• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN+ struggles to lure viewers in its early days, drawing fewer than 10,000 daily users

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Fewer than 10,000 people are using CNN+ on a daily basis two weeks into its existence, sources said.
The paltry audience casts doubt on the future of the application following the recently completed combination of Discovery and WarnerMedia into Warner Bros. Discovery.
Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav hasn’t commented publicly on CNN+’s long-term future. He told CNBC in February he’d need to see how the application performed before deciding on any next moves.

--

Quite honestly, this (CNN+) may have the makings of a dismal failure.

With such a premier hot property as Chris Wallace, why waste him at CNN+? He would seem to be a much needed draw on the Cable Network Channel, no?

From the get-go, I was against putting Wallace at CNN+. His independent-thinking stance would be excellent at the cable channel.

--

With such a premier hot property as Chris Wallace, why waste him at CNN+? He would seem to be a much needed draw on the Cable Network Channel, no?

From the get-go, I was against putting Wallace at CNN+. His independent-thinking stance would be excellent at the cable channel.

Young people don't watch much CNN.
Not many liberals or leftists watch CNN.
The model of 24/7 information works better on the Right.

Well, the audience for 24/7 is split among the liberals. You have more liberal cable companies than the one conservative cable news, so the audience is diluted

I was thinking the above myself, which is why I suppose they put Wallace on the app.

Even with the app, CNN is still seen by youth as old & stodgy. An app won't change that.

For those of us who appreciate both a Liberal perspective and CTV, MSNBC seems to be the only game in town!

This can't help either....
1649795867299.png

Even searching for CNN+ doesn't make it come up because google searches for CNN instead. Oops, lol.

Their idiot commentators can barely muster up a few million viewers, so what makes them think they can succeed with this?

Well, the audience for 24/7 is split among the liberals. You have more liberal cable companies than the one conservative cable news, so the audience is diluted

I don't see many Liberal Cable News outlets. In fact, MSNBC is the only one I'm aware of. CNN is a bit Left of Center, but I wouldn't necessarily call them solidly Liberal or Progressive.

I don't see many Liberal Cable News outlets. In fact, MSNBC is the only one I'm aware of. CNN is a bit Left of Center, but I wouldn't necessarily call them solidly Liberal or Progressive.
It will be interesting to see where CNN goes from here, now that it is owned by Warner brothers discovery , rather than AT&T

I have always suspected that the network put Chris Wallace on CNN+ only until a prime-time position becomes available.

I'm one of those freaks who constantly switches channels to try to get a general idea of what is going on. And I agree with Chomsky--MSNBC seems to appeal to younger viewers. Something about it seems more "cool," but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe there's a poll out there that will explain it.

It will be interesting to see where CNN goes from here, now that it is owned by Warner brothers discovery , rather than AT&T

I read an article claiming CNN+'s intent may be to get bundled with other streaming services, which does make sense. After all, that's how CNN's cable channel seems to be distributed.

Here's a pretty good article describing the situation and pro's & con's:

Another thing to remember is that there are a ton of streaming services available now. Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount, HBOMax, AppleTV...

CNN+ might have done better if it had launched 5-10 years ago.

I have always suspected that the network put Chris Wallace on CNN+ only until a prime-time position becomes available.

I'm one of those freaks who constantly switches channels to try to get a general idea of what is going on. And I agree with Chomsky--MSNBC seems to appeal to younger viewers. Something about it seems more "cool," but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe there's a poll out there that will explain it.

I suspect that may be because MSNBC is unabashedly Liberal.

Another thing to remember is that there are a ton of streaming services available now. Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount, HBOMax, AppleTV...

CNN+ might have done better if it had launched 5-10 years ago.

True.

But I'm not sure I see CNN+ successful as a stand-alone app.

Now bundling might be a different thing, as argued below:

There was a 50% off for life offer for a while. Not the offering of a successful endeavor.

Sure. Young Wokeists love those race-baiting idiots MSNBC employs.
I find the term 'wokeists' when used as a pejorative to be highly racist.

CNN+ is the equivalent of Fox Nation. I don't understand why anyone would pay for opinionated news when you can get tons of it free.

Chris Wallace is definitely good, though i think CNN suffers from the same thing other news networks suffer from, their constant need for views and eyes glued to the screen. Its so bad they will bothsides everything and constantly focus on every single drumpf outrage.

Their idiot commentators can barely muster up a few million viewers, so what makes them think they can succeed with this?
Not everything needs to be like sports :/

--

No one appears to be willing to pay for what CNN+ is presenting?
Let the marketplace decide.

Would seem that the plug is going to be pulled on this pretty soon, thank goodness. No need for yet more CNN political biased political activism content.
Their cable channel is already more than sufficient.

Chris Wallace is definitely good, though i think CNN suffers from the same thing other news networks suffer from, their constant need for views and eyes glued to the screen. Its so bad they will bothsides everything and constantly focus on every single drumpf outrage.
Wallace is too good for CNN. He should go to PBS or NPR.

Back
Top Bottom