• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN's hatred of Trump is off the charts

Indypendent

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I've turned to it off and on since just after Monday night's coverage of the RNC and every single time I've turned it on they are spending the entire time still obsessing about Melania Trump's plagiarism of Michelle Obama's 2008 speech. I can't imagine at last 90% of their airtime since Monday night hasn't been devoted to this.

They have failed to mention that Michelle Obama's 2008 speech plagiarized the writings of Saul Alinsky and also a sentence from Elizabeth Dole's 1996 RNC speech ("your word is your bond" appeared in Mrs. Dole's speech).

Michelle Obama: “…the world as it should be.” In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.'” (Perhaps Mr. Obama who left out the attribution.)

Michelle Obama Copied Alinsky in Speech Melania Trump Plagiarized

Also this:

"Only limit to achievement is the limit you place on your own dreams."
-Crossing Antarctica 1991 page 318

"The only limit to the height of your achievement is the reach of your dreams."
-Michelle Obama 2008

"The only limit to your achievement is the strength of your dreams and you willingness to work for them."
-Melania Trump 2016

--------------

And of course they spent no time reporting on this in 2008 when it happened, let alone the 40 hours they've spent obsessing over Melania Trump instead of covering the convention.

It seems as if they will do anything to deflect from the actual issues and those speaking at the RNC and what they are saying. They're quickly becoming just another MSNBC. :(

I've turned to it off and on since just after Monday night's coverage of the RNC and every single time I've turned it on they are spending the entire time still obsessing about Melania Trump's plagiarism of Michelle Obama's 2008 speech. I can't imagine at last 90% of their airtime since Monday night hasn't been devoted to this.

They have failed to mention that Michelle Obama's 2008 speech plagiarized the writings of Saul Alinsky and also a sentence from Elizabeth Dole's 1996 RNC speech ("your word is your bond" appeared in Mrs. Dole's speech).

Michelle Obama: “…the world as it should be.” In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.'” (Perhaps Mr. Obama who left out the attribution.)

Also this:

-Michelle Obama 2008

"The only limit to your achievement is the strength of your dreams and you willingness to work for them."
-Melania Trump 2016

--------------

And of course they spent no time reporting on this in 2008 when it happened, let alone the 40 hours they've spent obsessing over Melania Trump instead of covering the convention.

It seems as if they will do anything to deflect from the actual issues and those speaking at the RNC and what they are saying. They're quickly becoming just another MSNBC. :(

For good reason. He's a dick.

CNN= Clinton News Network

Last edited:

Also this:

-Michelle Obama 2008

-Melania Trump 2016

--------------

And you expected anything less? Why?

This is just the tip of the iceberg of what will most likely be the nastiest and most negative campaign in modern history. They are going to hit Trump harder and more frequently than any GOP nominee has ever been hit. Much of it will be petty, trivial, and inconsequential but it's coming, don't doubt it.

The flip side, of course, is that Hillary provides an equally target rich environment and you can bet that things are going to get plenty nasty for her, too. In the end I think who ever wins will be the one who is able to convince the most people that their pile of **** smells slightly better than their opponent's pile of ****.

Also this:

-Michelle Obama 2008

-Melania Trump 2016

--------------

It's kind of fascinating to watch. With all the stuff going on and all the issues there are to debate they choose to focus on a giant nothingburger involving one small section of a speech that involved perspective on principles everyone agrees on. Talk about creating controversy where none exists...

I've been generally disappointed with CNN's coverage that I've watched thus far, as it's far less about the convention than this single stupid hangup. However, a few things...

They have failed to mention that Michelle Obama's 2008 speech plagiarized the writings of Saul Alinsky

That wasn't plagiarism. She did not pass off the words or ideas "the world as it is" and "the word as it should be" as her own, but rather attributed them to where she heard them from, namely in her quote Barack Obama. I don't know what you or others think plagiarism is, but directly indicating you're quoting someone and then quoting them is not plagiarism.

and also a sentence from Elizabeth Dole's 1996 RNC speech ("your word is your bond" appeared in Mrs. Dole's speech).

A single phrase using an extremely common idiom is not in and of itself plagiarism, nor is it an accurate comparison to what happened in Melania's speech.

Criticizing CNN's coverage is absolutely reasonable. Criticizing it with idiotically unreasonable arguments, however, simply makes you look like the flip side of the exact same problematic coverage.

Also this:

-Michelle Obama 2008

-Melania Trump 2016

--------------

Gosh.

If only someone - anyone - had predicted that the MSM would turn on him after he was nominated, and that all the free, fun press he was getting would stop buttressing him, and instead quickly turn hostile.

If only someone had warned us.

Repeatedly.

For months.

That wasn't plagiarism. She did not pass off the words or ideas "the world as it is" and "the word as it should be" as her own, but rather attributed them to where she heard them from, namely in her quote Barack Obama. I don't know what you or others think plagiarism is, but directly indicating you're quoting someone and then quoting them is not plagiarism.

OK, they didn't spend 24/7 for days on end obsessing over Michelle Obama's husband's plagiarism. Better?

CNN hates Trump so much that for nearly a year's worth of time, they put him on their television programming as much as Wolf Blitzer and not a single hour goes by without mentioning Trump at least once (with the only possible exception being terrorist attacks).

CNN doesn't hate Trump. CNN loves Trump. Or, more accurately, CNN loves making money off Trump. Ironically enough, about the only people who have expressed the strongest feelings of disdain towards Trump have been the conservative commentators, particularly Ana Navarro.

I've been generally disappointed with CNN's coverage that I've watched thus far, as it's far less about the convention than this single stupid hangup. However, a few things...

