• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CO2 passes Symbolic 400 PPM mark.

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
BBC News - Carbon dioxide passes symbolic mark
Carbon dioxide passes symbolic mark
10 May 2013

Daily measurements of CO2 at a US government agency lab on Hawaii have topped 400 parts per million for the first time.
The station, which sits on the Mauna Loa volcano, feeds its numbers into a continuous record of the concentration of the gas stretching back to 1958.

The last time CO2 was regularly above 400ppm was 3-5 Million years ago - before modern humans existed.
Scientists say the climate back then was also considerably warmer than it is today.

Carbon dioxide is regarded as the most important of the manmade greenhouse gases blamed for raising the temperature on the planet over recent decades.
Human sources come principally from the burning of fossil fuels such as coal, oil and gas."..."

This is the May graph at co2now.org
June will show over 400PPM
Great for seeing what's happened of the last 50-60 years alone.
co2_widget_brundtland_600_graph.gif

Last edited:
What exactly is this 400 PPM level symbolic of ?

What exactly is this 400 PPM level symbolic of ?

I'm pretty sure the explanation was on the first post.

But I'm starting to see your comprehension problem. You only read thread topic subject lines, not entire posts.

That explains a lot.

They are suggesting we change our lives because of a symbol.

global climate change.

it's been millions of years since CO2 levels have been this high.

But its not been millions of years since temperatures were higher . Indeed they were higher for most of the last 12000 years than those we see today minus capitalism

Holocene_Temperature_Variations.jpg

Given that is demonstrably the case heres a shattering thought for you . What if its natural and niether we nor our demonic CO 2 have anything to do with it ?

What will you do then ?

Last edited:
But its not been millions of years since temperatures were higher . Indeed they were higher for most of the last 12000 years than those we see today minus capitalism

View attachment 67149923

Heres a shattering though for you . What if its natural ?

LOL.
I thought you said that data was wrong, and you burned thru many posts to pretend you showed it.

LOL.
I thought you said that data was wrong, and you burned thru many posts to pretend you showed it.

No its was just (as ever) your lack of comprehension

How much data would you like that shows the same ? (Kobashi 2011 4000 year ice core record). I'm wondering you have the intellect to comprehend graphs and what they mean but I'm really not that hopeful

Attachments

• 4000yearsgreenland_nov2011_gprl.jpg
    4000yearsgreenland_nov2011_gprl.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
No its was just (as ever) your lack of comprehension

How much data would you like that shows the same ? (Kobashi 2011 4000 year ice core record). I'm wondering you have the intellect to comprehend graphs and what they mean but I'm really not that hopeful

You are pulling out a single ice core record again while simultaneously ignoring all the other ice cores and other temperature proxies?

Seems like you could do gainful employment to make extra money instead of lying about how the evil scientists are gonna steal your pension someday.

You are pulling out a single ice core record again while simultaneously ignoring all the other ice cores and other temperature proxies?

No the first graph had multiple proxies all of which tended to agree. See ? I knew graphs would be a problem for you

Seems like you could do gainful employment to make extra money instead of lying about how the evil scientists are gonna steal your pension someday

You dont live in my country where they they are already stealing it and reducing the prospects for continued gainful employment so what do you know ?

I know I wouldn't know your graph has multiple proxies because its a thinly labeled, unreferenced graph. I assumed it was Kobayashi ice cores, (since you basically said it was), which has a single, regional ice core proxy.

View attachment 67149923

Given that is demonstrably the case heres a shattering thought for you . What if its natural and niether we nor our demonic CO 2 have anything to do with it ?

What will you do then ?

I didn't say anything about temperatures.

If you were aware of anything you would know that the last time CO2 levels were this high the oceans were also a lot higher, and large ungulates were grazing in the arctic circle.

but there IS a correlation between higher CO2 and higher temps - and scientists have identified that with our rising CO2 levels - faster over a sustained period than any natural rise has occurred - that temps will rise.

what I don't understand about the church of denialism is that they think one thing proves everything, and they appear to be so totally devoid of understanding that the natural world is not black and white - like their thinking.

oh wait. denialism is a religion of the more fundamentalist variety ... of course you think like that!

The concentration of CO2 on top of an active volcano is alarming? I bet the concentration is much lower in the Mariana's Trench.

You're right it is symbolic. Purely.

Meanwhile, here in the Real World, we are still not getting warmer, but people are still getting hysterical.

You're right it is symbolic. Purely.

Meanwhile, here in the Real World, we are still not getting warmer, but people are still getting hysterical.

so what planet is your real world on?

Uranus?

The concentration of CO2 on top of an active volcano is alarming? I bet the concentration is much lower in the Mariana's Trench.

Can anyone tell me how long I have to wait before my house is beachfront property? I live in Ohio and am trying to evaluate my options for retirement planning.

Can anyone tell me how long I have to wait before my house is beachfront property? I live in Ohio and am trying to evaluate my options for retirement planning.

move to Cleveland.

What will you do then ?

Why would the planet getting warmer being "natural" mean that we shouldn't attempt to ascertain why and then try to stop it?

I'm pretty sure the explanation was on the first post.

But I'm starting to see your comprehension problem. You only read thread topic subject lines, not entire posts.

That explains a lot.

Out of curiosity, are you asserting that the rise of CO2 is going to cause the climate to return to the conditions prevalent 3 to 5 million years ago?

Back
Top Bottom