• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN’s New Streaming Service Is Shutting Down Weeks After Rocky Launch

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
CNN+, the subscription streaming service from cable news giant CNN, is shutting down less than one month after its official launch, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The move comes following a merger between WarnerMedia, CNN’s parent company, and Discovery to former Warner Bros. Discovery. The launch of the streamer also came amid internal turmoil that involved CNN president Jeff Zucker’s resignation and the ouster of other Warner executives.

Shocker. You would think a network with Don Lemon and Brian Stelter would attract a dedicated user base of paid users.

I am not surprised, terrible timing and questionable return even for the low price.

Fail is clearly a fail.

I am not surprised, terrible timing and questionable return even for the low price.

Fail is clearly a fail.

There are too many streaming services out there. If this was going to work, CNN should have found a package deal with an existing service/bundle.

Shocker. You would think a network with Don Lemon and Brian Stelter would attract a dedicated user base of paid users.
Who could think a business model that repels what most viewers care to watch would attract anything more than rejects of society.
Could they really have not recognized that the trend is away from such things.
It also looks like the new CNN head is looking to make CNN more news focused again rather than dominated by wacko opinion personalities.

What a dismal failure.

For better or worse, CNN is a dinosaur. An international cable news outlet, that specializes in current & live coverage. Both are dying markets.

I think they'd best stick to their core business, even though that niche is a receding one. It's what they do best, what they are known for. Their audience isn't looking for personality driven entertainment.

And get Chris Wallace into an anchor spot, for krissakes! They've got a prime talent in their niche business, in him. Don't let him languish.

What a dismal failure.

For better or worse, CNN is a dinosaur. An international cable news outlet, that specializes in current & live coverage. Both are dying markets.

I think they'd best stick to their core business, even though that niche is a receding one. It's what they do best, what they are known for. Their audience isn't looking for personality driven entertainment.

And get Chris Wallace into an anchor spot, for krissakes! They've got a prime talent in their niche business, in him. Don't let him languish.

CNN used to be awesome when it first came out. Transforming, 24 hour news feed. Used to love it.

Couldn't agree more about Wallace. He's exceptional and would be a great anchor.

Who could think a business model that repels what most viewers care to watch would attract anything more than rejects of society.
Could they really have not recognized that the trend is away from such things.
It also looks like the new CNN head is looking to make CNN more news focused again rather than dominated by wacko opinion personalities.

Bingo! That's what CNN is known for.

However, both 'cable' and 'news' are dying markets. And, that's a problem.

Last edited:
CNN needs to get Wallace into an anchor spot, ASAP. He's a prime talent, perfect for an anchor.
It's been suggested that either he was promised that or he anticipated such a move before signing with CNN.

CNN used to be awesome when it first came out. Transforming, 24 hour news feed. Used to love it.

Yep. I still do like CNN. No one does breaking, live, or international, better. That's what they need to stick with, their core branding.

Couldn't agree more about Wallace. He's exceptional and would be a great anchor.

Wallace bring gravitas, IMO. A great deal of it, to be honest.

I've said this so long, but CNN needs Conservative representation on their staff. And even though I used the term just recently, having a multi-lean staff brings . . . gravitas!

While they've gone sideways over the years, we need to remember in its heyday CNN's top guy was Lou Dobbs! And, they had Tucker Carlson, too! That diversity across the political spectrum made them great! I loved stuff like "Cross Fire"!

It's been suggested that either he was promised that or he anticipated such a move before signing with CNN.

I would hope so.

So, it appears they might initially use him to bring-up CNN+, then once running move him to the cable channel? I suppose I could see that.

Lucky for us cable viewers, we may get to see him soon - then.

I'm really looking forward to see what he does and brings to CNN cable.

Yep. I still do like CNN. No one does breaking, live, or international, better. That's what they need to stick with, their core branding.

I've said this so long, but CNN needs Conservative representation on their staff. And even though I used the term just recently, having a multi-lean staff brings . . . gravitas!

While they've gone sideways over the years, we need to remember in its heyday CNN's top guy was Lou Dobbs! And, they had Tucker Carlson, too! That diversity across the political spectrum made them great! I loved stuff like "Cross Fire"!

CNN (last I checked) had some conservatives on their team, including that idiot Rick Santorum. I never watch them (have not in years) so I'm not sure if he is still there or not. But he was.

Lou Dobbs hahahah.

Called it the day they first announced it, corporate marketing execs can be so dumb sometimes. "Hey, streaming is real popular these days! Let's do the streaming!!"

Go Woke, Go Broke
Oh my god please please please elaborate on how you perceive CNN+ as a "woke" business venture. WAIT. Give me five minutes, I gotta make popcorn.

Are you suggesting that social media only exists on the center and the left?
Only viable ones……

Truth/Social, Parler, Bueller………….Bueller,

I watched back then, too. However, things have changed a lot since then. Back then, it was debate about differing visions for the country. If you didn't agree with one of them, it was still interesting. Now, however, it isn't debate. One side is making up reality. I wouldn't watch that kind of cable show now.

Lord knows they have plenty of open anchor spots to fill. There is enough dead wood at CNN to start a wildfire even with Cuomo gone.

Lord knows they have plenty of open anchor spots to fill. There is enough dead wood at CNN to start a wildfire even with Cuomo gone.

I can't tell you the last time I watched it. Probably the night of the 2020 election (I flipped the channels a bit that night).

Back
Top Bottom