about it shortly after that I think was about the time I remember starting to have trouble with coffee. Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

for me, it was UC, which is somewhat common among ex-smokers. i'm not a doctor, but i did some research on pubmed. i'm stable now, and can handle small amounts of caffeine. however, i'm really sensitive to it now. still, i'm so glad that i don't smoke anymore.

for me, it was UC, which is somewhat common among ex-smokers. i'm not a doctor, but i did some research on pubmed. i'm stable now, and can handle small amounts of caffeine. however, i'm really sensitive to it now. still, i'm so glad that i don't smoke anymore.
lol 2001 or 2002, I was diagnosed with mild UC. It seems to be quite controlled now though. I guess a period of very dark days around that time frame along with heavy doses of cigarettes and caffeine did me in.

The caffeine in coffee acts as a natural thermogenic. This boosts metabolism and helps attack fat. If it is the sugar which, as you've seen it is, than cut it out. Use Splenda, or Stevia, or even Sugar in the Raw in smaller amounts. Unless you are adding coffee to your sugar than sugar isn't the problem.

Now, what I've done with great success is took a strategic approach to my coffee drinking when I'm working on weight loss. Drink a cup before and a cup after exercising. Consuming sugar directly after exercising is crucial, as it replenishes lost glycogen levels in the body, the caffeine extends the increase in metabolic rate. Obviously drinking it before hand gives you an energy boost which will increase performance as well as allow for more calories to be burned.

IF you just want to get off it, than I'd suggest a green tea. There is one called Gunpowder that gives you a real bang without any of the jitters. Mancha is strong too but is a bit more expensive for the good stuff and takes a little longer to prepare.

As a mid day beverage I usually have a few cups of Earl Grey w/ honey or Sugar in the raw.

All in all I can assure you it isn't the coffee thats inhibiting you, not unless you're having a coffee cake to go along with it. :)

lol 2001 or 2002, I was diagnosed with mild UC. It seems to be quite controlled now though. I guess a period of very dark days around that time frame along with heavy doses of cigarettes and caffeine did me in.

as i understand it, nicotine masks the effects of UC. it's the opposite with Crohn's disease; nicotine makes that worse. my UC started during a period of work related stress after i quit smoking (my boss lost his grant, and because of that, i lost my job at one of the really bad points of the recession.) mine is under control now, knock on wood. i'm grateful for that, because when it was at its worst, i doubt that i could have worked a full time job. it was just awful. i'm on a long term medicine for it, and i supplement it with other non-prescription treatments. i'm hoping that remission will continue long enough for me to taper off of the prescription medicine. so far, i've tapered down to half of the prescribed dose.

Imo if you don't like it black, better to go to tea (since you like it without sugar). Especially that much sugar from multiple drinks.

My favorite tea for when I don't want coffee/energy drinks is Morning Thunder by Celestial iirc. It's Yerba Mate and Black tea. Yerba Mate by its self can also be good (a tea place near me used to have one that had a nice nutty taste, and another mixed with peppermint which was awesome).

Coffee, the blessed evil, is why I've been working out every day for a long time and yet still slowly gaining weight.

After some regretful calculations that made me cringe (which came after a lot of resistance), I figured that my 4 - 6 cups of coffee + (apparently) 3/16 (or .18 - .20) of a cup of sugar in each one = 500 - 800 extra calories per day (likely higher than that because who just drinks 6 cups of coffee a day?)

And thus brings the last bits of coffee drinking to an end. Years ago I used to drink more than a pot (or two) a day . . . and I paired it down to 4-6 after a lot of effort. But in doing so, I let go of creamer. Evidently that was bad because it took more than twice as much sugar to get the coffee to a more palatable state. I was better off adding creamer to it (60 calories per cup, instead).

So . . . it's with no great pleasure that I stop drinking it entirely.

Now on the flip side - when I cut down on coffee the first go around 2 years ago I took up drinking tea and cider. Tea I drink unsweetened and love it so it's time to just embrace the British Ways.

For pity's sake no more ****ing coffee. As I type, I'm savoring the last cup.

Get better coffee, and drink it black. Get some high quality stuff, and then brew it using a french press.

Both Sumatra and Ethiopian coffees , or Guatemala or Peru have low acid coffee

The caffeine in coffee acts as a natural thermogenic. This boosts metabolism and helps attack fat. If it is the sugar which, as you've seen it is, than cut it out. Use Splenda, or Stevia, or even Sugar in the Raw in smaller amounts. Unless you are adding coffee to your sugar than sugar isn't the problem.

Now, what I've done with great success is took a strategic approach to my coffee drinking when I'm working on weight loss. Drink a cup before and a cup after exercising. Consuming sugar directly after exercising is crucial, as it replenishes lost glycogen levels in the body, the caffeine extends the increase in metabolic rate. Obviously drinking it before hand gives you an energy boost which will increase performance as well as allow for more calories to be burned.

IF you just want to get off it, than I'd suggest a green tea. There is one called Gunpowder that gives you a real bang without any of the jitters. Mancha is strong too but is a bit more expensive for the good stuff and takes a little longer to prepare.

As a mid day beverage I usually have a few cups of Earl Grey w/ honey or Sugar in the raw.

All in all I can assure you it isn't the coffee thats inhibiting you, not unless you're having a coffee cake to go along with it. :)

Regarding Splenda.. I'm not sure about stevia.. ive read a few studies that show Splenda tricks your body's insulin response as it thinks you had a bunch of sugar.
This can cause a variety of metabolic issues as well as other issues. if a person is eating low/no carb you can end up with a starvation response and your body can remove stored glycogen from your liver and muscles and break it down instead of burning fat for energy for one.

