• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN sues Trump administration, seeking restoration of Jim Acosta's 'hard' press pass

The case being cited involved a journalist who was denied White House credentials. Acosta’s were revoked for bad behavior in the gallery so I have doubts about how useful that case will prove to be here.

We will certainly see. I don't know if aggressive questioning should be considered bad behavior, particularly given how the President himself behaves. Though more likely than not, this is something Trump wants. It's fuels his war against the press and changes headlines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...y-exchange-with-trump/?utm_term=.3d66fed7791b
Video evidence says otherwise.

Not only did he do it once he did it twice.
when she tried to take the mic again from him.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1062371518649393152

The White House has dropped the claim that Acosta "put his hands on her." It's now "he refused to sacrifice microphone to an intern." The White House apparently believes that the assault angle is a non-winner and hoping that simply not ceding the microphone will be enough.

Even slimeballs have constitutional rights. Abridging his would have a chilling effect on the other reporters, which is probably a part of Trump's motivation. He wants a nice compliant press. Not a free press.

What constitutional right are you speaking of?

Acosta can still report. No one is muffling him.

CNN isn't banned. They can send someone else just as obnoxious.

We will certainly see. I don't know if aggressive questioning should be considered bad behavior, particularly given how the President himself behaves. Though more likely than not, this is something Trump wants. It's fuels his war against the press and changes headlines.

Well, it’s worth noting that the case didn’t end in a decision requiring Sherrill be granted credentials. In fact, it doesn’t mandate any outcome at all - only a process whereby the White House has published standards and the journalist is notified in writing of the decision with an opportunity for rebuttal.

Precedence aside--which, as noted in my post above, does not favor the president at all--it could be argued that suspending or banning Acosta is a shot across the bow warning other reporters to not ask tough questions. And, that would clearly be unconstitutional.

Yeah, after seeing your citation I was softer on it for sure.
I mean, if they have to argue Acosta is a threat to the POTUS, that seems like a mountain too high to climb

Well, it’s worth noting that the case didn’t end in a decision requiring Sherrill be granted credentials. In fact, it doesn’t mandate any outcome at all - only a process whereby the White House has published standards and the journalist is notified in writing of the decision with an opportunity for rebuttal.

And it certainly restricted the reasons as to why one could be denied. I'm not sure that aggressive questioning is part of that narrow and restricted definition. We will see how this turns out in the end.

Thanks for the linc:
And the White House has gone beyond words, reports CBS News senior political correspondent Jeff Greenfield. Last Sept. 20, the president went on every Sunday news show - except Chris Wallace's show on FOX. And on Thursday, the Treasury Department tried to exclude FOX News from pool coverage of interviews with a key official. It backed down after strong protests from the press.

"All the networks said, that's it, you've crossed the line," said CBS News White House correspondent Chip Reid.

Obama pushed and the press pushed back. Obama backed down. He didn't ban anyone that's as far as it went. He didn't go on any crusade against FOX or call them the enemy of the people.

It seems like with every case like this, the lefties take their orders from the 1984 play book.

Acosta was removed for making physical contact with a staffer, and the lefties try to change reality by repeating over and over again that he was removed for asking tough questions.

Even you say it a lot, nobody is going to believe it.

It is so illustrative of the left's tactics. Acosta refuses to give up the mic, to the point that he turns his body to shield it from the staffer, and puts his arm down on her inner elbow to stop her from getting it. Now, unless it's normal for the press to fight off a staffer in the press room, that's grounds for him to be removed. And then that is the reason they give for revoking his pass.

Of course, this is ignored by the left, and they just keep repeating that he was banned for asking tough questions, which is an absolute joke. That is even happening in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom