• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN sues Trump and White House Aides for banning Jim Acosta

Show us where the president has hit someone.
I would like for you to post it.

Acosta got his press badge pulled because he shoved an intern.

He didn't shove an intern. Trump doesn't hit people, he just offers to pay the legal fees of people who his those who oppose him.

Try to sell that lie all you want, but we all saw the video.

Of course it wouldn't be a good reason, but persistent disrespect and hostility, lack of professionalism and total abandonment of news reporting certainly is.

Jim Acosta has never asked any question that people in general weren't asking themselves. He has always been appropriated respectful even when people are shouting in his face, making the 'cut your neck' sign to him and giving him the middle finger right there in his face at Trump rallies. The bottom line, and it's obvious from the treatment of other reporters not only CNN, that if Trump doesn't like their question he'll call them 'stupid' or say it's 'disrespectful'. That's the job of a free press, to ask the questions that are pertinent to democracy and banning a reporter because he doesn't like the reporter personally or doesn't like the question is in clear violation of the Constitution.

The White House has just responded to CNN's lawsuit, the statement is as follows:

"We have been advised that CNN has filed a complaint challenging the suspension of Jim Acosta's hard pass. This is just more grandstanding from CNN, and we will vigorously defend against the lawsuit."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/08/media-jim-acosta-press-pass-978293

White House correspondents and media outlets widely view the Trump administration’s decision to pull CNN reporter Jim Acosta’s press pass as an assault on the free press.

They also agree that it’s a trap.

And it's one particularly well set by a president seeking to escalate his feud with the media — and fully aware that the reporter he’s sprung it on, Acosta, has a showy, aggressive style that is divisive among his peers.

What’s not clear is what the White House press corps will do in response. Some on Twitter have called for a mass walkout or some other protest at the next media event, while Washington Post columnist Margaret Sullivan wrote Thursday that CNN should sue the White House. But many reporters fear that such bold action would only give President Donald Trump the fight with the press that he and his base crave.

Jim Acosta getting the president's goat is not a compelling reason for a ban.
Good thing that wasn't the reason for the ban.

He never 'hit her' that's a bold-faced LIE. She is the one that invaded his personal space and that's not acceptable. Charging at him trying to grab it out of his hands was wrong. Those interns knew ahead of that press conference that Trump was ready for a fight with the press and one was overheard saying to another "this is going to be fun."

For what? For being investigated in connection with leaks of classified information? Something else?

The AP sued the Obama administration. I don't know about Rosen.

There was much ground to complain against the Obama administration, and legal cases were made.

I don't know how the cases turned out.

Do you have specific details to refresh us with?

The Obama administration seized two months of telephone records of reporters and editors at the Associated Press.

The Justice Department spied extensively on James Rosen, collecting his telephone records, tracking his movements in and out of the State Department and seizing two days of Rosen’s personal emails.

No, Rosen did not sue and I believe that was the thrust of the original post by Acadia.

Except he didn't do that.

And he wasn't the only one that day who resisted when the intern tried to grapple the microphone away from them. But Trump singled him out.
If they want to play that idiotic game, then technically the intern assaulted him by invading his personal space & initiating physical contact.

If this were reversed, and it was Hannity or Carlson at a Dem rally, the Trumpers would be claiming he should have exercised his 2A rights! And they'd be serious! Such total B.S.

Him shoving an intern is.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/kellyanne-conway-says-jim-acosta-video-was-sped-not-doctored-n935196

The video shared by White House press secretary Sarah Sanders of CNN's Jim Acosta at a White House news conference — and used to justify the revocation of Acosta's press credentials — was sped up, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said on Sunday.

Conway disagreed with claims that the video had been "doctored," however.

“That’s not altered, that’s sped up,”
Conway told "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace on Sunday. “They do it all the time in sports to see if there’s actually a first down or a touchdown. So I have to disagree with the, I think, overall description of this video being doctored as if we put somebody else’s arm in there.”

The real question was what was the motivation for 'speeding' up just this frame of the video? Kellyanne Conway has outdone herself by the 'alternate facts' statement, it's replaced with 'It's been sped up not altered'.

The Obama administration seized two months of telephone records of reporters and editors at the Associated Press.

The Justice Department spied extensively on James Rosen, collecting his telephone records, tracking his movements in and out of the State Department and seizing two days of Rosen’s personal emails.

No, Rosen did not sue and I believe that was the thrust of the original post by Acadia.

Thanks. It is apples and oranges. Both serious, but in different ways. The Obama administration was investigating criminal activity. I don't know what warrants they had. BUT the Obama administration WAS sued for at least some of its handling of the press.

In a case which is a more obvious parallel, the Obama administration received much criticism, including backlash from the MSM when it banned Fox from the White House, a decision it quickly reversed. I can't remember the exact nature of the ban. It was a long time ago and google isn't making it easy to get a reminder. But the MSM rallied for Fox, and the White House backed down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/kellyanne-conway-says-jim-acosta-video-was-sped-not-doctored-n935196

The video shared by White House press secretary Sarah Sanders of CNN's Jim Acosta at a White House news conference — and used to justify the revocation of Acosta's press credentials — was sped up, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said on Sunday.

Conway disagreed with claims that the video had been "doctored," however.

“That’s not altered, that’s sped up,”
Conway told "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace on Sunday. “They do it all the time in sports to see if there’s actually a first down or a touchdown. So I have to disagree with the, I think, overall description of this video being doctored as if we put somebody else’s arm in there.”

The real question was what was the motivation for 'speeding' up just this frame of the video? Kellyanne Conway has outdone herself by the 'alternate facts' statement, it's replaced with 'It's been sped up not altered'.

They're the same...lol

I don't see much difference. It's not a hit either way.

But the White House has admitted editing it ... part of their incredible string of stupidity. Editing goes to consciousness of guilt on the part of the White House.

Persistent disrespect, hostility, and lack of professionalism defines the Trump administration to a T.

And your post describes deflection to a "T".

Perhaps he could have sued, but Obama didn't strip him of his Press Credentials, which is what Trump has done here.

That's Trump! :doh

Actually, I was referring primarily to Sarah Sanders and the WH press pool who actually adhere to journalistic standards and get upstaged at every single event Acosta is at due to his bloated sense of self importance and grandstanding. Everything about Acosta is his personal agenda.

I'm betting there are many reporters who are relieved to get a reprieve from Acosta sucking all the air out of the room every single time he shows up to make the event "The Jim Show".

Acosta used his left arm to block the interns THIRD ATTEMPT to retrieve the microphone. Stop with the "but he didn't hit her". No kidding he didn't "hit" her. He used is comparatively formidable size to overpower the young woman and disregard her.
He should have handed the mic over the first time.

Thank you.
Let us know when Trump exercises the Espionage Act on Acosta.

Actually, I was referring primarily to Sarah Sanders and the WH press pool who actually adhere to journalistic standards and get upstaged at every single event Acosta is at due to his bloated sense of self importance and grandstanding. Everything about Acosta is his personal agenda.

I'm betting there are many reporters who are relieved to get a reprieve from Acosta sucking all the air out of the room every single time he shows up to make the event "The Jim Show".
I wasn't happy with Acosta there either, to be honest. But Trump's even worse. And Sarah constantly lies and evades. So, I have no problem with the press holding their feet to the fire; that's their job to call the administration out.

But you are right, in that the specific press conference in question was civil, until Acosta went over-the-top ballistic. He could have been forceful, yet civil, calmly holding his ground. Instead, he was attacking unnecessarily.

Acosta used his left arm to block the interns THIRD ATTEMPT to retrieve the microphone. Stop with the "but he didn't hit her". No kidding he didn't "hit" her. He used is comparatively formidable size to overpower the young woman and disregard her.
He should have handed the mic over the first time.

The White House has abandoned the assault narrative.

CNN is in the process of suing Donald Trump and several White House aides, Sarah Sanders being one, and others claiming their First and Fifth Amendment are being violated.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/media/cnn-sues-trump/index.html

CNN sues President Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta

New York (CNN)CNN has filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House.
The lawsuit is a response to the White House's suspension of Acosta's press pass, known as a Secret Service "hard pass," last week. The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN's First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday morning.
Both CNN and Acosta are plaintiffs in the lawsuit. There are six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and the Secret Service officer who took Acosta's hard pass away last Wednesday. The officer is identified as John Doe in the suit, pending his identification.

The six defendants are all named because of their roles in enforcing and announcing Acosta's suspension.

It was directly b/c baby Trump doesn't want to answer his tough questions. More of the media should take note of Acosta's questioning b/c this is how you expose him.