Regarding Splenda.. I'm not sure about stevia.. ive read a few studies that show Splenda tricks your body's insulin response as it thinks you had a bunch of sugar.
This can cause a variety of metabolic issues as well as other issues. if a person is eating low/no carb you can end up with a starvation response and your body can remove stored glycogen from your liver and muscles and break it down instead of burning fat for energy for one.

I'd be interested in seeing those, I'll have to look them up.

Well - I figured by now I would have had serious setbacks from quitting sugared coffee.

Right now it's 3:24 am and I'm awake . . . not sure how to process the fact that I can't sleep (up way early - but I went to bed at 10 so it sort of balances out). No headaches. I'm sure going from Coffee to Earl Grey doesn't really dip the caffeine scale much.

Otherwise, I don't feel MUCH different at all.

My husband can't quit the Captain jokes, though. "More tea... Earl Grey, hot."

We were going to have those little churros with hot chocolate later in Guadamar. They're great. But honestly, you drink it? It is very thick.
Absolutely. What are you gonna do when you run out of churros, just leave the remaining chocolate in the cup?

Absolutely. What are you gonna do when you run out of churros, just leave the remaining chocolate in the cup?

Order more churros. ;)

Coffee, the blessed evil, is why I've been working out every day for a long time and yet still slowly gaining weight.

After some regretful calculations that made me cringe (which came after a lot of resistance), I figured that my 4 - 6 cups of coffee + (apparently) 3/16 (or .18 - .20) of a cup of sugar in each one = 500 - 800 extra calories per day (likely higher than that because who just drinks 6 cups of coffee a day?)

And thus brings the last bits of coffee drinking to an end. Years ago I used to drink more than a pot (or two) a day . . . and I paired it down to 4-6 after a lot of effort. But in doing so, I let go of creamer. Evidently that was bad because it took more than twice as much sugar to get the coffee to a more palatable state. I was better off adding creamer to it (60 calories per cup, instead).

So . . . it's with no great pleasure that I stop drinking it entirely.

Now on the flip side - when I cut down on coffee the first go around 2 years ago I took up drinking tea and cider. Tea I drink unsweetened and love it so it's time to just embrace the British Ways.

For pity's sake no more ****ing coffee. As I type, I'm savoring the last cup.

I'm of the opinion that if you have to put sugar in your coffee, you're drinking bad coffee. Good coffee requires no additives. But cutting back on the caffeine is probably a good thing. I drink too much coffee for sure, grad school instilled many bad habits. I try to bring it down to just a few French Press worths a day and none on the weekend.

Get better coffee, and drink it black. Get some high quality stuff, and then brew it using a french press.

Both Sumatra and Ethiopian coffees , or Guatemala or Peru have low acid coffee

This is how it's done. Start with high quality beans, if you want to be all hippy about it make sure it's fair trade and all that good stuff. Brew with a French Press. There's really no substitute for it. water at 205 -207 °F is the ideal temp for brewing most coffees.

What's with everyone thinking it's the beans that count?

I just don't like strong coffee flavor - which should have been a sign that I needed to stop drinking it a long time ago.

I just don't like strong coffee flavor - which should have been a sign that I needed to stop drinking it a long time ago.

Because it's the beans and the brewing method that count. If using good beans and brewing properly, a lot of those acidic and harsh tannin notes that you find in bad coffee are subdued. Good coffee doesn't need sugar or creamer. Start with good beans, brew properly and you'll have some happy coffee.

I mean, there are folk who just don't like coffee, and that's that. But often, I have found, that when people are putting a lot of cream or sugar into their coffee, it's because they are drinking bad coffee.

Last edited:

It's the quality of the flavor. Most coffee is very poor quality, and a lot of the mainstream coffee sellers have been importing even more acidic and poor quality beans (and jacking up the price), because they found they can. This poor quality adds to the acidic content of the coffree, and to the 'strong coffee flavor' that people complain about. High quality beans, particularly from areas that produce lower acidic coffee beans have a much mellower and smooth flavor.

Well it's 3/6 . . . I've been coffee-less for about 3 weeks. I've had 4 cups of coffee since I started this post. Every day I drink about 2 - 3 cups of straight tea (no sweeteners) and I still like it.

So it led to a strange effort of needing to eat for all my fuel rather than drink to sustain myself. My body didn't appreciate that at all. I spent about 2 weeks sick off and on with various ailments that weren't contagious so they were clearly diet related.

But that's past me, now. It's been almost a week since all that ended.

And for the first time in YEARS - I'm finally losing weight.

Regrets? None.

Since I'm not feeding myself with coffee I can actually eat candy and other snacks on occasion without it interfering too much with my weight-loss efforts. So strangely - my diet is healthy with the occasional sweet and I really don't feel like I'm dieting at all. I am struggling every day to eat ENOUGH. I'm just not used to food for breakfast or lunch. And by eating when I'm hungry I'm actually on some strange 4 meal a day natural cycle. Breakfast, mid-morning (around 10) and mid-afternoon (around 2) then dinner later. Since my diet was mostly liquid for years I don't have over-eating compulsions or anything like that.

I like coffee strong enough to grow hair on your chest and kind of wonder what would happen if I drank Turkish expresso every morning. ;)

Brew yourself some GOOD coffee, then you won't have to ruin it with sugar and creamer.
Agreed.

I pay $11.70/lb for my Rip City coffee made by Boyd's. I buy the whole bean and have a burr grinder. I don't grind it until I'm ready to make coffee, and go through about a pound a week.

I drink it black. Nothing added, unless..... I add Captain Morgans Black and some Irish country Cream!

organic-rip-cty_copy.jpg

Organic Rip City Coffee® - Organic - Shop All Coffee

Back
Top Bottom