• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN Poll: Those who say things going poorly higher than 1994 or 2006

Heavy Duty

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Washington (CNN) -- The number of Americans who say things are going badly in the country, at 75 percent, is higher than it has been on the eve of any midterm election since the question was first asked in the mid-1970s, according to a new national poll.A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday also indicates that the economy remains, by far, the top issue on the minds of Americans. Fifty-two percent of people questioned say the economy's the most important issue facing the country.

"That's more than the deficit, education, health care, terrorism, energy, illegal immigration and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq combined," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "No other issue was named as the country's top problem by more than 8 percent."

The economy has been the issue most on the mind of Americans in CNN polling since the end of 2007.

The top concern remains unemployment, with 58 percent saying it's the most important economic issue facing the country today, followed by the deficit at 20 percent, and taxes and mortgages tied at 8 percent each.

CNN Poll: Those who say things going poorly higher than 1994 or 2006 - CNN.com

When liberal CNN starts singing its over for the dems.

Its lining up to be a huge landslide.

Remember liberals, "YES WE CAN" "HOPE" for "CHANGE"!

Last edited by a moderator:
This just in: People think things are worse during recessions. Experts also conclude that water is still wet.

I see you will be one of the people crying tomorrow?

You reap what you sow.

BTW, Just in, the American people have realized what a huge mistake they made, then corrected it.

I see you will be one of the people crying tomorrow?

You reap what you sow.

BTW, Just in, the American people have realized what a huge mistake they made, then corrected it.

No I have a great job with excellent potential, great job security, and plenty of skills to build future carreers on. Trust me, I will be the last person crying.

Also, the American people aren't doing anything as a whole. Don't act like the normal swings in politics are national movements or permenant changes. Several House seats and a few Senate seats is hardly a national movement. And remember 1996? The Reps won the Congress in 1994 but lost the 96' election for President, it CAN happen.:shock:

No I have a great job with excellent potential, great job security, and plenty of skills to build future carreers on. Trust me, I will be the last person crying.

Also, the American people aren't doing anything as a whole. Don't act like the normal swings in politics are national movements or permenant changes. Several House seats and a few Senate seats is hardly a national movement. And remember 1996? The Reps won the Congress in 1994 but lost the 96' election for President, it CAN happen.:shock:

So you call as many as 70 seats changing from one side to another as a national movement? Wish I could live in a rose colored world. I guess it doesnt take the nation as a whole to cause such "CHANGE".

So you call as many as 70 seats changing from one side to another as a national movement? Wish I could live in a rose colored world. I guess it doesnt take the nation as a whole to cause such "CHANGE".

What are you getting at? All I'm attempting to point out is that even if the Reps pick up 70 seats in the House thats 248 Reps and 185 Dems. 185 is still a substantial part of the House. AND 248 would only be 57% of the Congress, I hardly call 57% a national movement nor would I say that its the result of the "American People" the way you imply it to be a whole and united force, standing up for one singular thing. If the American People were truly united against the Dems as Reps suggest there would be a much larger change.

So, again, no **** do people think things are going poorly in a recession and this current Anti-Dem feeling isn't something represented or the result of vast American feelings.

I dont get why Republicans are getting cocky about something that virtually always happens when there's no indication it'll be any more in their favor than it almost always is anyways.

The ousted party virtually ALWAYS does very well in elections directly following a Presidential election.

This seems like getting cocky because you predicted the sun to shine.

This just in: People think things are worse during recessions. Experts also conclude that water is still wet.

Experts concluded and Obama announced that the recession was over. Recovery is better than recession...

Experts concluded and Obama announced that the recession was over. Recovery is better than recession...

Source?

What I think you're thinking of is the announcement by the National Bureau of Economic Research that the recession ended in 2009. However the NBER is a non-government non-profit think tank and isn't controlled nor does it represent the President.

This also just in: Spending $1 trillion that we don't have makes recessions FAR worse and longer lasting. And experts still agree that water is still wet.

I dont get why Republicans are getting cocky about something that virtually always happens

ownership of the house has changed hands 3 times in just under 60 years

from 1954 to 94 it was dem, from 94 to 06 republican

in 1938, reds picked up 71 seats, in 94 newt nabbed 54

a pickup of 60, should it happen, and a change in control is really rather rare

Source?

What I think you're thinking of is the announcement by the National Bureau of Economic Research that the recession ended in 2009. However the NBER is a non-government non-profit think tank and isn't controlled nor does it represent the President.
The NBER is considered the "official arbiter of economic contractions and expansions."

Recession has been over for a while. We're in a period of (very slow) recovery.

This also just in: Spending $1 trillion that we don't have makes recessions FAR worse and longer lasting. And experts still agree that water is still wet.

Ya thats not the topic.

from 1954 to 94 it was dem, from 94 to 06 republican

in 1938, reds picked up 71 seats, in 94 newt nabbed 54

a pickup of 60, should it happen, and a change in control is really rather rare
Regardless if actual control changes, it's almost as inevitable as the ****ing tides that the outed party tends to clean up post-presidential election. It's happened in every first mid-term election since the Civil War except for two distinct occasions IIRC.

Very true. Remember when the Dems took the house in 2006? There was all that talk about how the mighty "pendulum" had swung to the left, "the end of the Reagan revolution," and all that. I'm sure most dems assumed it would take a lot longer than 2 terms to swing back to the right.

Four years also makes for the quickest turnaround in almost 60 years. In 1955, there was a brief, 2-year stint of Republican control coinciding with the election of Eisenhower.

CNN Poll: Those who say things going poorly higher than 1994 or 2006 - CNN.com

When liberal CNN starts singing its over for the dems.

Its lining up to be a huge landslide.

Remember liberals, "YES WE CAN" "HOPE" for "CHANGE"!

It is so amazing that people want to defend Obama and blame everyone else and if anyone opposes Obama it's because of race or personal hate.

Liberals can't face the facts or truth and they prove it every day here with the attempts at divert attention away from issues they don't understand or the go right for the name calling. Because they lack that ability they never stop to think the reason for our outrage is Obama and the Liberal Anti-American plans, policies, and legislative agenda.

People see things as going bad because they are and the Liberals have been playing into the hands of Obama who unworthy of any ones trust.

I love it.. I predicted 75 seats changing hands, and 9 in the senate. I stand behind that. :)

Go America! :)

Tim-

they lack that ability they never stop to think the reason for our outrage is Obama and the Liberal Anti-American plans

ZE anti-amerikan PLANZ!

tinfoil_db52b2f10e7fa983f0f9d799a20.jpg

Regardless if actual control changes, it's almost as inevitable as the ****ing tides that the outed party tends to clean up post-presidential election. It's happened in every first mid-term election since the Civil War except for two distinct occasions IIRC.
1) I think I can name at least three (Bush, FDR, Johnson), so the last part is wrong.

2) What do you mean by "outed part tends to clean up"? Since FDR, the outed party has received an average of about 14 seats in the first mid-term election... only two Presidents (Clinton, Truman) experienced the sort of huge loss expected for Obama.

I love it.. I predicted 75 seats changing hands, and 9 in the senate. I stand behind that. :)
I read that and thought to myself "crazy talk!" -- but looking at the final RCP #'s, it's feasible. They have the Pubs at 224 now. With 44 in the toss up category, they would need to gain a net 66% for your prediction to hold true.

Buuuuuut... I'm still a skeptic! I've got a much more conservative prediction of 55-56.

Bet you a virtual beer they don't make it to 75! :beer:

This isn't the same country as it was 60 years ago, the politics aren't the same, what it means to be a Rep or Dem doesn't mean now what it does then, the issues are very different, comparison for the purpose of prediction is weak at best.

Back
Top Bottom