• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

CNN: Why Zimmerman / Martin is a National Case

CalGun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin; Millions watching murder trial - CNN.com

Very interesting points near the end of this article particularly with the research
done by MIT on the subject and the media. It also points to the fact the media
was ignited due to a lawyers office which was contacted by Trayvon's parents
who "wanted justice."

I think its safe to say this is a national cased because a mom and a dad just
can't accept the idea thier son might not have been the little innocent that
obama though could have been his own. Now I am harsh in that but in fairness
to them most parents suffer the same disease - "not my boy / girl." Its just
sad they have raised this to such animosity that our nation could suffer
because parents couldn't accept the outcome of the inquiry. An inquiry, which
by all accounts, seems to be shown accurate.

Very interesting points near the end of this article particularly with the research
who "wanted justice."

Exactly. The police did their job and decided not to pursue it, it should have ended there.

who "wanted justice."

"People care about gun rights. People care about race. People care about children. People care about the right to defend yourself. And this case has all of them wrapped up together, and that's rare."

who "wanted justice."

Trayvon's parents are entitled to a trial. This was not an open and shut case and the Police commissioner was fired for ignoring the fact that a murder was committed. If Trayvon's parents had not pushed to get a trial the whole incident would have been ignored. I do believe that Zimmerman will not be convicted as there is too much reasonable doubt, but I agree the trial should have gone on.

Trayvon's parents are entitled to a trial. This was not an open and shut case and the Police commissioner was fired for ignoring the fact that a murder was committed. If Trayvon's parents had not pushed to get a trial the whole incident would have been ignored. I do believe that Zimmerman will not be convicted as there is too much reasonable doubt, but I agree the trial should have gone on.

HUH??????????????????? "Trayvon's parents are entitled to a trial"???????? Are you serious??

OMG, have we REALLY come to statements like this? As I've said, I am MORE frightened by some of the comments I've read here than much of the non merits of this case.

This case is a national case because your President couldn't help taking sides in a matter involving a confrontation between a black and a non-black. President Obama is nothing more than an Al Sharpton with a little more class and a nicer smile, and thus far more effective at roiling racial tension.

HUH??????????????????? "Trayvon's parents are entitled to a trial"???????? Are you serious??

OMG, have we REALLY come to statements like this? As I've said, I am MORE frightened by some of the comments I've read here than much of the non merits of this case.

You made up your mind that Trayvon was guilty. His parents deserve to know what happened. As I've said. Zimmerman will not be concvicted buyt a trial was the right thing to do.

This case is a national case because your President couldn't help taking sides in a matter involving a confrontation between a black and a non-black. President Obama is nothing more than an Al Sharpton with a little more class and a nicer smile, and thus far more effective at roiling racial tension.

Exactly. His comments have ignited a racial firestorm.

It's because they are black.

Don't you know how America works man?

You made up your mind that Trayvon was guilty. His parents deserve to know what happened. As I've said. Zimmerman will not be concvicted buyt a trial was the right thing to do.

The PARENTS have NO right to KNOW anything other than the investigation. A trial?? That's ab so lute ly absurd!

"you made up your mind that Trayvon was guilty"??? Again, say what??? Trayvon has never been on trial here, GZ was. A trial happening was NOT based on "law", that's why the state decided NOT to even CHARGE GZ after their investigation. The ONLY reason there is a trial is due to the race baiting INCLUDING the current occupier of the White House, instead of being a leader and inserting calm, tossed FUEL on the fire.

As I said it's SCARY there are adults who believe someone should go thru a trial, have their home addresses be given out by the likes of spike lee, have the black panthers put our a TEN THOUSAND dollar BOUNTY on their heads, not to be brought in but KILLED!

And it's even more ADSURD, you'd make a claim TM's parents have the right to a TRIAL!!!

It's because they are black.

Don't you know how America works man?

I shudder to admit we've fallen this far. I thought too much of the goodness of ALL human nature. I'm slowly, painfully, becoming aware, I'm wrong.

Martin Luther King's dream of being judged not by the color of our skin but by the content of our character, is not even visible on the horizon let alone within reach. The very fact this case went to trial for no other purpose than to serve as an attempt at a very public lynching of a man who attempted to watch out for his neighborhood is sad sad commentary of the state of our nation. The fact there are people here supporting same is even more disturbing.

Its like a train wreck, you dont want to see but you cant turn a way.

a grand jury trial would of been ok, but this kangaroo court is not justice. it is political theater.

I shudder to admit we've fallen this far. I thought too much of the goodness of ALL human nature. I'm slowly, painfully, becoming aware, I'm wrong.

