• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN drops Marc Lamont Hill after anti-Israel remarks at UN spark backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CNN announced Thursday that it had fired commentator Marc Lamont Hill after he gave a speech at the United Nations in which he used language critics describe as a dog whistle advocating the elimination of Israel."Marc Lamont Hill is no longer under contract with CNN," a spokesperson for the cable network told Fox News.
Hill had come under criticism for his remarks during a Wednesday meeting of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People in observance of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. He accused the Israeli government of “normalizing settler colonialism" and called for a "free Palestine from the river to the sea," a remark that got applause from participating diplomats.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cnn-drops-marc-lamont-hill-anti-israel-remarks

In this case, one has to applaud CNN for their actions.

People may have a difficult time thinking but at least they can talk....

This is how their wrongheaded thinking can be corrected.

This policing of free speech is how we get into trouble.

Constitutional and consistency check...check.

People may have a difficult time thinking but at least they can talk....

This is how their wrongheaded thinking can be corrected.

This policing of free speech is how we get into trouble.

Constitutional and consistency check...check.

Peterson says something to the effect "We in the West figured out a long time ago, correctly I think, that "You are free to get up and say your dumb thing and then I am free to get up and say my dumb thing and then the listeners will use their best judgement to figure out what they believe" is the best that we can do".

We have lost that, we are regressing.

The New Dark Age is here.

Peterson says something to the effect "We in the West figured out a long time ago, correctly I think, that "You are free to get up and say your dumb thing and then I am free to get up and say my dumb thing and then the listeners will use their best judgement to figure out what they believe" is the best that we can do".

We have lost that, we are regressing.

The New Dark Age is here.

I do like the way JP ties the concept of free speech to thousands of years of development and why.

Fundamental truths are pretty interesting. To me anyway.

I do like the way JP ties the concept of free speech to thousands of years of development and why.

Fundamental truths are pretty interesting. To me anyway.

Peterson is mesmerizing.

I am pretty sure that this quote I paraphrased is in his Oxford speech.

Ideas platforms firing people because the ideas they speak make people uncomfortable is not something to be cheered, this is harmful to the project of civilization.

We have GOT to relearn how to prioritize.

So someone in effect calling for a second holocaust should be paid to give his opinions by CNN. Should CNN also pay KKK or other White Racists to give their views?

Peterson is mesmerizing.

I am pretty sure that this quote I paraphrased is in his Oxford speech.

I enjoyed this discussion. Engaging. I enjoy it when JP cites a study and one can follow up and go read the original report.

I will have to run down that Oxford speech.

So someone in effect calling for a second holocaust should be paid to give his opinions by CNN. Should CNN also pay KKK or other White Racists to give their views?

I dont give a **** about CNN, they do more harm than good.

I care about there being an arena for the full and fair combat of ideas, to include the unsavory ones, because when life is suffering the unsavory ideas are very often the right ones....the ones that best illuminate reality.

Yes, always. Speaking the truth shall not be allowed. It's the American Way in 2018.

I wasn't aware wiping out Israel was truth to you, that you supported such. Thanks for letting us know that.

I wasn't aware wiping out Israel was truth to you, that you supported such. Thanks for letting us know that.

This is exactly the logic the left uses to justify opposing free speech. Lamont Hill didn't say 'wipe out Israel' anyway.

I did not say that wiping out Israel was truth--YOU typed that absurd bunch of hogwash, likely because you're grasping at straws and very desperate.

I was discussing the thread topic, the censorship of a man who defended the Palestinians. YOU brought up wiping out Israel, not I.

The crimes of the Israeli government are there for all to see. In your desperation, you pretend Israel commits no crimes. The world knows otherwise.

Ideas platforms firing people because the ideas they speak make people uncomfortable is not something to be cheered, this is harmful to the project of civilization.

We have GOT to relearn how to prioritize.

Supporting terrorism and the destruction of Israel isn't free speech, it's hate speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom