• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

CNN - The Mistrusted Name In News

GPS_Flex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
CNN claims to be “The Most Trusted Name in News” but they apparently have no problem keeping their viewers misinformed as evidenced by their refusal to pull a controversial and blatantly false NARAL add accusing Supreme Court nominee John Roberts of supporting abortion clinic bombings and excusing violence against other Americans. Apparently CNN has no problem airing misinformation that is aimed at tricking its viewers into thinking Roberts is somehow linked to violent fringe groups.

Fox News refused to run the advertisement.

Drudge Report:

Washington Post:

Last edited:
GPS_Flex said:
CNN claims to be “The Most Trusted Name in News” but they apparently have no problem keeping their viewers misinformed as evidenced by their refusal to pull a controversial and blatantly false NARAL add accusing Supreme Court nominee John Roberts of supporting abortion clinic bombings and excusing violence against other Americans. Apparently CNN has no problem airing misinformation that is aimed at tricking its viewers into thinking Roberts is somehow linked to violent fringe groups.

Fox News refused to run the advertisement.

Drudge Report:

Washington Post:

Not surprising. Isn't Ted Turner a close friend of Fidel Castro?

MiamiFlorida said:

Wasn't he also a close friend of... Jane Fonda?? :shock:

KevinWan said:
Wasn't he also a close friend of... Jane Fonda??
No, they were only married at one time.

The “Mouth of the South” shouldn’t be confused with those pro American Fox news people just because he’s America’s largest private land owner and was married to Hanoi Jane.

JaneFonda-MugShot.jpg

Jane-gun3-copy.jpg

GPS_Flex said:
No, they were only married at one time.

The “Mouth of the South” shouldn’t be confused with those pro American Fox news people just because he’s America’s largest private land owner and was married to Hanoi Jane.

JaneFonda-MugShot.jpg

Jane-gun3-copy.jpg

Well, Teddy is consistent.....likes communist dictators and ultra radicals...except when he's counting his billions.

I think it’s important that this topic not be about Ted or Jane.

The issue is about CNN and it’s refusal to pull the NARAL advertisement even after it was unequivocally proven to be blatantly false and misleading.

MiamiFlorida said:

Castro > Bush.

There you go again with your Jane-Callings. You seem to like traitors!

Didn't they (CNN) agree to Saddam's terms in Iraq on what could and couldn't be reported there in return for their being able to stay in country? Just a pesky little fact. Not trying to disrupt the thread.

Arch Enemy said:
Castro > Bush.

There you go again with your Jane-Callings. You seem to like traitors!

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

GPS_Flex said:
I think it’s important that this topic not be about Ted or Jane.

The issue is about CNN and it’s refusal to pull the NARAL advertisement even after it was unequivocally proven to be blatantly false and misleading.

I beg to differ. Who owns CNN?

MiamiFlorida said:
I beg to differ. Who owns CNN?

Time Warner - Cable

HBO
CNN
CNN International
CNN en Espanol
CNN Headline News
CNN Airport Network
CNN fn
CNN Radio
CNN Interactive
Court TV (with Liberty Media)
Time Warner Cable
Road Runner
New York 1 News (24 hour news channel devoted only to NYC)
Kablevision (53.75% - cable television in Hungary)

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/timewarner.asp

CNN is obviously biased, but they are no longer directed by this nut.......

Turner.jpg

No galenrox, it’s about credibility and the responsibility a news agency has to it’s viewers/readers. If any news agency runs an add they know to be blatantly false and misleading, they have a responsibility to their readers/viewers to pull said add or they need to drop the “most trusted name in news” claim.

The advertisement wasn’t just misleading; it was grossly inaccurate and inflammatory. Are you of the opinion that news agencies shouldn’t screen the advertisements they sell air-time to or do you agree with Wolf Blitzer that CNN should only refuse to run advertisements that are “totally, totally outrageous”? If this wasn’t a “totally, totally outrageous” advertisement, what is? Come on galenrox, there has to be a point where you demand a certain level of responsibility from any news agency…particularly one that claims to be the most trusted name in news.

