• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

CNN Down Fox most respected

SouthernDemocrat said:
Granted, I was being particularly smart assed. Just the same, I will stand by my core point. A higher percentage of right wingers watch the news at night than liberals. Those right wingers of course want news with a conservative tilt. They also have an affinity for wedge issues. Fox news and its conservative commentators, certainly fit the bill there. That is why Fox News has higher ratings than other news networks. It does not mean that all the other networks have a liberal bias either. It just means that many conservatives seem to enjoy watching or listening to hatemongers like O'Reilly and Hannity. This is also evidenced by the popularity of right wing talk radio and hosts like Hannity, Limbaugh, and Savage. The same kind of people who listen to guys like Limbaugh and Hannity get them angry about gays, liberals, democrats, feminists, environmentalists etc. during the day, are the same people who watch guys like O'Reily and Hannity get them angry about gays, liberals, democrats, feminists, environmentalists etc. In that regard, Fox News has a winning formula.

You said it yourself, two folks, OReilly, and Hannity, who has a Liberal sitting across from him. Two shows, this hardly makes up the whole Fox news network, but somehow that does not stop you from smearing them. I never hear this about MSNBC, with Obermann, or Matthews, or when it was CNN, with Brown, or any of the other networks, never heard a peep. Then evil, unfair, unbalanced Fox comes along, with a few guys with far right views, and you people freak the f**k out.

Now who's the paranoid hatemonger here, is it you?:roll:

Deegan said:
You said it yourself, two folks, OReilly, and Hannity, who has a Liberal sitting across from him. Two shows, this hardly makes up the whole Fox news network, but somehow that does not stop you from smearing them. I never hear this about MSNBC, with Obermann, or Matthews, or when it was CNN, with Brown, or any of the other networks, never heard a peep. Then evil, unfair, unbalanced Fox comes along, with a few guys with far right views, and you people freak the f**k out.

Now who's the paranoid hatemonger here, is it you?:roll:

Matthews is hardly a liberal. The guy hated Clinton, hated Gore, and hated Kerry. Colms gets about 2 words in to Hannity's 50. I don't know whether Brown is liberal or not, never really watched his show. I doubt that even if he is a liberal, he is even a tenth as liberal as Fox News primetime lineup is conservative. The only guy on any of the networks that bases his or her entire show on wedge issues to the extent that Fox News primetime lineup does is maybe Lou Dobbs.

The fact is, the demographic that sits around and watches the news all nigh t is primarily conservative. Hence the reason for Fox New's success.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Matthews is hardly a liberal. The guy hated Clinton, hated Gore, and hated Kerry. Colms gets about 2 words in to Hannity's 50. I don't know whether Brown is liberal or not, never really watched his show. I doubt that even if he is a liberal, he is even a tenth as liberal as Fox News primetime lineup is conservative. The only guy on any of the networks that bases his or her entire show on wedge issues to the extent that Fox News primetime lineup does is maybe Lou Dobbs.

The fact is, the demographic that sits around and watches the news all nigh t is primarily conservative. Hence the reason for Fox New's success.
:rofl
Yeah, you're right, liberals are out having gay sex, shooting up, and hugging trees!

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds, conservatives sit around and watch t.v, lol, whatever, you are much too brainwashed for me to have any impact on.
:2wave:

Deegan said:
:rofl
Yeah, you're right, liberals are out having gay sex, shooting up, and hugging trees!

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds, conservatives sit around and watch t.v, lol, whatever, you are much too brainwashed for me to have any impact on.
:2wave:

What I am saying is that liberals tend to be younger. Conservatives tend to be older. Older people tend to watch the news in the evenings. Younger people tend to not. Therefore, news networks that cover topics appealing to conservatives, especially older social conservatives, will get higher ratings.

As to your first point, if you listen to some of the right wingers on these boards, you would think that all liberals do is bash God, do drugs, have gay sex, and hug trees. If you listen to guys like Hannity or O'Reilly, that is the impression one would have of liberals as well.

