• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

CNN places "X" over VP Cheney's face during live speech.

DeeJayH said:
that was not a news story
it was a joke a reporter did, that was not meant for distribution, much less mass distribution
poor taste, sure
but apples and oranges
depending if the truth is ever revealed
No if it wasn't meant to be on the air it wouldn't be.there are so many people watching for things like this. it could have been interupted, gone to a commercial break or something. if it was a technical glitch they could have said so but they will not comment.

Donkey1499 said:
Placing an "X" on Cheney is an insult, and it backs up CNN's leftist view by reminding people how much they hate the Bush administration. CNN is losing viewers. So by "reminding" people that Cheney is a "BAD MAN" (even tho he isn't) by placing an "X" on him, that might win back some viewers.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No one of any political ideology is going to be more likely to watch CNN because they placed an X over a politician one time, and I would hope that a conglomerate like CNN would have enough marketing research to figure this out.

Not to mention that this was on NATIONAL TELEVISION, not some two-bit local station, so there was no way they could have done it intentionally and expected to not be called on it.

UPDATE: Wow, with the way you guys have been carrying on about this, I had gotten the impression that this X was hovering over Cheney's face for the entire speech and CNN just didn't bother to fix it. But after reading the news stories about it, I see that it was only on the screen for ONE-SEVENTH OF A SECOND.

Don't you people have anything better to get outraged about?

Kandahar said:
UPDATE: Wow, with the way you guys have been carrying on about this, I had gotten the impression that this X was hovering over Cheney's face for the entire speech and CNN just didn't bother to fix it. But after reading the news stories about it, I see that it was only on the screen for ONE-SEVENTH OF A SECOND.

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with this. Who cares? I want a show of hands of the people who saw the "X" and decided to change their opinion of Cheney. What could CNN possibly hope to accomplish by doing this?

Kelzie said:
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with this. Who cares? I want a show of hands of the people who saw the "X" and decided to change their opinion of Cheney. What could CNN possibly hope to accomplish by doing this?
Exactly what we're all helping CNN to accomplish. Yapping about CNN. All the bloggers and forums have CNN's "X" on the brain right now.

Kelzie said:

except it was not plainly visible
from all accounts i saw, you could only see it when it was played at slow speeds, or after the story broke and one was looking for it
the comment that it was but 1/7th of a second long only lends itself to the fact that it was an attempt at a SUBLIMINAL attack on Cheney
the intent will never be known
the amount of involvement will never be known
it was Bullshit and telling of the mentality at CNN, regardless of whether this stunt was done by one or numerous people there
it happened multiple times
once is an accident
twice is a coincidence
more than twice is.......

The fact that there is almost no empirical support for the usefulness of subliminal messaging has not prevented numerous industries from producing and marketing tapes which allegedly communicate directly with the unconscious mind, encouraging the "listener" not to steal, or coaching the "listener" to have courage or believe in his or her power to accomplish great things.

shuamort said:
The fact that there is almost no empirical support for the usefulness of subliminal messaging has not prevented numerous industries from producing and marketing tapes which allegedly communicate directly with the unconscious mind, encouraging the "listener" not to steal, or coaching the "listener" to have courage or believe in his or her power to accomplish great things.
Not saying they DID...But if they intentionally put subliminal stuff in to have someone else show it as a stillframe or to generate buzz for an agenda, the subliminal things WILL work in that aspect...

Does subliminal advertising work?
. In January of 1958, Vicary agreed to conduct a publicly announced test over the Canadian Broadcasting Company stations. The message "telephone now" was flashed 352 times during a half-hour show, but there was no noticeable increase in telephone use during or after the program. Instead, the CBC received thousands of letters reporting unaccountable urges to get up and get a can of beer, to go to the bathroom, to change the channel--not a single viewer correctly guessed the message.

shuamort said:
I was posting that before you responded. Honest. :)
My message was shown to you subliminally while you were writing...

I guess it doesn't work??...:doh :2wave:

So how DO you respond to what I wrote?...

Not saying they DID...But if they intentionally put subliminal stuff in to have someone else show it as a stillframe or to generate buzz for an agenda, the subliminal things WILL work in that aspect...

cnredd said:
I'd change it to:

...But if they intentionally put "subliminal stuff" in to have someone else show it as a stillframe or to generate buzz for an agenda, the "subliminal" things WILL work in that aspect... Of course, it would also obviously backfire against CNN if they were to attempt such things.

Here's a bit more
One notorious example appeared in a 1980 Montgomery Ward catalog entitled "999 Price Cuts." On page 122 one could find--and many shocked homemakers did find--the F word etched faintly into the background of a shot of a bedspread. (All Ward's catalogs at the time were identified by letter; perhaps coincidentally, this was the X catalog.) The incident caused quite a stir around Ward's. It was traced to an employee of a retouching studio used by Ward's who evidently got mad one day when a piece of artwork was sent back for what he considered to be trivial changes. His editorial emendation, which was done with bleach on the negative, was his way of expressing his feelings on the matter. He and the retouching studio parted company soon thereafter.

shuamort said:
I'd change it to:

...But if they intentionally put "subliminal stuff" in to have someone else show it as a stillframe or to generate buzz for an agenda, the "subliminal" things WILL work in that aspect... Of course, it would also obviously backfire against CNN if they were to attempt such things.

Here's a wonderful example of this "backfiring" that you speak of...

dragonslayer said:
Heheheheehheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
eheheheehehehehehehehehehehe.

CNN finally did something good. Most of the time they tell lies that favor the Fascists. I wish I had seen it. Cheney hates america, and everyone who can think knows it. I watched part of the speech, but missed the crowning Pro American achievemnt by CNN

Soon we Willl find away to remove Bush and Cheney and get the trash in a good texas prison.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=149168&postcount=9

Want another one?

hipsterdufus said:
I think God has had enough of Cheney's crap and She forced the big black X over his lying chickenhawk face. Hopefully it's permament.

If Drudge says it, it must be true - Developing :roll:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=149200&postcount=11

cnn.gif

shuamort said:
I think there is something to this.It shows the additude of the people at CNN whether it was an executive decision or a prank by someone behind the sceines. It also shows how untrusting many people are of CNN. If CNN didn't have a long history of liberal bias, everyone would have blown past this as a non-story.The lack of crediablitiy makes people suspicious.

Rumors of their demise were greatly exaggerated, one could say, when CNN accidentally made publicly available obituaries of several international figures who are in fact still among the living.

Meeting this premature fate were the likes of U.S. vice president Dick Cheney, former president Ronald Reagan, Cuban leader Fidel Castro, Pope John Paul II and South African political icon Nelson Mandela. Their obituaries were mockups prepared in advance of the actual events.

http://news.com.com/2100-1025-997367.html?tag=fd_top

A thank you to the supporters of my campaign.
I have many people that I want to thank for helping me with this election. I want to thank my parents for all of their support in this campaign. I want to thank my father for all of the research he did. I want to thank my Mother for standing by me (and giving me a near heart attack last night when a CNN glitch showed me ahead in the polls before any results came in).

http://www.votefordan.net/campaign2004/

Two stories posted in the last week on the CNN website, one on nukes in Iran last Wednesday, and another on nukes in North Korea on Saturday, both use the same aerial photograph of the same purported nuclear power plant!

But one is supposed to be in Iran and the other is supposed to be in North Korea!

A story posted Saturday to CNN's website suggesting that North Korea is rallying behind their leader Kim Jong Il in his latest nuclear saber-rattling makes use of a satellite photo described in the caption as "An aerial photo of North Korea's Yongbyon nuclear plant outside of Pyongyang"...

Who is the source for these photos? Was it the same person in both instances? Were they supplied by someone who may have an interest in ginning-up fears over the two so-far unconquered players in Bush's "Axis of Evil"?

Or will it be another CNN staffer who steps forward again to take the fall for this one?

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20050224102824668

"The prankster typed in President Clinton in brackets. User name was President Clinton. We have a filtering system that works quite well," Johnson said. "There was a 20 second glitch and this is when the person came in and typed. We booted the person out."

"Under any circumstance, we are not pleased when a prankster participates in chats," she acknowledged.

Several experts, however, said the disruption was almost certainly a hack. The experts said it would have been impossible for anyone to give a false answer for Clinton without deliberately bypassing chat room security measures.

http://www.2600.com/news/0214-files/0214-fox.html

Is this just a CNN issue or are there other news outlets that run things this bad?

Donkey1499 said:
That was a WEB SITE, not the TV part of it. The web site and the station are run by TWO different teams, maybe more. So blame the web director on that mess up.

I see. CNN video guys make a mistake, and blame ALL of CNN. Fox posts a bunch of untruths on their web site and solely blame the web director.

Have some more cool aid, ass... oops, I mean donkey.

Kandahar said:

I seem to remember liberals getting ourtaged because "R A T S" was on the screen for about a seventh of a second in a Republican ad back in the 2000 Presidential election campaign.

Middleground said:
I see. CNN video guys make a mistake, and blame ALL of CNN. Fox posts a bunch of untruths on their web site and solely blame the web director.

I was watching Darth Cheney on CNN at the time and I didn't notice the "X" It lasted all of 1/7 of a second. My god, what an atrocity. :roll:

They don't call CNN the Communist News Network for nothing......

hipsterdufus said:
I was watching Darth Cheney on CNN at the time and I didn't notice the "X" It lasted all of 1/7 of a second. My god, what an atrocity. :roll:

What kills me is all the knee-jerk reaction from the Bushies. Like they are all certain it was done on purpose. Ohhh... that CNN Network is sooooooo bad!Ohhh... that CNN Network is sooooooo biased!

Cause you see, people who care for the truth -- rather than to look for any opening that might sustain their biased opinions -- know that when something like this happens, one must look at all aspects before reaching opinion. And if these people cared to do so, they would realize that situated at the bottom of the "X" in a spot that's difficult to read, are some words. And in those words, I can decipher "0 Black." If anyone here is familiar with multimedia, you would know about this. You would also know that things like this happen a lot. I know, I used to be the behind the scenes person at many a conference.

But no, it is so much funnerer to blather about consipracy theories, ain't it?

So would any of you Bushies like to explain the "0 Black?"

Please, please, let me start!!! The CNN video guy is African-American and thinks Chaney is a bigoted ba$tard. So he thought, what the heck, I want to tell all of America that Chaney thinks Blacks amount to a big fat zero. Cool, eh?

Middleground said:

I never said that this was ALL of CNN's fault. I was merely blaming the network (tv) part of it.

And why did you call me an ass, centerfield?

Donkey1499 said:
I never said that this was ALL of CNN's fault. I was merely blaming the network (tv) part of it.

And why did you call me an ass, centerfield?

Here's your first post in this thread:

I doubt if it was a glitch. CNN has always been anti-Republican and anti-Bush Admin. So I'm really not surprised that CNN would do something like this. I've always called CNN the "Clinton News Network" and the "Communist News Network".

What did I misconstrue here?

Also, I called you an ass because a donkey is an ass. Donkey is your moniker, n'est-ce-pas?

Back
Top Bottom