• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN Editor Fired for Saying She Has "Respect" for Hezbollah Cleric

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Mediaite reports that CNN has fired senior editor of Middle East affairs Octavia Nasr. As Daniel Halper pointed out the other day, Nasr wrote on Twitter on July 4 that she was "sad" to hear of the death of Hezbollah's Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah--a man for whom she has "respect." Fadlallah had justified suicide bombings, is believed to be responsible for the Marine barracks bombing, and had said that "Zionism has inflated the number of victims in this Holocaust beyond imagination."

In a followup blog post last night, Nasr wrote that it "was an error of judgment for me to write such a simplistic comment and I'm sorry because it conveyed that I supported Fadlallah's life's work. That's not the case at all."

She explained that she knew about all the wicked aspects of Fadlallah's life--saying she even "lost family members" in the barracks bombing--and was simply referring to the fact that she respected Fadlallah for his opposition to "honor" killings and beating women. But saying you respect Fadlallah for opposing murdering and beating (Muslim) women is almost like saying you respect Osama bin Laden for building day care centers.

CNN doesn't think Nasr's apology makes up for what she said. "We believe that her credibility in her position as senior editor for Middle Eastern affairs has been compromised going forward," Nasr's CNN superior Parisa Khosravi said in a statement.

CNN Editor Fired for Saying She Has "Respect" for Hezbollah Cleric | The Weekly Standard

Who knew they had it in them?

I dunno, if Nasr were white and she said she respected the Grand Poo-Bah of the KKK, she would have gotten fired. I don't see alotta difference between the Ku Klux Klan, the Skinheads, the Neo-Nazis, nor Islam. They all one thing in common.

I didn't think CNN had it in them... good for CNN. I guess even they have a line they won't cross.

It's a great day for freedom of speech.:roll:

It's a great day for freedom of speech.:roll:

What does freedom of speech have to do with this? Was she arrested or otherwise harassed by the government for what she said?

I highly suggest that people with controversial opinions post anonymously ON A FORUM and not under their real name like everyone else so they can actually debate and learn - without getting the axe at work.

There are a lot of things said by leaders and politicians and so on that, if given the opportunity on a forum to fully explain, would make more sense.
Twitter is NOT that type of arena - it isn't set up for full explanations and book long defenses and so forth.

:shrug:

Last edited:
"Her credibility has been compromised"?
Gee, CNN, you really think that no one can tell whom of your reporters is following what opinions?

It's a great day for freedom of speech.
What does freedom of speech have to do with this? Was she arrested or otherwise harassed by the government for what she said?

Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from consequences of that speech. The govt did not censor her.

Its a great day for people not to understanding what freedom of speech means.

If you only had any actual understanding of the concept...........

I didn;t realize CNN was the government. /facepalm

We get it guys ;)

Last edited:
We get it guys ;)

Don't hush them, you're violating their freedom of speech, how dare you violate their freedom of speech.
And don't respond to my comment, it violates my freedom of speech. Also, don't litter. It doesn't violate my freedom of speech, but it contributes to global warming in a way.

And that violates my freedom of speech.

I dunno, if Nasr were white and she said she respected the Grand Poo-Bah of the KKK, she would have gotten fired. I don't see alotta difference between the Ku Klux Klan, the Skinheads, the Neo-Nazis, nor Islam. They all one thing in common.

You mean extremist Islam?

Because that was one hell of a misguided comment to make.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know about this. Her opinion may not be politically correct but she's entitled to it, and I understand why CNN would fire her, I just hate that it happened on Twitter! **** twitter, worst invention of the last decade.

Back
Top Bottom