• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Coast Guard bans reporters from oil cleanup sites

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Obama's crew is doing one helluva job of containing the slick. It's no wonder these clowns can't get anything done, if this is the kind of bull**** they spend their obviously limited brain power on.

Journalists who come too close to oil spill clean-up efforts without permission could find themselves facing a $40,000 fine and even one to five years in prison under a new rule instituted by the Coast Guard late last week.

Coast Guard bans reporters from oil cleanup sites | Raw Story

Obama's crew is doing one helluva job of containing the slick. It's no wonder these clowns can't get anything done, if this is the kind of bull**** they spend their obviously limited brain power on.

So you missed this in the article:

In defending the new rule, Allen told reporters that he got "complaints from local officials" about the safety of people near cleanup effort

Obama has an iron fist over those local officials.

Yet another abuse of "safety" in order to quell the rights of the press.

What do they have to hide that they want to block the media from seeing?

Yet another abuse of "safety" in order to quell the rights of the press.

What do they have to hide that they want to block the media from seeing?

Oil is toxic. What if a reporter got in and somehow got sick or died?

sucks for him. :shrug:

I think it's more in the best interest of public safety. Naturally people want to know what's going on. They should allow reporters to go there if they sign some sort of waiver.

I think it's more in the best interest of public safety. Naturally people want to know what's going on. They should allow reporters to go there if they sign some sort of waiver.

It will be interesting to see how this thread plays out. I recall some of our more animated left wingers making huge stinks regarding the press and random stuff a few years back....

If reporters are genuinely getting in the way, I dont see a problem with kicking reporters out. I support freedom of the press, but if that is hindering cleanup efforts and safety, concessions must be made.

So you missed this in the article:

Obama has an iron fist over those local officials.

geez...can you BE anymore partisan and quick to defend your guy??? You took ONE line in a story...an unsubstantiated line by the individual issuing the order to DEFEND the order...and apparently have ignored the reporters concerns? You arent even a LITTLE bit suspicious? I mean...this has been managed SO WELL since the outset...and they have been SO completely upfront and forthcoming with information about the spill...the clean up efforts, etc...so...no reason to be even a LITTLE suspicous (sarcasm alert). And hey...we arent even talking about the evil Fox empire...CNN is leading the charge addressing concerns.

If reporters are genuinely getting in the way, I dont see a problem with kicking reporters out. I support freedom of the press, but if that is hindering cleanup efforts and safety, concessions must be made.

Of course! And the election in November...the fact that the story has pretty much disappeared from network news, gets brief mentions on news...its been...what...80+ days and daddy still hasnt plugged the hole (I guess babygirl must have stopped asking THAT question)...and the oil has spread from Texas to the Keys...thats just a happy coincidence and not at all part of limiting the news coverage.

Ol Anderson Cooper and CNN better watch themselves. They keep trying to report on this stuff and it wont be long and the leftists will be ranking him and them right in with Beck, OReilly and Fox news.

Of course! And the election in November...the fact that the story has pretty much disappeared from network news, gets brief mentions on news...its been...what...80+ days and daddy still hasnt plugged the hole (I guess babygirl must have stopped asking THAT question)...and the oil has spread from Texas to the Keys...thats just a happy coincidence and not at all part of limiting the news coverage.

Ol Anderson Cooper and CNN better watch themselves. They keep trying to report on this stuff and it wont be long and the leftists will be ranking him and them right in with Beck, OReilly and Fox news.
Seriously, spare me the drama. If there's a safety issue, then I dont really see why there's a problem with removing the reporters.

Left or Right, it's news going on that can no longer being covered. Of course a NEWS network will be upset. It isn't a left vs right issue. It's more of an issue of safety vs awareness. Should we risk safety in order to be more aware of an issue? It's an issue that's highly debatable.

apdst said:
Obama's crew is doing one helluva job of containing the slick.
VanceMack said:
80+ days and daddy still hasnt plugged the hole

The government didn't spill this oil. The free market did. It's their responsibility to repair and clean it up.