CNN is in the process of suing Donald Trump and several White House aides, Sarah Sanders being one, and others claiming their First and Fifth Amendment are being violated.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/media/cnn-sues-trump/index.html

CNN sues President Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta

New York (CNN)CNN has filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House.
The lawsuit is a response to the White House's suspension of Acosta's press pass, known as a Secret Service "hard pass," last week. The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN's First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday morning.
Both CNN and Acosta are plaintiffs in the lawsuit. There are six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and the Secret Service officer who took Acosta's hard pass away last Wednesday. The officer is identified as John Doe in the suit, pending his identification.

The six defendants are all named because of their roles in enforcing and announcing Acosta's suspension.

I finally got around to reading all the details at the link.

While it does seem that Trump would relish a fight with CNN and Acosta, legally it looks like a losing battle. All sorts of official guidelines and precedents trampled in the removal of Acosta's press pass. And Trump has threatened more removals without even the flimsy thread of justification they're trying to claim with the physical contact between Acosta and the intern.

If everyone at CNN is being denied a pass then I hope CNN wins. If CNN is allowed to send another reporter and its just the prick Acosta that's being denied credentials I hope the White House wins

Brian Karem who writes for Playboy is always there on the edge with his own questions. He once loudly confronted Sarah Sanders at a White House press conference as she was angrily debasing and denigrating the press. He stood up and shouted back at her, obviously angry.

This exchange happened at the same press conference with Trump last week that got Jim Acosta banned.

Brian Karem, "The real question is, you just stood up here and said.... are you offering a 'my way or highway' scenario to the democrats... you're saying that if they start investigating you, that you can play that game, investigate them... can you compartmentalize that and still continue to work with them for the benefit of the country, or are all bets off?"

Trump, "no, if they do that, then it's just ..... all it is, is just a warlike posture."

202024d7-3851-409a-bb06-c4e437873273.png

I finally got around to reading all the details at the link.

While it does seem that Trump would relish a fight with CNN and Acosta, legally it looks like a losing battle. All sorts of official guidelines and precedents trampled in the removal of Acosta's press pass. And Trump has threatened more removals without even the flimsy thread of justification they're trying to claim with the physical contact between Acosta and the intern.

The other day, someone pointed out something that I missed somehow. They made the point that Trump always need a foil or adversary. It's not Kim Jong un or Vladimir Putin. It's either the press, the people in his administration, the democrats, or certain individuals like Maxine or Nancy. No matter who it is, he needs that confrontation. His show The Apprentice was all that, wasn't it? It was all about pitting one against the other, adversaries and a winner and a loser. That's how his inner self operates, it's in conflict or bringing conflict. He will never be in a place of peace within himself. There will never be a day that he has the feeling that 'all is right'. That intense need for confrontation and conflict is what motives him in everything he does. From the fires in California to his lack of appearance honoring the dead from WW1. He made California the foil with the fires and made the weather the foil in Paris.

He's a very unstable person, but we knew that. We all worried in the beginning about national security because he gets those briefs every morning from different intelligence agencies to make him aware of what's going on in the world. So we thought, 'omg! he's going to give away our secrets!!' But our agencies know better than to give him that much information. Trump was going to be given toy cards and toy reports, kiddie ones. Yes, he is briefed with little toy briefs with child-like big fonts, with shiny pictures in little cards he can just look at and discard. He is not given entire folders that take him two hours to go through like Obama did every morning.

Last edited:
If everyone at CNN is being denied a pass then I hope CNN wins. If CNN is allowed to send another reporter and its just the prick Acosta that's being denied credentials I hope the White House wins

If the White House is allowed to pick and choose which reporters news outlets send to cover them, that can go wrong in so many ways. I don't see how it is ruled constitutional, even by SCOTUS as it is now constituted.

It would be an interesting case.

So Trump lied, stating that he wouldn't kick out reporters and then did. Which isn't too much of a surprise. But there is already precedent for this as well, and that seems to go with CNN.

Funny, you used to believe in the Constitution, before you went bat-**** left. Please explain how in the Constitution or anywhere else there is a mandatory requirement to give Jim Acosta a press pass. You act as though the press is untouchable. Acosta can still print his news, he just can't come to the WH pressers. CNN is welcome to send someone else, so they're rights aren't touched. CNN can actually stop Acosta from printing articles for them, are they violating his freedoms? Good luck making a case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom