• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN: some of the Kenya mall attackers are from the US

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
At least three of the attackers responsible for a reign of terror on an upscale Kenyan mall, killing at least 68, are from the United States, CNN reports.

CNN’s Sara Pratley, senior director of coverage at the news network, broke the news on Twitter Sunday afternoon. CNN also reported the news on television.

If this proves to be so, this could be a major problem.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/22/world/africa/kenya-mall-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Last edited:
At least three of the attackers responsible for a reign of terror on an upscale Kenyan mall, killing at least 68, are from the United States, CNN reports.

CNN’s Sara Pratley, senior director of coverage at the news network, broke the news on Twitter Sunday afternoon. CNN also reported the news on television.

Kenya mall attack: Death toll rises to 68 - CNN.com

I don't see why this would make it any more of a problem than it already is.

"From" as in born here, or "from" as in "have US citizenship". If the latter, not as big a deal as the former, quite.

Can't wait for the United States to take justice into their own hands somehow. Nothing like the big O acting as the judge and executioner whenever he feels like it.

"From" as in born here, or "from" as in "have US citizenship". If the latter, not as big a deal as the former, quite.

I don't see why that distinction would matter either.

Having native-born Americans committing terrorist acts on foreign soil could prove somewhat problematic for the State Department.

For whom? Idiots who try to attribute responsibility for individuals' actions to an entire nation?

Born here means they are actual Americans, who grew up in our culture and society and under our laws, who nonetheless decided to go to Africa, take up an extremist cause, and commit mass murder of innocent citizens of another country. That's bad.

"Possess US citizenship" may mean they grew up in a different culture or nation and that their ties to the USA are more tenuous than native-born-and-raised.

I suppose one could argue the difference is subtle, but I think it is significant.

Because they can't run for President?

Kenya mall attack: Death toll rises to 68 - CNN.com

CNN has gotten so much wrong so many times they have lost all creditability so it is best to wait for some news organization with a little more creditably than them like the National Enquirer

Born here means they are actual Americans, who grew up in our culture and society and under our laws, who nonetheless decided to go to Africa, take up an extremist cause, and commit mass murder of innocent citizens of another country. That's bad.

"Possess US citizenship" may mean they grew up in a different culture or nation and that their ties to the USA are more tenuous than native-born-and-raised.

I suppose one could argue the difference is subtle, but I think it is significant.

Homegrown terrorists are nothing new. American culture is as varied as it is vast. We produce violent extremist nutjobs just as all countries do. That fact doesn't speak to our culture as a whole.

Maybe al-shababb needed the gunmen to be foreign in order to carry out the shopping mall shooting?

Homegrown terrorists are nothing new. American culture is as varied as it is vast. We produce violent extremist nutjobs just as all countries do. That fact doesn't speak to our culture as a whole.

Yes, but our violent nutjobs typically go postal in our country, not abroad.

Interesting phrasing.

:roll:

There is a difference between someone raised in our culture and someone who wasn't. Obviously. Make of that what you will, I care not.

What difference does that make?

Imo, it's a huge difference. It's the difference between a home-grown terrorist killing Americans, and being tried in our courts of law, and justice being served in whichever way is decided by our legal system. Our producing terrorists who go abroad and commit terroristic actions against innocents in other countries will be handled however that country handles terrorists. That in and of itself doesn't bother me, but it sure as hell bothers me if Americans are now becoming international jihadists.

Imo, it's a huge difference. It's the difference between a home-grown terrorist killing Americans, and being tried in our courts of law, and justice being served in whichever way is decided by our legal system. Our producing terrorists who go abroad and commit terroristic actions against innocents in other countries will be handled however that country handles terrorists. That in and of itself doesn't bother me, but it sure as hell bothers me if Americans are now becoming international jihadists.

I think al-shababb needs their terrorists to identified as foreigners baca use they will be in trouble if somoliis commited the terror attack in the mall

Having native-born Americans committing terrorist acts on foreign soil could prove somewhat problematic for the State Department.

What I'm trying to say.

For whom? Idiots who try to attribute responsibility for individuals' actions to an entire nation?

For the NSA that we're all forfeiting our fourth for so they can prevent such acts.

For the NSA that we're all forfeiting our fourth for so they can prevent such acts.

No one knows for certain if the terrorists were American. But if they are actually Somalian, then the terrorist orginization al-shababb is showing how desperate it is.

Yes, but our violent nutjobs typically go postal in our country, not abroad.

Actually, there are quite a few born-in-America Muslims/Muslim converts who have gone to fight with Islamists overseas. Several of them rose to very high ranks in Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda-linked organizations, and IIRC at least two are still on the CIA's most wanted list.

No one knows for certain if the terrorists were American. But if they are actually Somalian, then the terrorist orginization al-shababb is showing how desperate it is.

Sure, we are just supposing at this point that CNN is right that they are and what that might mean.

Actually, there are quite a few born-in-America Muslims/Muslim converts who have gone to fight with Islamists overseas. Several of them rose to very high ranks in Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda-linked organizations, and IIRC at least two are still on the CIA's most wanted list.

Well, I guess it's just me, but this incident seems different. Perhaps it's the setting, and not the players, but I find it very disturbing.

Our legal system currently offers no framework to deal with US citizens who go abroad to commit acts of terror (or I should say no reasonable framework). This isn't the first time we've had to deal with such a case. So far we've treated them as the terrorists they are and exterminated with extreme prejudice. Personally, I'm fine with that approach and drone striking these ****ers, but it's probably time we actually developed a system for dealing with such cases that's codified in law.

Back
Top Bottom