SouthernDemocrat said:
What I am saying is that liberals tend to be younger. Conservatives tend to be older. Older people tend to watch the news in the evenings. Younger people tend to not. Therefore, news networks that cover topics appealing to conservatives, especially older social conservatives, will get higher ratings.

As to your first point, if you listen to some of the right wingers on these boards, you would think that all liberals do is bash God, do drugs, have gay sex, and hug trees. If you listen to guys like Hannity or O'Reilly, that is the impression one would have of liberals as well.

That may have been the case 20 years ago, but folks like you, me, everyone here, are now becoming more interested in politics at an earlier age. This has a lot to do with the age of the internet, and the creation of cable news period. If you really want to know how Fox gained such a loyal following, look to the facts, during and after 9/11, folks were glued to cable news, Fox had the best coverage, even out doing the top three, ABC, NBC, and CBS. There is no conspiracy here, it's about choice, and Fox has been that choice since that terrible day.

And now news that the newspaper circulation is down especially the left leaning ones.

Perhaps the rejection of the liberal vitriol is more than originally suspected.

Deegan said:
LOL, that's the most ridiculous load of crap I have ever read on this site, congrats!:rofl

The left has nothing left but excuses which is all that post was. They just totally blank out any concept that people really want a balanced news and that's what FOX gives them INCLUDING the opinion shows where BOTH sides are represented in an even fashion. Liberals are just used to seeing a 4 to 1 Lib/Con so when they see the conservative side get equal footing it appears to be "slanted".

Their old tired arguement, "eveyone else is stupid therefore I am right" is very boring.

You know the arguement "they are just stupid bigotted rednecks" just doesn't make it anymore. Isn't it time to try something intellectual?

Stinger said:
You know the arguement "they are just stupid bigotted rednecks" just doesn't make it anymore. Isn't it time to try something intellectual?

Yes, it is time!! ....you start.

Deegan said:
That may have been the case 20 years ago, but folks like you, me, everyone here, are now becoming more interested in politics at an earlier age. This has a lot to do with the age of the internet, and the creation of cable news period. If you really want to know how Fox gained such a loyal following, look to the facts, during and after 9/11, folks were glued to cable news, Fox had the best coverage, even out doing the top three, ABC, NBC, and CBS. There is no conspiracy here, it's about choice, and Fox has been that choice since that terrible day.

I would argue that Fox News started getting the most viewers because of its 24/7 coverage of the Lewinsky Scandal actually. Your right that younger people are more interested in politics and current events. However, younger people get their info on the net. A morning visit to Google News will provide someone with as much info as watching network news for hours. As younger people tend to be more liberal, they probably would not watch the Fox News primetime lineup anyway. What Fox News is targeting is the typical wedge issue voter. Those types don't want balance, they simply want something to get angry about and constant reinforcement of their own prejudices. Fox New's primetime lineup does a great job of dolling that out on a nightly bases for them.

Stinger said:
And now news that the newspaper circulation is down especially the left leaning ones.

Perhaps the rejection of the liberal vitriol is more than originally suspected.

Yeah, or it could be that you can visit the website of pretty much any newspaper on the planet and read the same articles you used to have to purchase a newpaper to get. :roll:

Moreover, hello pot meet kettle with that "liberal vitriol" crap. The most successful conservative talking heads and authors are nothing but hatemongers.

Donkey1499 said:
A university being fair and balanced with a poll? Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa....... Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everybody knows that universities and colleges are chock full of liberals.

But you are correct about opinion polls being inaccurate. I'll give ya that much.

Yes, I am correct. And when you reach University Status, you'll know that there is no credibility behind the "everybody knows" mantra. Universities by and large know that you have to actually prove something. What you did in that post was commit a lower level fallacy called assuming something not settled, much like the poster of this thread. :doh ;)

Mixed View said:
Frankly I believe in what Micheal Savage says about CNN and it should be renames TNN (Taliban News Network). I believe that Fox News if fair and balanced.

