• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN Host Calls for Crackdown on 'Bloggers' in Wake of Sherrod Incident:

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Continuation of thread Title.
'Something’s Going to Have to be Done Legally'

Link
http://www.debatepolitics.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=130

Quote(Should there be a "gatekeeper" regulating internet bloggers? In the aftermath of the Shirley Sherrod incident, that's what CNN promoted on July 23.

Anchors Kyra Phillips and John Roberts discussed the "mixed blessing of the internet," and agreed that there should be a crackdown on anonymous bloggers who disparage others on the internet.)

I can think of a couple of reasons why people especially in the 'News' industry might suppose this to be a good idea and one that the administration might think of instituting.
1) It would remove at a stroke one of the Constitutions main points.
Right to FREE speech.
2) It would remove any news item being disseminated except by those who are in the 'News' industry, thus perpetuating their jobs and freeing them from any competition.
3) It would muzzle any criticism of CNN and others of similar ilk.
I am certain there are many other reasons why these two 'clowns' would think it a good idea.
There are already sufficient laws in this country to protect anyone who might feel they are being abused online.
I wonder how other bloggers feel about these proposals,, are they in favor or against?

Free Speech is one thing, but when its used to, essentially destroy someones life, wrongfully, then something has to be done, but I believe there are already options for recourse in these cases. Something needs to be done legally, but between the individuals involved in this matter.

Having said that, the damage people can do to each other over the internet is becoming immeasurable, and sometimes once that damage is done, its hard to reverse.

There is free speech and their is libel.

When a blogger cross's over to libel, the blogger's should be punished like any other

It's no joke.They are chipping away at free speech.
Here are some clues off the top of my head
REMEMBER WHEN
Obama told his administration not to go on Drudge
Obama told us to read Huffington post
Obama told us to stop watching cable news
The WH was asking you to report any "misrepresentations" of the HC bill to them
The fairness doctrine kept being brought up
They changed that to "localization and diversity"
Glenn Beck boycotts
Goldline being brought before Congress
The journolist talking about ways the government should get Fox off the air
The TSA ? being told they weren't allowed to go to any "controvertial" websites
Now, if I'm not mistaken, Obama has the Power to completely shut down the internet in case of a "crisis"

Free speech for everyone, unless you're a conservative.

Free Speech is one thing, but when its used to, essentially destroy someones life, wrongfully, then something has to be done, but I believe there are already options for recourse in these cases. Something needs to be done legally, but between the individuals involved in this matter.

Having said that, the damage people can do to each other over the internet is becoming immeasurable, and sometimes once that damage is done, its hard to reverse.

Dan Rather should face criminal charges?

It's akin to identity theft...once compromised it's very difficult to correct it or recover from the damage inflected. Still, I think the only true recourse as far as "journalism" is concerned is for the media to simply check their sources and verify the accuracy of the information being reported. If proved to be inaccurate, the individual being wrongfully accused has the right to file a liable lawsuit to recoup damages. Might take awhile for the suit to be taken up in court, but if a large enough settlement is set it just may set a precedent whereby others will think twice about what they claim is factual before posting it online or anywhere else for that matter. Otherwise, I don't think one will ever be about to set very many legal controls on blogging, if any, due to the 1st Amendment.

Last edited:
They have always had difficulty figuring out who qualifies as a blogger and who qualifies as a journalist, and the ethics surrounding it.
That being said, a great deal of the time, it would be helpful if the mainstream media would be more reluctant to grab onto internet headlines and rumors.

Seems that the only damage done was the amazing incedible rush by the Obama Administration to fire this woman based on nothing but a rumor. Their failure to ascertain the facts before acting is typical of this gang, except when rapid action is needed, like when a million gallon oil spill is in progress in the Gulf of Mexico. For some strange reason, when something real happens, something that causes real harm to the United States, it's economy, and it's people, the Obama people have as much urge to move rapidly as a barnacle.

It's already been said but I'm pretty sure libel laws are in place to let people take action if someone has crossed the line, but even then it's up to the individual to take action. I wholeheartedly disagree that blog laws need to be created anymore than I think free speech laws need to be created.

And on another note, this is why I am completely against government and corporation regulation of the internet. Once one group gains control, then it is susceptible to public outcries and policy formations. The internet should remain FREE and NEUTRAL. If someone is badmouthing you, then sue them!

It should never be the place of nanny government to censor websites on your behalf. I don't care how damaging the material is. Take care of it yourself.

Now really...isnt that just a little bit dramatic? How was the internet used to destroy her life? Hell...on our happy little patch of internetland we had several people here saying woah...easy...not so fast...its not that big a deal and wasnt 'racist'. But the NAACP...who had access tot he whole tape...just barged right out there and condemned the woman without reviewing anything. Without conducting ANYTHING even REMOTELY resembling due dilligence the administration kneejerk fired the woman (ok...demanded she retire). How do you blame the internet for the andministration and NAACP acting stupidly? Hell...at work we have investigations if there are allegations of wrongdoing. The parties involved were in the wrong...and have blamed everyone else.

