• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN corrects Native American elder and teens in MAGA hats story.

dobieg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
You'd think CNN would have learned it's lesson less than 48 hours after the Buzzfeed implosion but this is CNN after all.

It would be nice if the media and Left quit all this race baiting nonsense before some radical Leftist gets so worked up they hurt someone.

The men continue talking on the video as Phillips disappears from the shot. They describe the students' hats and behavior as a "mockery" and call them "future school shooters."
The comments draw the students back to the group. Some respond with boos and gather around the men.
"How you gonna tell somebody to go shoot up a school -- that's like really rude," says a voice from the young crowd.
The men accuse them of reaping the benefits of slave labor. The men repeatedly use the n-word to refer to the black teens in the group, prompting cries from group. The men ask the students if the water they're drinking "tastes like incest" and call the students "young Klansmen."
The teens listen for a few minutes longer, accusing the men of being racist and booing when the main speaker uses the word "faggots" when talking about equal rights.

As the crowd of students grows, some of the men criticize their "racist" MAGA hats. They call them "crackers" and "incest children." The video captures some students walking away.

The video captures Phillips as he walks into the crowd of bobbing teens.
"He came to the rescue," a voice is heard on the video.
People follow him, blocking the camera from what happens next.
Kaya Taitano, who shot the viral video, said the teens were chanting "Build the wall" and "Trump 2020." Those chants were not audible in videos reviewed by CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

Oh man, right wingers think the longer video vindicates the children, don't they?

Oh man, right wingers think the longer video vindicates the children, don't they?

CNN apparently seems to think so.

Does that make you sad you can't keep peddling your race baiting bs?

Nah. It's all the videos that vindicate these incredible children who acted more grown up than any of the idiots around them screaming racist crap and trying to intimidate them. Truly impressive children.

Yes, presenting something in its larger context often changes one's impression of it.

You'd think CNN would have learned it's lesson less than 48 hours after the Buzzfeed implosion but this is CNN after all.

It would be nice if the media and Left quit all this race baiting nonsense before some radical Leftist gets so worked up they hurt someone.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

CNN is taking the lead in saving their asses. Others are following suit, though not even being halfway honest about it like CNN.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/journalists-and-celebs-rush-to-delete-tweets-slamming-maga-hat-kids/

Yes, presenting something in its larger context often changes one's impression of it.

In what sense? These kids are still fully responsible for their behavior.

I have had to put up with a lot of bigotry most of my life. I even have to contend with the fact that my future children will have to endure it, and I will have to help and teach them. I literally been so hurt by the hate and ignorance of others, that I have cried and cried. But what I have never done is acted like those kids and gone viral because of my own behavior.

Yes. They are young and immature. They were in a big city and probably never heard a black person espouse such bigtory, but that doesn't excuse their behavior. I saw the boy's comments about how offended he was, and felt a need to defend everything, so he got worked up and wrapped up in the moment. This kid has to learn he isn't entitled to respect. Everything can be mocked and taunted, down to his core beliefs... his religion, his skin color, etc.

Experiencing a bigot is no excuse. That's a lesson those black men need to learn themselves. Everything about the Black Israelite movement is a horrible reaction to hate, racism, and bigtory they have had to deal. These kids are not simply victims, and they should be held responsible for their behavior instead of excused and victimized.

Last edited:

Yeah except that's not what is happening here.

They're being told the larger context radically changes the situation. They aren't actually watching the video.

I have had to put up with a lot of bigotry most of my life. I even have to contend with the fact that my future children will have to endure it, and I will have to help and teach them. I literally been so hurt by the hate and ignorance of others, that I have cried and cried. But what I have never done is acted like those kids and gone viral because of my own behavior.

Yes. They are young and immature. They were in a big city and probably never heard a black person espouse such bigtory, but that doesn't excuse their behavior. I saw the boy's comments about how offended he was, and felt a need to defend everything, so he got worked up and wrapped up in the moment. This kid has to learn he isn't entitled to respect. Everything can be mocked and taunted, down to his core beliefs... his religion, his skin color, etc.

Experiencing a bigot is no excuse. That's a lesson those black men need to learn themselves. Everything about the Black Israelite movement is a horrible reaction to hate, racism, and bigtory they have had to deal. These kids are not simply victims, and they should be held responsible for their behavior instead of excused and victimized.

That largely depends on their age and whether their action was or was not a reaction. A common tactic in a bar fight is to loudly defend the honor of your mother or sister immediately prior to cold cocking some poor drunk slob off of their barstool. Those nearby will often assert that the attack was obviously in responce to provokation or "fighting words".

Yeah except that's not what is happening here.

They're being told the larger context radically changes the situation. They aren't actually watching the video.

I said in an earlier thread, what it boils down to is a bunch of sheltered kids getting out of town and seeing a big city. Their school is mostly all white, and they were seeing and hearing stuff for the first time. They heard black men talking like that, and were extremely repulsed and offended, and felt an urge to act out. They simply have never been exposed to such views nor have they experienced anything like that. They probably have never seen native drummers and protestors before either.

Everything about their reaction reflects on them, where they are from, and how they were raised. The boy's own statements reveals it all.

Such people are the GOP base. GOP voters tend to be rural, not city dwellers. They are not people accustomed to diversity, even the diversity of racism and racial tribalism within diverse populations. People of all races say offensive stuff and show racism towards other groups. I ignore such groups in my community. The bottom line is, there are good people of all races and backgrounds, and anybody can be a bigot and asshole. But people like these kids don't deal with complexities of diverse populations. Maga hat people mostly fit into the same category, and therefore feel the same confusion and reaction as the kids.

Yes, pretty much everyone does except those whose brains short-circuit every time they see a red hat.

That largely depends on their age and whether their action was or was not a reaction. A common tactic in a bar fight is to loudly defend the honor of your mother or sister immediately prior to cold cocking some poor drunk slob off of their barstool. Those nearby will often assert that the attack was obviously in responce to provokation or "fighting words".

Maybe that's how you roll in Texas. If I tried to knock out every person who offended me, I would be dead. People on this site have said numerous bigoted and ignorant things to me about my immigration and religion, upstairs and downstairs, with no consequence that I have seen. When your an actual minority, the majority of the mob mentality in other people is a danger. If one guy in the crowd says something mean, you're in less danger if you ignore him rather than picking a physical fight with him and his tribe.

Also, if you really want to go, and say these kids should have beat the **** out of those guys and started street mele... That's pretty terrible

Context is EVERYTHING when it comes to the truth in these things. Most of the mainstream media long ago threw honorable journalism out the window when they made the choice to be left wing advocates and Democrat operatives. So they pull the most innocuous statements or image out of the full context of an argument or event, and twist it to look like something it almost certainly was not. And it doesn't even embarrass them to do that anymore. Nor apparently does it embarrass the brainwashed political extremists on social media and message boards to repeat the lie over and over and over again and/or to defend it or shrug it off as an outlier and unimportant.

Everybody on the right isn't innocent of that, and I hate it when they err in that regard. But it has become the common standard M.O. of the left. And it is tearing the country apart.

Yes, pretty much everyone does except those whose brains short-circuit every time they see a red hat.

That's a big claim for someone who hasn't watched it.

Context is EVERYTHING when it comes to the truth in these things. Most of the mainstream media long ago threw honorable journalism out the window when they made the choice to be left wing advocates and Democrat operatives. So they pull the most innocuous statements or image out of the full context of an argument or event, and twist it to look like something it almost certainly was not. And it doesn't even embarrass them to do that anymore. Nor apparently does it embarrass the brainwashed political extremists on social media and message boards to repeat the lie over and over and over again and/or to defend it or shrug it off as an outlier and unimportant.

Everybody on the right isn't innocent of that, and I hate it when they err in that regard. But it has become the common standard M.O. of the left. And it is tearing the country apart.

You can't talk about greater context without actually watching the video that presents it.

I don't defend the media, but people like you go on and on about MSM and fail to recognize the partisan guilt of Fox News and other forms of media you gobble up non stop.

Yes they do. They are the ones on the warpath of rewriting the narrative. Every couple hours they come out with a brand new narrative.

And what behavior might that be?

CNN apparently seems to think so.

Does that make you sad you can't keep peddling your race baiting bs?

Everyone knows CNN is fake news so why should we believe it?

It's an old theme: as long as they can find some other entity they can claim did something wrong, that somehow protects the original subject or makes it wrong to talk about the original subject. The only approved talk is now that talk that is negative and directed against either the media or the Native Vet.

Transparent and stupid, as usual. Nothing any "black Israelites" did makes what the kids did better, and nothing about the media initially saying the kids walked over to the Native Vet rather than surrounded the Native vet as he walked back and forth a bit in front of the crowd makes what the kids better, and most certainly no made up claims that maybe the kids thought the Native Vet was supporting him made what they did better.

Of course, I've also seen it suggested by a non-usual-suspect in one of these threads that a bunch of white kids laughing, elbowing each other, and surrounding the Natives while mocking their chant and making tomahawk chops at them isn't even "racist". So....I kind of despair.

I suggest you improve your choice in bars...

I said in an earlier thread, what it boils down to is a bunch of sheltered kids getting out of town and seeing a big city. Their school is mostly all white, and they were seeing and hearing stuff for the first time. They heard black men talking like that, and were extremely repulsed and offended, and felt an urge to act out. They simply have never been exposed to such views nor have they experienced anything like that. They probably have never seen native drummers and protestors before either.

Everything about their reaction reflects on them, where they are from, and how they were raised. The boy's own statements reveals it all.

Such people are the GOP base. GOP voters tend to be rural, not city dwellers. They are not people accustomed to diversity, even the diversity of racism and racial tribalism within diverse populations. People of all races say offensive stuff and show racism towards other groups. I ignore such groups in my community. The bottom line is, there are good people of all races and backgrounds, and anybody can be a bigot and asshole. But people like these kids don't deal with complexities of diverse populations. Maga hat people mostly fit into the same category, and therefore feel the same confusion and reaction as the kids.

Please don't take this as patronizing but that was a much more reasoned response. I don't completely agree with some of your assessments(such as kids dealing with diverse populations rather than with how they are treated) but much of what you say is reasonable and thoughtful.

Back
Top Bottom