Yeah, belief is cool, but what you got to support that claim?

BigDog said:
Hannity and Colmes. O'Riley and Chris Matthews. See, they cancel eachother out. Cnn, Larry King. Where their conservative side. Where Fox shows both.

Mixed View said:
Hannity and Colmes. O'Riley and Chris Matthews. See, they cancel eachother out. Cnn, Larry King. Where their conservative side. Where Fox shows both.

No they don't. :2funny: :2rofll: :lamo

First Matthews isn't on Fox. 2nd, Colmes is a sidekick and not representative of the other side. In fact, he is there just to make Hannity look stronger than he is.

But I appreciate the laugh. You have a good day now. ;)

BigDog said:

Mixed View said:

No they don't. :lamo :2rofll: :2funny:

First Matthews isn't on Fox. 2nd, Colmes is a sidekick and not representative of the other side. In fact, he is there just to make Hannity look stronger than he is.

But I appreciate the laugh. You have a good day now.;)

SouthernDemocrat said:
I would argue that Fox News started getting the most viewers because of its 24/7 coverage of the Lewinsky Scandal actually. Your right that younger people are more interested in politics and current events. However, younger people get their info on the net. A morning visit to Google News will provide someone with as much info as watching network news for hours. As younger people tend to be more liberal, they probably would not watch the Fox News primetime lineup anyway. What Fox News is targeting is the typical wedge issue voter. Those types don't want balance, they simply want something to get angry about and constant reinforcement of their own prejudices. Fox New's primetime lineup does a great job of dolling that out on a nightly bases for them.

Again, I just don't see the problem with Fox news, that so many on the left have. It's always amazed me that, one cable news network could possibly cause so much fear and panic, but I guess the competition has something to do with that. What you call hate speech, I call opinion, and I don't know why you fear another opinion so much, that you would attack those on the right for simply be able to provide theirs? I know that some of you liberals think you know it all, and have it all worked out for the rest of us, that just isn't the case, nor will it ever be. People will always disagree on these issues, the only thing that has changed is that they are front and center, and to suggest the right does not deserve an outlet........well that's just ridiculous, not to mention hypocritical as hell.;)

Deegan said:
Again, I just don't see the problem with Fox news, that so many on the left have. It's always amazed me that, one cable news network could possibly cause so much fear and panic, but I guess the competition has something to do with that. What you call hate speech, I call opinion, and I don't know why you fear another opinion so much, that you would attack those on the right for simply be able to provide theirs? I know that some of you liberals think you know it all, and have it all worked out for the rest of us, that just isn't the case, nor will it ever be. People will always disagree on these issues, the only thing that has changed is that they are front and center, and to suggest the right does not deserve an outlet........well that's just ridiculous, not to mention hypocritical as hell.;)

I have no fear of Fox News at all. I am only saying that they cater to social conservatives and social conservatives have an affinity for wedge issues. For example:

How many nights during the last Christmas season did O'Reilly and Hannity devote much of their shows to the supposed "Liberal war on Christmas"?

Basically the contentation was that the evil liberals want to destroy Christmas. What is that if its not hatemongering?

How about all there focus on "Femi-nazis" or "Enviro-nazis". What other network blatantly demonizes the right to the extent that Fox New's talking heads blatantly demonize the left? Does Larry King get on his show every night and call conservatives fascists? There is simply no comparison anywhere in network news. My problem with Fox News is that they claim to be balanced. If they would just come out and say they were a conservative news network, then I would have no problem with them at all.

SouthernDemocrat said:
I have no fear of Fox News at all. I am only saying that they cater to social conservatives and social conservatives have an affinity for wedge issues. For example:

How many nights during the last Christmas season did O'Reilly and Hannity devote much of their shows to the supposed "Liberal war on Christmas"?