Link

Quote(Should there be a "gatekeeper" regulating internet bloggers? In the aftermath of the Shirley Sherrod incident, that's what CNN promoted on July 23.

Anchors Kyra Phillips and John Roberts discussed the "mixed blessing of the internet," and agreed that there should be a crackdown on anonymous bloggers who disparage others on the internet.)

I can think of a couple of reasons why people especially in the 'News' industry might suppose this to be a good idea and one that the administration might think of instituting.
Right to FREE speech.
2) It would remove any news item being disseminated except by those who are in the 'News' industry, thus perpetuating their jobs and freeing them from any competition.
I am certain there are many other reasons why these two 'clowns' would think it a good idea.
There are already sufficient laws in this country to protect anyone who might feel they are being abused online.
I wonder how other bloggers feel about these proposals,, are they in favor or against?

That CNN correspondent needs to be fired.

You're free to be a lying sack of **** right/left winger. I'm free to get my lawyer and sue the living **** out of your lying right/left winger ass.

You're free to be a lying sack of **** right/left winger. I'm free to get my lawyer and sue the living **** out of your lying right/left winger ass.

But there was no lie. She said those things. They were just taken out of context .Besides, her life wasn't ruined. I'm sure she'll sue somebody anyway. She has a history of doing that.

It's no joke.They are chipping away at free speech.
Here are some clues off the top of my head
REMEMBER WHEN
Obama told his administration not to go on Drudge
Obama told us to read Huffington post
Obama told us to stop watching cable news
The WH was asking you to report any "misrepresentations" of the HC bill to them
The fairness doctrine kept being brought up
They changed that to "localization and diversity"
Glenn Beck boycotts
Goldline being brought before Congress
The journolist talking about ways the government should get Fox off the air
The TSA ? being told they weren't allowed to go to any "controvertial" websites
Now, if I'm not mistaken, Obama has the Power to completely shut down the internet in case of a "crisis"

Hold on, Glen Beck boycotts are violating free speech? Since when it a violation of free speech to boycott something, I thought was one of the big reasons to have it :/

So people boycotting Glen Beck are violating your free speech rights? Or Glen Beck's rights? Or perhaps their own since they are no longer free to be spoken to?

Last edited:
Hold on, Glen Beck boycotts are violating free speech? Since when it a violation of free speech to boycott something, I thought was one of the big reasons to have it :/

So people boycotting Glen Beck are violating your free speech rights? Or Glen Beck's rights? Or perhaps their own since they are no longer free to be spoken to?

Just don't buy any gold...

But there was no lie. She said those things. They were just taken out of context .Besides, her life wasn't ruined. I'm sure she'll sue somebody anyway. She has a history of doing that.

Quote(She has a history of doing that)

Please eiither supply a link to prove your accusation or appologize for a false accusation.

No boyctting is a form of free speech. However in this case they were trying to silence free speech by using a boycott. Ain't America great?

Link

Right to FREE speech.

Personally, I don't think this incident shows the need for government regulation of bloggers. Rather, I think this incident shows the need for 24-hour news channels to self-regulate on blogger sources they use and investigate the legitimacy of the blogs before they use them as a source.

Last edited:

Link

Right to FREE speech.
So the fox wants to watch the hen house CNN and the rest of these clowns can go pound sand.

Link

Right to FREE speech.

Hehe.. Those mediatards should be careful for what they wish for. Maybe he, or she didn't know that the 1st amendment covers not only indivudual speech, but freedom of the press. What is the press? What, network news... ROTFLMAO. It would get laughed out of ANY district court in the United States. I wonder if they would have thought Paine a blogger or a legitimate member of the press.. :)

Tim-

If people REALLY believe that a BLOGGER is the same as a news-journalist or a reporter (both of which are held to a specific standard and held accountable for the result of their words and actions) then we're so far gone down the ****ter there's no coming back. . . we're doomed as a society.

I would NEVER - in a million years - consider hiring or firing someone BECAUSE of what a BLOGGER, FORUM or TWITTER feed tells me because it's NOT REAL NEWS, NOT REALLY RELIABLE and has no NEED FOR TRUTH OR FACTS. Blogs are just opinions - people's random thoughts and beliefs - it's *NOT* NEWS and should *NOT* be a key role in anyone's career or persona.

Everyone should be responsible and mature enough to understand and realize this is FACT. . . and grow up a bit.

Regardless of whether it is a blog or "real" journalism, we have the right to freedom of speech, all of us. In fact, if we don't all have freedom of speech, then none of us do.

The remedy for damaging someone by irresponsible use of freedom of speech is called libel, and is taken care of in civil, not criminal court.

Back
Top Bottom