Martin Luther King's dream of being judged not by the color of our skin but by the content of our character, is not even visible on the horizon let alone within reach. The very fact this case went to trial for no other purpose than to serve as an attempt at a very public lynching of a man who attempted to watch out for his neighborhood is sad sad commentary of the state of our nation. The fact there are people here supporting same is even more disturbing.

When a large portion of black America starts tweeting about killing white people and rioting if he is found not guilty, we have a problem. Apparently, trial by jury is no longer acceptable justice.

Let's not forget OJ

a grand jury trial would of been ok, but this kangaroo court is not justice. it is political theater.
Exactly, the Local DA could have taken this before a grand jury without charges,
to see if the grand jury felt any charges were appropriate.
As it stands now the decision to charge was made by a special prosecutor,
and motivated by the public cry for "Justice".
Allowing our Justice system to be swayed by emotion, serves no one's interest!

It may have these things, but without the pushing of race by the Crum law firm which was hired or at least pushed by the parents this case would have not gained national attention.

"People care about gun rights. People care about race. People care about children. People care about the right to defend yourself. And this case has all of them wrapped up together, and that's rare."

When a large portion of black America starts tweeting about killing white people and rioting if he is found not guilty, we have a problem. Apparently, trial by jury is no longer acceptable justice.

Let's not forget OJ

The only people that are allowed to be racist in America are black people. It's encouraged, in fact.

If Zimmerman was a cop, there would be no trial. But, Zimmerman was nothing but a cop wannabe. So, there is a trial. Pretty simple.

If he shot a white kid heading home from the store, we would not even be debating the issue.

Not really, his parents, like all other parents, must accept what is normal for the criminal justice system. The right thing to do is to convene a grand jury and seek a criminal endictment based on the states evidence, not to allow political pressure to force a trial, overcharge the defendent, present a very weak case and hope that makes your state look pleasing to the media/president.

who "wanted justice."

The reason its a "national" case, is because the President himself commented on it on national news.
Why dont the prez talk about the 500 deaths in Chicago?

Exactly, the Local DA could have taken this before a grand jury without charges,
to see if the grand jury felt any charges were appropriate.
As it stands now the decision to charge was made by a special prosecutor,
and motivated by the public cry for "Justice".
Allowing our Justice system to be swayed by emotion, serves no one's interest!

It serves the interest of those in the media, those opposed to SYG laws, those opposed to anyone being able to carry a gun, and those that insist that racism is what still allows black teenagers to be shot.

No, they were NOT entitled to a trial. They were entitled to make an appearance before a Grand Jury to ask a panel of citizens for an indictment. This was denied to them and to Zimmerman. They were not entitled to just have Zimmerman arrested, taken to jail, and to have to expend hundreds of thousands of dollars in bond and attorney fees.

The travesity is? That no Grand Jury (ie independent citizens) was used. Instead, the government - ie politicians - singularly made all decisions.

The concept that I could believe I have a complaint against you - for which then you are charged with what I accuse, jailed, required to post bond money you will never get back, pay tens of thousands in attorney fees you will never get back, be restricted in movement, wear a GPS ankle, and have every aspect of your history and personal life put in the newspaper, on TV and online is NOT a right I would have because I have a complaint against you.

The right I should have in relation to you is to go to the police and/or go to a citizens grand jury asking that grand jury to agree with me that you committed a crime - and then THEY (not I, not politicians) decide if there is reason to have a full trial or not - and GZ of course then arrested on the indictment.

Would GZ have been indicted by a grand jury? We will never know. But it was politicians who corrupted this all by totally removing BOTH the investigating police AND citizens in terms of the grand jury. Sadly, all the politicians did in fact personally and politically benefit by this corruption - for which their interest either way has basically ended.

The DA who is who actually did it this way - the most corrupt DA in the country - got her re-election and then she just walked away from it all. Obama carried Florida with heavy African-American voter turnout again - which was waning prior to this all. This has never been treated as a criminal case or really about Martin and Zimmerman. It has been about corrupt politicians corrupting the system - and again personally benefiting by doing so. Martin and Zimmerman both are just petty tools they used that they no longer care about either way because there's nothing in it for them anymore.

So each involved politician having gotten everything he/she wanted out, then just let some low-rent DA do whatever with the case and move on - which is what they all did.

It was not Martin's parents who pushed this whatsoever. It was politicians employing the media.

Last edited:
The only people that are allowed to be racist in America are black people. It's encouraged, in fact.

Even admitting this fact is considered racist :roll:

Back
Top Bottom