Basically the contentation was that the evil liberals want to destroy Christmas. What is that if its not hatemongering?

How about all there focus on "Femi-nazis" or "Enviro-nazis". What other network blatantly demonizes the right to the extent that Fox New's talking heads blatantly demonize the left? Does Larry King get on his show every night and call conservatives fascists? There is simply no comparison anywhere in network news. My problem with Fox News is that they claim to be balanced. If they would just come out and say they were a conservative news network, then I would have no problem with them at all.

There are nuts on the left that, if they had their way, would remove everything Christian related, including Christmas. It's really a, "if the shoe fits, wear it" issue, I never once heard them direct this at Democrats, or even a majority of liberals. And there are "Enviro-nazis" and "Femi-nazis" ever heard of ELF, how about, code pink? Yes, if the shoe fit's, I really don't see your point, unless you think burning down buildings, and blowing things up, helps environmental groups?:confused:

I guess you have not watched Keith Obermann lately, but his ratings suck, so I don't blame you. The point is, people don't want to hear these shreiking idiots, hence the ratings, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, Air America, no one wants to watch or listen to these clowns, not even liberals like yourself, lol.;)

Deegan said:
There are nuts on the left that, if they had their way, would remove everything Christian related, including Christmas. It's really a, "if the shoe fits, wear it" issue, . . .

Not really. The nuts on both side are too few to actually justify such an effort. But because it plays to the "we hate liberal" crowd, O'Rielly goes all nuts himself. And it sells, which is really the only reason he's doing it.

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....
I believe that most of the news networks are biased in the states. Fox is biased towards the right and CNN towards the left. I just get more annoyed about it when i watch fox because i am to the left. In the UK we get the biggest audience for terrestial TV stations and we are pretty sorted as we have right leaning news from ITV and left leaning news from Channel 4. That leaves the BBC who are a high reputation for balanced reporting. They cover the news not opinion. Its the perfect situation. Your right leaning man and go home and watch ITV and your left leaning man can go home and watch Channel 4. Or thye can both go to the BBC and get the facts....

Stinger said:
Recall when CNN canned Aaron Brown and install Andersen Cooper as the new savior for the prime 10pm EST slot. Well it just hasn't turned out so well as the rates have FALLEN 38%. Why don't they wise up and try to put on a more balance program? And the news, sorry for the pun, for Air America will lose it's flagship New York station this summer.

As for Fox, it a new poll showed it to be the most trusted news source in America. Sounds like they are living up to their principle of balanced news and balanced views. In fact they were so far ahead of their competition it wasn't even competitive.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/5/6/122755.shtml?s=ic

Too bad, a balanced media is good to have but until the left can find a better more honest way to present itself I believe they will keep losing audience here.

The most liberal person on CNN is Republican Lou Dobbs. Most Liberals despise CNN because they don't do news any more, they're trying to be "Fox Lite." Look at Anderson Cooper - he made his name by standing in the middle of hurricanes....

CNN International is another story- that station still does news, unfortunatley I can't get it from my cable station.

BigDog said:
Not really. The nuts on both side are too few to actually justify such an effort. But because it plays to the "we hate liberal" crowd, O'Rielly goes all nuts himself. And it sells, which is really the only reason he's doing it.

Oh, you mean like when liberals compare the majority of Christians to the Pat Robertson's of the country? Yeah, that doesn't sell at all.:roll:

hipsterdufus said:
The most liberal person on CNN is Republican Lou Dobbs. Most Liberals despise CNN because they don't do news any more, they're trying to be "Fox Lite." Look at Anderson Cooper - he made his name by standing in the middle of hurricanes....

CNN International is another story- that station still does news, unfortunatley I can't get it from my cable station.

LOL, professor, you're so far to the left, that Air America is probably "Fox lite" to you brother, lol.:rofl

But I have to commend Willoughby for his honesty. ;)

Back
Top Bottom