• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

CNN Down Fox most respected

BigDog said:
Sure, see Brit Hume any time. On Fox Sunday he repeated commits two logical fallacies that he knows are false (he has to he is educated). He does this because he knows it plays to his intended audience and he wants viewers. Any intelligent viewer knows there is no way to spin anything if you listen carefully. How many died today in Iraq is a number, no spin required. Only the ability to add. But Fox viewers want someone to tell them something good. So, Fox reports the number, as all do, but provides something to feel good, like putting the war to music. Really quite sad for anyone who likes hard news to watch.
dont know about these logical fallacies, and i usually do not watch Fox Sunday

however, you may be able to collect on a $10,000 bounty

for years, Neal Boortz has a bounty out for anyone who can find a spin or bias in Brit Hume's reporting during Special Report, weeknights 6pm ET and and again at 12am ET.
not the round table discussions, but his reporting in the beginning of the show.
I expect a finders fee, if you are able to collect, normal 10% cut will suffice

Willoughby said:
Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....
I believe that most of the news networks are biased in the states. Fox is biased towards the right and CNN towards the left. I just get more annoyed about it when i watch fox because i am to the left. In the UK we get the biggest audience for terrestial TV stations and we are pretty sorted as we have right leaning news from ITV and left leaning news from Channel 4. That leaves the BBC who are a high reputation for balanced reporting. They cover the news not opinion. Its the perfect situation. Your right leaning man and go home and watch ITV and your left leaning man can go home and watch Channel 4. Or thye can both go to the BBC and get the facts....

would you admit that the BBC is anti-american in its slant tho?
which means it is not exactly "just the facts ma'am"

and what about skynews, since it is FoxNews sister station?

I can't say i have ever noticed it but that doesn't mean that it isn't there...

I don't really watch sky..its seems to be in the vaguely right wing-popularist section of the media along with the Sun newspaper (also murdoch)

BigDog said:
No they don't.

First Matthews isn't on Fox.

And Hannity is on FOX and doesn't even have his own show he must share it with a liberal commentator. What's your point?

2nd, Colmes is a sidekick

Baloney, he is a co-host and gets just as much time as Hannity.
and not representative of the other side.

How is he not representitive of the left, he was a well known liberal radio commentator before and in fact still has his radio show.
In fact, he is there just to make Hannity look stronger than he is.

So in fact all you have is this hyperbole to support your case.

SouthernDemocrat said:
I have no fear of Fox News at all. I am only saying that they cater to social conservatives and social conservatives have an affinity for wedge issues. For example:

How many nights during the last Christmas season did O'Reilly and Hannity devote much of their shows to the supposed "Liberal war on Christmas"?

And both had views from both sides of the issue which was a national issue. And Hannity doesn't run or own the show he is own Colmes was just as much on the issue as he was. So where was the slant?
Basically the contentation was that the evil liberals want to destroy Christmas. What is that if its not hatemongering?

Versus the evil religious right trying to get it's religious symbols on public property, the issue went both ways.

How about all there focus on "Femi-nazis" or "Enviro-nazis".

What on earth are you talking about, I've never heard either of those terms mentioned on either show.

What other network blatantly demonizes the right to the extent that Fox New's talking heads blatantly demonize the left?

MSNBC, CBS, ABC, et al. Give me an example of the NEWS demonizing the left.

Does Larry King get on his show every night and call conservatives fascists?

Some of his guest do and he certainly let's them get away with it.
There is simply no comparison anywhere in network news. My problem with Fox News is that they claim to be balanced. If they would just come out and say they were a conservative news network, then I would have no problem with them at all.

But then they would be lying, the left just can't stand the conservative side getting an equal representitive airing.

I think that the problem with most of the US news networks, and to some extent some of the UK's is that they are not news at all, they are not information, they are infortainment. They pander to their viewers and distort on both left and right. Its just not what i am looking in my news. I want something that challenges my perceptions and belives, not opinion that challenges it but real news stories that might challenge it. No bias crap just straight down the line news...

The BBC is "anti-american" as any other mainstream european news source. In other words if they dont jump on board with US policy then they are labled anti american/liberal/biased by the right in the US.

I don't really watch sky..its seems to be in the vaguely right wing-popularist section of the media along with the Sun newspaper (also murdoch)

No Sky News is behind Blair for the most part and tones down any "scandal" he is involved in as much as they legally can without being smacked with a warning from the regulators. Its rare they are critical of Blair or his policies but it does happen. Hence they are not right wing, they are behind the people in power.

But they are as balanced as they can be as they have for the most part representatives of all 3 major political parties in thier debates and interivews and often balance thier reports with opposing views... as does the BBC, ITV news, Channel 4 news and so on.

As for the Sun.. well /shrug.. just a rag in my eyes.

Also Sky News launched 6 years before Fox News... so it is the big sister :)

No Sky News is behind Blair for the most part and tones down any "scandal" he is involved in as much as they legally can without being smacked with a warning from the regulators. Its rare they are critical of Blair or his policies but it does happen. Hence they are not right wing, they are behind the people in power.
I suppose that is if you count blair as left or right...
Only joking i see your point...

DeeJayH said:
dont know about these logical fallacies, and i usually do not watch Fox Sunday

however, you may be able to collect on a $10,000 bounty

for years, Neal Boortz has a bounty out for anyone who can find a spin or bias in Brit Hume's reporting during Special Report, weeknights 6pm ET and and again at 12am ET.
not the round table discussions, but his reporting in the beginning of the show.
I expect a finders fee, if you are able to collect, normal 10% cut will suffice

That's easy. I'll let you collect. Watch back issues of Fox Sunday and you will here Hume make two repeated statements:

Statement one - "We either fight them in Iraq or we fight them here."

This is called a false dilema or an either/or fallacy. The speaker gives two choices; however, one choice is always much better than the other and favors one action. Such a statement tries to by pass third, fourth or fifth options. That is why it is an error in reasoning, and being as Hume is an educated man, I can only assume he is doing this on purpose.

Statement two - "We know Bush's policy of preemption is working because we have had no attacks here on American soil since 9/11."

This is called a confusing causal relationship error. The person making this statement wrong assumes time relationships equal causal relationships. A friend tells me he shaved his beard after 9/11 and there have been no attacks since; therefore he concludes he must keep his face clean shaven in order to prevent an attack. Hume's statement is the same type of logic. Again, as he is an educated man, he must know better.

Back
Top Bottom