How can you possibly trust a news agency if it refuses to pull an advertisement that it knows is full of blatant lies? You can’t unless you are a liberal who doesn’t give a care about hearing the truth and just wants your news channel to tell you what you want to hear.

I don’t trust CNN now because they knew the advertisement they were running was false and misleading. If you can show otherwise, I’d be more than happy to entertain your theory. As it stands, CNN ran an advertisement it knew was a crock of SH**! When called on it they refused to pull it and continued to run it.

It isn’t a witch-hunt. It is me as a consumer demanding that my news outlets be responsible for what they air. Is that asking too much galenrox?

Last edited:
That is the point of it, I think. At some point the responsible media will not intentionally smear or defame anybody through false or erroneous information even via a paid advertisement. Politics has always been a contentuous, adversarial, and confrontational business, but at some point we all need to toe the line and say that deliberate politics of personal destruction will not stand. Shame on CNN. Kudos to Fox. (Of course this may be why Fox has been consistently kicking CNN's butt in the ratings.)

cnredd said:
Time Warner - Cable

HBO
CNN
CNN International
CNN en Espanol
CNN Headline News
CNN Airport Network
CNN fn
CNN Radio
CNN Interactive
Court TV (with Liberty Media)
Time Warner Cable
Road Runner
New York 1 News (24 hour news channel devoted only to NYC)
Kablevision (53.75% - cable television in Hungary)

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/timewarner.asp

I stand corrected. Having said that:

R. E. Turner

• Chairman, Turner Enterprises, Inc. – 2003 to present.

• Vice Chairman of the Company – AOL/Time Warner Merger in January 2001 to May 2003.

• Vice Chairman, Time Warner – consummation of Time Warner’s merger with Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (“TBS”) in October 1996 to the AOL/Time Warner Merger in January 2001.

• Founder, Chairman of the Board and President, TBS – 1970 to 1996.

• Director of the Company since January 2001. Previously, Director of Time Warner from October 1996 to the AOL/Time Warner Merger in January 2001.

• Affiliated Director.

Your theory would be correct if you can show that CNN would air an ad that they believed presented a person they favored in a very unfavorable light, true or not. CNN, for instance, I do not believe aired any Swift Boat ads. I can almost assure you they were asked for air time for these.

galenrox said:
I completely agree that the ad was bullshit, as far as I could tell. But you're losing track of the fact that it's a ****ing ad. I don't think of NBC as being pro e-trade, even though they run the ads.

And let's not forget that ads are meant to sell a product, and if the product doesn't cut the mustard, then they have to use tactics that are misleading. If you look through the Fox News sponsors, I'll bet you find quite a few of them are misleading, but you probably wouldn't give a ****, cause it's a ****ing AD!

I disagree. If the product doesn’t cut the mustard, you cut its production and make a new product or improve the old product. The fact that producers are misleading about a product at times doesn’t remove the responsibility the network has to refuse to air blatantly and obviously false advertisements does it?

Had CNN simply dropped the ball and failed to screen the add, that would be a totally separate issue. The fact that CNN refused to pull the add after it was so clearly made aware of the insidious mistruths therein shows that CNN doesn’t have a very high standard for screening its advertisements.

galenrox said:
CNN has no responsibility to screen its advertisers, Fox News chooses to because they ARE biased, and thus they see ads promoting an opposing ideology as bad for business, and are thus making a strictly financial decision.
Quite the opposite galenrox; CNN does have a responsibility to screen its advertisements and it does exactly that every day. To say otherwise is to be ignorant of the facts. CNN has refused to run many political and religious adds in the past for the same reasons they should have refused to run this one.

Like I said, if they had simply failed to give the advertisement a close look and it just slipped through the cracks and they had pulled it upon realizing they missed one, I’d have respect for them. The fact that they defended the add and refused to pull it shows what a biased media outlet they are and how little respect they have for their viewers or their claim to be the most trusted name in news.

The reality is that they all make financial decisions. Viewers don’t want to be lied to, even during commercial breaks. CNN knows this and usually refuses to run adds that are blatantly false.

Last edited:
On this day, Sunday August 21, 2005, I am currently watching a CNN special on the events that led to war with Iraq and they are kicking George Bush's ass. There is a God after all. Bless CNN.

