• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

CNN Libertarian presidential

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Featuring Gary Johnson and William Weld:

In ordinary elections I would think that the Libertarian ticket didn't stand a chance. But this has been no ordinary election.

EDIT: Derp. I meant CNN Libertarian presidential town hall.

Featuring Gary Johnson and William Weld:

(video)

In ordinary elections I would think that the Libertarian ticket didn't stand a chance. But this has been no ordinary election.

EDIT: Derp. I meant CNN Libertarian presidential town hall.

Here's what I said in the other thread: I haven't watched all of it, but I'm a bit concerned. I've been a Johnson supporter for a while now but after watching tonight I think their ticket would be stronger if Johnson and Weld switched places.

Here's what I said in the other thread: I haven't watched all of it, but I'm a bit concerned. I've been a Johnson supporter for a while now but after watching tonight I think their ticket would be stronger if Johnson and Weld switched places.

How come?

How come?

Weld came across as so much more sure of himself, more presidential for a lack of a better thought. Johnson came off as a bit wishy washy to me. Whenever he was questioned about his answer he always seemed to backtrack a bit.

Weld came across as so much more sure of himself, more presidential for a lack of a better thought. Johnson came off as a bit wishy washy to me. Whenever he was questioned about his answer he always seemed to backtrack a bit.

Ah. Johnson does seem to have a bit of a silly persona. But I don't know enough about him to say whether that's his true nature.

Ah. Johnson does seem to have a bit of a silly persona. But I don't know enough about him to say whether that's his true nature.

He has slowly morphed into his current self. I've seen him too many times in his pot t-shirt in interviews to take him serious anymore.

Wow. I would've never thought Gary Johnson would be getting any sort of mainstream press.

Wow. I would've never thought Gary Johnson would be getting any sort of mainstream press.

I'm surprised they are getting so little press, depending on who Hillary selects as VP. The Johnson-Weld ticket could potentially have the most experience of any of the tickets running. That seems like a big deal IMO.

He has slowly morphed into his current self. I've seen him too many times in his pot t-shirt in interviews to take him serious anymore.

Thing is, Johnson isn't a perfect libertarian. Neither is Hillary a perfect progressive. Now Trump...well...

There's way too much ideological purity going around this election cycle. Johnson seems to offer an alternative to those who favor fiscally conservative and socially liberal policies, but how many get on board with that remains to be seen.

Same. Call me a conspiracy theorist but Ive always believed that the MSM has been colluding with the dems and the GOP to stifle any sort of coverage for independent parties.

I'm surprised they are getting so little press, depending on who Hillary selects as VP. The Johnson-Weld ticket could potentially have the most experience of any of the tickets running. That seems like a big deal IMO.

Same. Call me a conspiracy theorist but Ive always believed that the MSM has been colluding with the dems and the GOP to stifle any sort of coverage for independent parties.

I hope he gets a little more to the point where his polling numbers get him in a debate.

Probably. I mean, the only reason Johnson's getting mainstream coverage now is because Donald Trump is so unpopular.

Last edited:
Thing is, Johnson isn't a perfect libertarian. Neither is Hillary a perfect progressive. Now Trump...well...

There's way too much ideological purity going around this election cycle. Johnson seems to offer an alternative to those who favor fiscally conservative and socially liberal policies, but how many get on board with that remains to be seen.

Hillary Clinton isn't a progressive at all, actually. She's a moderate liberal, if you want to tag her as something. Trump is really an independent, IMO; part Republican, part Democratic, with a dash of Libertarian.

Back
Top Bottom