• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CO Police Officer fired and charged with failing to intervene.

JMB802

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Aurora Police Department has been problematic for years. Their new chief seems to be determined to not sweep things under the rug. Based on a google news search, "failing to intervene" seems to be a rare charge.

The arrest was captured on body-camera footage and released by the police department during a media briefing on July 27. The victim, 29-year-old Kyle Vinson, can be heard pleading with the officers, telling them he couldn’t breath and yelling that they were going to kill him.

Martinez is being criminally charged with two misdemeanor offenses for failure to intervene and report use of force, according to Aurora police Chief Vanessa Wilson. Martinez has been with the department for six years.

Why are you posting this?

Nobody died.

The Aurora Police Department has been problematic for years. Their new chief seems to be determined to not sweep things under the rug. Based on a google news search, "failing to intervene" seems to be a rare charge.

The arrest was captured on body-camera footage and released by the police department during a media briefing on July 27. The victim, 29-year-old Kyle Vinson, can be heard pleading with the officers, telling them he couldn’t breath and yelling that they were going to kill him.

Martinez is being criminally charged with two misdemeanor offenses for failure to intervene and report use of force, according to Aurora police Chief Vanessa Wilson. Martinez has been with the department for six years.
Hopefully this sets a precedent.

It reminds passive policemen who stand by and watch comrades ****ing with peoples' lives that they are culpable too.
I was hoping that quote was meant to be ironic.

All this does is make officers more inclined to not ever get involved. This area can expect these officers to stop looking for trouble and stop doing what we want police to do, find the bad guys. Good luck finding anyone to be a police officer in that area.

All this does is make officers more inclined to not ever get involved. This area can expect these officers to stop looking for trouble and stop doing what we want police to do, find the bad guys. Good luck finding anyone to be a police officer in that area.
"when former officer John Haubert beat, choked and pistol-whipped an unarmed civilian on July 23 while responding to a trespassing call."

Wait...so you support police performing actions like this??

The victim would have been better off if cops weren't involved.

The cops did find the bad guys. Francine Martinez was one of them.

How do you suppose an officer could get in trouble for standing around with her thumb up her ass as another police thug beat the ever-loving piss out a suspect . . .

. . . if they didn't find the suspect?

Still, I suppose we should be grateful for your accidental admission that you do not actually bother to learn about a subject before posting about it.

It's not about looking for trouble it's about not ignoring the fact when your partner is murdering someone.

Okay, here goes.

Everyone screws up at their job. It is inevitable. Now look at police work. So many variables that it is very hard to train someone to be a cop. You just have to do it and see if you are any good. Most people who graduate from a police academy end up being good cops. But a significant percentage of those people who become cops find out it just isn't for them. The truth is, it's a tough job, and a good portion of those who go into it fail. By actually prosecuting those people who aren't good at it, you are making it a job not many people are willing to try. If we looked at doctors like we are now looking at police, we would have a doctor shortage, cause beginning doctors make mistakes that kill people.

I'm not saying that bad cops shouldn't be fired. I'm saying that by going after bad cops using the legal system, we are chasing off good applicants from ever trying. There was a police shortage BEFORE all this started. What do you think is happening NOW?

I'm not saying that bad cops shouldn't be fired. I'm saying that by going after bad cops using the legal system, we are chasing off good applicants from ever trying. There was a police shortage BEFORE all this started. What do you think is happening NOW?
"I'm not saying bad cops shouldn't be fired, now here's why I think they shouldn't be fired."

The ****

Back
Top Bottom