A single phrase using an extremely common idiom is not in and of itself plagiarism, nor is it an accurate comparison to what happened in Melania's speech.

Criticizing CNN's coverage is absolutely reasonable. Criticizing it with idiotically unreasonable arguments, however, simply makes you look like the flip side of the exact same problematic coverage.

Thank you.

The plagiarism test requires stealing original thought, specifically coined phraseology, or deducted information and making it your own. Simply tossing around everyday thoughts in a similar manner as someone else is not plagiarism. It's lazy, but it's not plagiarism.

We all do this all the time. We grab phrases and expressions from others and use them in our dialogue, including presentations. No attribution is necessary unless you've used far more unique and specific language than this.

But....it's served its purpose. The media is looking for anything to distract from the positive at the convention, and dang it, there aren't any violent protests to cover. Somebody clearly dropped the ball here.

Not sure this is any thing new for CNN or MSNBC.
I think it's intensified because they really want Crooked Hillary elected and hate Trump.
The good thing is that more and more viewers are finally realizing that the media in
general is not fair. They will push their progressive narrative 7/24.

Just a suggestion try watching C-Span coverage of the convention. There are
zero talking heads tell you what you should believe. :)

I haven't had a television for years but we should be fair. When you have a sleazy huckster, a con man who says you shouldn't vote for ugly women and who will stand on a stage and mock the movements of a handicapped man and who profits to the tune of a billion dollars by organizing bankruptcies there is a lot on which to make negative comments. Of course, I do admire a man born a multimillionaire who drags himself up from the bottom with only a small loan from Daddy to get started.

My real question is, will Melania last out a four year term or his her replacement already on order from Eastern Europe?

Also this:

-Michelle Obama 2008

-Melania Trump 2016

--------------

Come on, if this is the only thing they have to report on for all that time, that is a good thing.

So they waste 40 hours with a non-story.

That is their choice.

Not sure this is any thing new for CNN or MSNBC.
I think it's intensified because they really want Crooked Hillary elected and hate Trump.
The good thing is that more and more viewers are finally realizing that the media in
general is not fair. They will push their progressive narrative 7/24.

Just a suggestion try watching C-Span coverage of the convention. There are
zero talking heads tell you what you should believe. :)

Yeah, I've been watching it on the RNC channel on Dish - commercial-free and nobody talking at all. I was watching commentary on cable news stations.

I did notice that the cable news channels are set up there in the arena and talking with guests throughout the speeches - that's just nuts. They decide who is and isn't worth shutting up and listening to.

I haven't had a television for years but we should be fair. When you have a sleazy huckster, a con man who says you shouldn't vote for ugly women and who will stand on a stage and mock the movements of a handicapped man and who profits to the tune of a billion dollars by organizing bankruptcies there is a lot on which to make negative comments. Of course, I do admire a man born a multimillionaire who drags himself up from the bottom with only a small loan from Daddy to get started.

My real question is, will Melania last out a four year term or his her replacement already on order from Eastern Europe?

Wow, a "conservative" who defends the media injecting their political views into the so-called "reporting" of the news they claim to be doing - just as long as the object of their attacks is someone you hate, too. Go figure.

Actually, Team Trump first chose to blame Hillary Clinton for the Melania Trump story, then two days later blamed the speechwriter. Had Team Trump actually admitted their mistake early instead of circling the wagons maybe, just maybe, the rest of the convention would make some news. But blaming CNN sounds so much better. Go with that.

CNN hates Trump so much that for nearly a year's worth of time, they put him on their television programming as much as Wolf Blitzer and not a single hour goes by without mentioning Trump at least once (with the only possible exception being terrorist attacks).

CNN doesn't hate Trump. CNN loves Trump. Or, more accurately, CNN loves making money off Trump. Ironically enough, about the only people who have expressed the strongest feelings of disdain towards Trump have been the conservative commentators, particularly Ana Navarro.

They wanted Trump to win the primary because they felt he was no match for Hillary. Why is this hard for you to understand?

They wanted Trump to win the primary because they felt he was no match for Hillary. Why is this hard for you to understand?
:lol:

CNN, and all news networks, wanted Trump to win the primary because he drives ratings. Increased ratings brings in increased ad revenue which brings in higher profits.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

So Melania Trump plagiarized from Saul Alinsky too? This just gets worse.

Yeah when I heard that she liked Michelle Obama, I was like what??? Hold on, here. I guess she's just not a REGISTERED Democrat.

Here's the problem as I see it - CNN put together their panel for the primary. With representation for each of the candidates, both parties. The primaries are over and yet you still have folks representing those defunct candidates. Most of the nasty anti-Trump kneejerking is coming from them.

Here's the problem as I see it - CNN put together their panel for the primary. With representation for each of the candidates, both parties. The primaries are over and yet you still have folks representing those defunct candidates. Most of the nasty anti-Trump kneejerking is coming from them.
I don't see why that's a problem. Amanda Carpenter represents a segment of conservatives who don't trust Trump. CNN still has Kayleigh McEnany and Jeffrey Lord on to give Trump's side. Plus Katrina Pierson is on Wolf's show almost every day. And they've even added some Trump people here and there.

I don't see a problem with how they cover Trump. But, despite the fact I can name all of those Trump supporters, I cannot think of a single person CNN has had on consistently, aside from campaign manager Ben Weaver, who they've had to present Bernie Sanders side. Now, obviously Sanders was never the frontrunner as Trump has been, but I think Bernie supporters have much more of a grief than Trump supporters.

Back
Top Bottom