Unless of course, you subscribe to the 'privatize the profit, socialize the risk' theory...:)

The government didn't spill this oil. The free market did. It's their responsibility to repair and clean it up.

Unless of course, you subscribe to the 'privatize the profit, socialize the risk' theory...:)

Did the free market lease them the area?

Did the free market tell them they had to go past the continental shelf into deep water?

Did the free market give them a safety award?

But if you have a bully, you ask daddy to beat them up for you.

Last edited:
Seriously, spare me the drama. If there's a safety issue, then I dont really see why there's a problem with removing the reporters.

"Centrist"....thats hilarious! :lamo

When that plane landed in the Hudson River a while back, my company got calls from reporters wanting to go up and fly around the site of the crash to take photos, while the evacuation and rescue efforts were still underway. I told him no, we wouldn't do that because it might interfere with the rescue effort, and that we'd probably be barred from entering that airspace anyway. He starting screaming about freedom of the press and his rights as a customer and whatever.

Reporters need to understand that sometimes their presence constitutes a hazard to themselves or others.

I will repeat my position...if this was Bush, this would be a front page story every news cycle and every democrat and liberal and tree hugger would be blasting him for not doing enough to solve the problem.

Since...as we all know...Obama has been 'in charge' since day one.

I dont CARE who's fault it was...you stop the leak. You preserve the shores and coastline. You worry about assessing blame and getting people to pay for it afterward but you stop the link.

When that plane landed in the Hudson River a while back, my company got calls from reporters wanting to go up and fly around the site of the crash to take photos, while the evacuation and rescue efforts were still underway. I told him no, we wouldn't do that because it might interfere with the rescue effort, and that we'd probably be barred from entering that airspace anyway. He starting screaming about freedom of the press and his rights as a customer and whatever.

Reporters need to understand that sometimes their presence constitutes a hazard to themselves or others.

And you HONESTLY BELIEVE thats what is happening here...

I will repeat my position...if this was Bush, this would be a front page story every news cycle and every democrat and liberal and tree hugger would be blasting him for not doing enough to solve the problem.

Since...as we all know...Obama has been 'in charge' since day one.

I dont CARE who's fault it was...you stop the leak. You preserve the shores and coastline. You worry about assessing blame and getting people to pay for it afterward but you stop the link.

And we get called "parisan hacks" for posting opinions such as this. :doh:

Left or Right, it's news going on that can no longer being covered. Of course a NEWS network will be upset. It isn't a left vs right issue. It's more of an issue of safety vs awareness. Should we risk safety in order to be more aware of an issue? It's an issue that's highly debatable.

Riiight. And heres the REALLY cool part...we have ONE LINE from the guy who issued the policy stating its a safety problem...without addressing just what the safety problem is, how it is a problem, to whim, in what capacity...and IMMEDIATELY we have at least 4 people (safety experts dontcha know...) chiming in here, jumping in AFFIRMING...uh huh...yep...thats what it is...its a SAFETY risk. You bet...thats what he said...right there...its a safety risk...because safety is important...and...safe...and you cant be all rerporting and be unsafe...it...it wouldnt be safe. And thats why...because its a SAFETY issue...

And we get called "parisan hacks" for posting opinions such as this. :doh:

Im not sure what is more sad...that they KNOW they are full of ****...or if they DONT! :shock:

Im not sure what is more sad...that they KNOW they are full of ****...or if they DONT! :shock:

What I find shocking, is how this spill is a disaster, and we here are calling for an all hands on deck approach, yet, these same people who chided bush's response to Katrina are actually defending some of the delay this administration is responsible for..... It's amazing....

What I find shocking, is how this spill is a disaster, and we here are calling for an all hands on deck approach, yet, these same people who chided bush's response to Katrina are actually defending some of the delay this administration is responsible for..... It's amazing....

Oh come now. Amazing? Hardly. Typical, Expected, Pathetic...but not amazing. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom