• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN matching Fox News Ratings

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
CNN Takes a Victory Lap in Midst of 2016 Campaign | TVNewser

Very interesting. CNN credits their success to being less liberal. Fox is of course still doubling their overall ratings, but CNN is matching them in the target demos during primetime.

I think it was a legitimate criticism of CNN that it was a little too liberal,” Mr. Zucker said. “We have added many more middle-of-the-road conservative voices to an already strong stable of liberal voices. And I think that we are a much more-balanced network and, as a result, a much more inviting network to a segment of the audience that might not have otherwise been willing to come here.”

So they are getting better ratings as they became less liberal hacks? Well, at least on the surface, anyways.

Thats what Zucker claims anyway. Others are saying it has to do with Trumps popularity increasing CNNs numbers, and Fox's obsession with Trump keeping their numbers down. I know I change the channel whenever the news talks about Trump.

Part of it also has to do with them grabbing a lot of MSMBC left leaning viewers since MSNBC is trying to pivot to the right.

So they are getting better ratings as they became less liberal hacks? Well, at least on the surface, anyways.

That's part of it. CNN responded well to what they were seeing in the market. The other part I think has been that FN took an early stance against Trump. And then went back on it, then back on that, rinse repeat. Their viewers abandoned ship. They didn't go to MSNBC, they went to CNN.

Part of it also has to do with them grabbing a lot of MSMBC left leaning viewers since MSNBC is trying to pivot to the right.
Interesting take on this, but I must say MSNBC seems much better for the changes!

And as you so so rightly pointed-out in your post, the change from MS*N*BC to MS*M*BC obviously means: MicroSoft Mainstream Broadcasting Company!

Good catch! :2razz:

That's part of it. CNN responded well to what they were seeing in the market. The other part I think has been that FN took an early stance against Trump. And then went back on it, then back on that, rinse repeat. Their viewers abandoned ship. They didn't go to MSNBC, they went to CNN.

When it mattered, Fox News became Trump lapdogs. Cruz supporters contend they got better coverage on CNN than Fox.

Ah, i am sad to see CNN sell out their journalistic integrity so they can join the conservative entertainment complex for ratings.

In general I think the ratings of cable news are driven by their opposition to the party in the White House. People seek out opposition and rancor and they just don't get it in the fawning media.

Fox will take a hit if Trump wins because nobody can take that much fawning. See what happened to MSNBC when they went from attacking Bush to presenting for Obama. Even liberals get uncomfortable watching the mating dance of Chris Matthews.

Very interesting. CNN credits their success to being less liberal. Fox is of course still doubling their overall ratings, but CNN is matching them in the target demos during primetime.

Maybe they are finally figuring out what the big 3 can't seem grasp... that stacking the deck with like-minded liberal viewpoints creates a biased news network that turns off millions of potential viewers. Just look what it's done to MSNBC.

As for the ratings, they still have a long way to go to catch Fox News, who between 5PM and 11PM are averaging more than 2 million viewers, to substantially less than a million CNN pulls in.

MSNBC's shift to the right didn't lose them their viewers, it was their solution to try and get back the ones they lost to CNN when they went extreme left.

Ah, i am sad to see CNN sell out their journalistic integrity so they can join the conservative entertainment complex for ratings.

So in your world:

Journalistic Integrity = Reporting from a Liberal perspective

Classic!

I'm questioning the numbers frankly. I am not seeing Fox News promoting Donald Trump. This past week they have been focused almost entirely on Trump's negatives and are actively in a 'you and him fight' mode. I have been pretty disgusted by that, and maybe that is what is driving viewers over to CNN?

But Fox News itself has surpassed everybody this campaign season, even most if not all non-political channels.

For the first time since it launched in 1999, in the first quarter of this year Fox News surpassed ALL cable news programming of all types. CNN has the greatest percentage of increase in viewers and MSNBC had about the same increase in viewers as Fox. But still CNN and MSNBC viewers added together don't usually equal Fox viewers.

I don't think Fox has hurt itself at all.
2016 election coverage keeps shattering cable news ratings records - POLITICO

So in your world:

Journalistic Integrity = Reporting from a Liberal perspective

Classic!

CNN was running the least biased show.

Their ratings suffered for it because the people that watch the news so regularly are often invested in some ideological lean, and CNN did not pander to either lean.

They've now caved on that, planning to lean right, probably acknowledging that their goal is ratings and the right is far easier to lie to.

Their ratings suffered for it because the people that watch the news so regularly are often invested in some ideological lean, and CNN did not pander to either lean.

They've now caved on that, planning to lean right, probably acknowledging that their goal is ratings and the right is far easier to lie to.

Planning to lean right? What makes you say that?

Zucker said:

“I think it was a legitimate criticism of CNN that it was a little too liberal,” Mr. Zucker said. “We have added many more middle-of-the-road conservative voices to an already strong stable of liberal voices. And I think that we are a much more-balanced network and, as a result, a much more inviting network to a segment of the audience that might not have otherwise been willing to come here.”​

He is clearly trying to create balance, not go from leaning left, to leaning right.

For the first time since it launched in 1999, in the first quarter of this year Fox News surpassed ALL cable news programming of all types.

Actually, it was Fox News Channel’s first-ever quarterly total-viewer victory among all cable networks, not just news oriented ones. That includes TBS, ESPN and AMC.

I've enjoyed CNN's Coverage of this election so far. I've been an avid Fox News fan for as long as I've been involved in politics, but I'm warming up to CNN. Been watching them a lot more recently since the people at Fox News I liked are now mostly for Trump. So I only tune into hear them if I want to see a pro-Trump stance on things.

CNN has been a lot more balanced recently.

Actually, it was Fox News Channel’s first-ever quarterly total-viewer victory among all cable networks, not just news oriented ones. That includes TBS, ESPN and AMC.

Correct. I should have said surpassed all cable programming of all types and not narrowed that down just to the news channels.

I've enjoyed CNN's Coverage of this election so far. I've been an avid Fox News fan for as long as I've been involved in politics, but I'm warming up to CNN. Been watching them a lot more recently since the people at Fox News I liked are now mostly for Trump. So I only tune into hear them if I want to see a pro-Trump stance on things.

CNN has been a lot more balanced recently.

If they are all for Trump why is every single one of them now focused on Trump's negatives? That he has won the nomination but how can he possibly hope to win the general election, etc? They have been unrelenting and brutal. They are giving nobody any chance to talk about anything else.

If they are all for Trump why is every single one of them now focused on Trump's negatives? That he has won the nomination but how can he possibly hope to win the general election, etc? They have been unrelenting and brutal. They are giving nobody any chance to talk about anything else.

I didn't say all, I said the guys I liked are for Trump. Namely O'Reilly and Hannity. That's their prime time lineup anyway. So while I did hear that refreshing talk coming from CNN I am not so sure where you heard that on Fox News. I think a few prominent Fox News pundits are against Trump. Namely Rove, krauthammer and Kelly, and two of them don't have shows on Fox news, but then again is that so surprising that those people are against Trump??? Who else are you talking about?

Planning to lean right? What makes you say that?

Zucker said:

“I think it was a legitimate criticism of CNN that it was a little too liberal,” Mr. Zucker said. “We have added many more middle-of-the-road conservative voices to an already strong stable of liberal voices. And I think that we are a much more-balanced network and, as a result, a much more inviting network to a segment of the audience that might not have otherwise been willing to come here.”​

He is clearly trying to create balance, not go from leaning left, to leaning right.

Yes, add more conservatives, by forcing themselves to go right.

Making themselves artificially right to accommodate the right wing bias that the conservative entertainment complex yearns for. Perhaps you've heard of the middle ground fallacy ?

I don't see this coming true at all.

Oh come now, that's quite a reach there!

Yes, add more conservatives, by forcing themselves to go right.

Making themselves artificially right to accommodate the right wing bias that the conservative entertainment complex yearns for. Perhaps you've heard of the middle ground fallacy ?
Middle ground/Argument to moderation applies to truth, not opinion.

I love CNN, and for hard unbiased news they are my go to guys.

So no, I don't see CNN wavering in journalistic integrity or moving to a model of false presentation; facts are facts, and they'll continue reporting them. But there's nothing wrong with them bringing in conservative commentary, or covering more conservative issues. They're very good at unbiased presentation, and I'm sure they'll continue. And quite honestly, good news coverage should cover events concerning both ends of the political spectrum, and from multiple perspectives. My hope is that CNN starts a pattern of depolarizing the news viewing audience; that's what I'd do if I were able to shape a news station.

But if you'd like to see an example of more even handled approach improving quality, look at the newly evolving MSNBC - they're a joy to watch for daytime coverage again, particularly on primary days! They may be my election-day haunt this year!

Back
Top Bottom