Notice to all you neo's, get used to this! More is on the way from the media.

Billo_Really said:
On this day, Sunday August 21, 2005, I am currently watching a CNN special on the events that led to war with Iraq and they are kicking George Bush's ass. There is a God after all. Bless CNN.

Notice to all you neo's, get used to this! More is on the way from the media.

Get used to it...? Everybody IS used to it!

Yes, you are quite correct, & for many the gods are CNN, & other liberal news networks posing as being independent from any political persuasion.;)

If the democratic party did not have these little helpers, ..& arbiters of what they call truth, the whole democratic party would not be calling Bush a liar, a murderer, a nazi, & creator of 9/11 etc.

Since the DNC cannot win very many elections anymore, it feels that it "must" somehow try to destroy a presidency to bring "relevency" back to its party base.

The only thing that is relevent with the modern democratic party, & the major news networks these days is: blaming America first, importing the love of multiculturalism, inventing endless ''rights" issues, (even for our terror adversaries??) self condemnation, & self flagellation, justifying terror behavior as equating the enemy as having real grievances, & accusing the American military of deliberatley targetting Iraqi unarmed citizens, ..& last but the least in "trying" to find something to charge Bush with , & to help make it stick to bring down his presidency!

The whacko fruits, & nuts liberals call that behavior, "Freedom of expression". The real mainstream MAJORITY of americans call that, "giving aid & comfort to the enemy"!

Once again proving that the modern democratic party cares more about the health of their own party success than they do about the security of the United States; ..but that is NO secret. ;)

AlbqOwl said:
Your theory would be correct if you can show that CNN would air an ad that they believed presented a person they favored in a very unfavorable light, true or not. CNN, for instance, I do not believe aired any Swift Boat ads. I can almost assure you they were asked for air time for these.

CNN absolutely aired the Swift Boat ads. The first time I saw it was on CNN. They also ran most, if not all, of George Bush's and John Kerry's campaign ads and ads for local democratic and republican candidates.

zk655 said:
CNN absolutely aired the Swift Boat ads. The first time I saw it was on CNN. They also ran most, if not all, of George Bush's and John Kerry's campaign ads and ads for local democratic and republican candidates.

Well by law they have to run the campaign ads. And okay, if you say they ran the Swift Boat ads, I won't dispute it. (I didn't see any on CNN but then I don't watch 24/7 either.) CNN did run a lot of commentary and featured lots of talking heads attempting to debunk the Swift Boat vets, and I didn't see any effort on CNN to give the Swift Boat vets a voice or any credibility.

Fox News who gives both sides of every story however, has been kicking CNN's butt so badly in the rating that CNN has no doubt included a bit more balance lately just to compete. Before FNN established itself however, CNN was affectionately known as the Clinton News Network to dedicated media watchers. To this day, CNN anchors cannot bring themselves to say much that is positive about GWB and when they do, they stick in something negative to blunt the effect. (Yes I know the anchors don't write most of what they feature, but the news nevertheless closely reflects their politics.)

I am really just getting sick of the liberals. Everytime a Republican win or gets an important government positon the whine and complain. Why can't they just except the fact they loss and move on.

Katrina's victims, "so poor, & so black"?

Everybody is suffering in New orleans, & elsewhere in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina; ...but CNN is there to help exploit the ravages by suggesting that the help which has been slow in coming just might be because the majority of victims are; "so poor, & so black!"

Leave it to good old Wolf Blitzer, & Jack Cafferty to soil the reporting by suggesting such an outrageous assumption of race being a factor.

Did those knuckleheads even mention the fact that New Orleans is PREDOMINATLEY populated by black American's; do those race baiting idiots know of every effort that is being carried out to secure, & do the best job they can in searching, & rescuing those who are trapped in their homes first?

Despicable news slant, ...& as usual will stoop to any level necessary to help climb itself out of the lower basement in news ratings.

Its always the same message from the liberal biased news sources, .."whites are evil, & blacks are always their victims"!

Pathetic, & shame to Blitzer & Cafferty!

[Moderator mode]

The "katrina" thread is a subset of the larger accusatory "CNN" thread, so I've merged them...

[Moderator mode]

Back
Top Bottom