• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clyburn says S.C. Dem Senate candidate a 'plant'; calls for probe

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Surprise SC Senate Democratic candidate faces felony obscenity charge

Associated Press / Star Tribune said:

By MEG KINNARD , Associated Press
Last update: June 9, 2010 - 12:52 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. - South Carolina's surprise Democratic nominee to challenge U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint is facing a pending felony charge.

Court records show 32-year-old Alvin Greene was arrested in November and charged with showing obscene Internet photos to a University of South Carolina student. The felony charge carries up to five years in prison.

Greene said he had no comment when asked about the charge Wednesday and hung up on a reporter.

The unemployed veteran posted bond after his arrest. He has yet to enter a plea or be indicted.

Records indicate Greene showed photos to a woman and talked about going to her room at a university dorm.

SC Democrats ask surprise SC Senate candidate to withdraw after learning of felony charge | StarTribune.com

What is WRONG with these people who run for public office? They have to know they are in the public eye, that what they do and say can and will be made public. Either they don't care or we, their constituents, give them too much credit and pay too much homage to political office.

Re: Surprise SC Senate Democratic candidate faces felony obscenity charge

I swear that state elects people who just want to go into office and break the law.

This guy didn't spend a dollar on his campaign, didn't attend any events during the campaign, and is fighting felony charges....

....and Democrats still voted for him.

What does that say?

This guy didn't spend a dollar on his campaign, didn't attend any events during the campaign, and is fighting felony charges....

....and Democrats still voted for him.

What does that say?

It says that the State is living up to it's current political joke. I mean this isn't just a oh shame on the Democrats for supporting this guy. The Republicans in that state have been equally stupid and broken laws too. It is the State that just can't seem to elect a good politician.

In other, better and more balanced news, the SC Republican party has kicked a number of encumbents out of the race in favor of new faces and reform messages, in today's primary race. In particular, candidates associated with the Tea Party have fared well, and women candidates are seriously kicking butt. Four "good old boy" male candidates for governor were kicked to the curb in favor of a new female candidate running as a reformer.

South Carolina, public official, sex issue. Who'd a thunk it...

I swear that state elects people who just want to go into office and break the law.

That makes South Carolina different from any other state, how?

In other, better and more balanced news, the SC Republican party has kicked a number of encumbents out of the race in favor of new faces and reform messages, in today's primary race. In particular, candidates associated with the Tea Party have fared well, and women candidates are seriously kicking butt. Four "good old boy" male candidates for governor were kicked to the curb in favor of a new female candidate running as a reformer.

Yeah my parents live in SC just south of Charlotte and when I told my mom this she said a similar thing. Good for the Republicans. Both sides of the aisle in that State are crazy right now and making the State look like a joke. I have friends that are embarrassed to say they are from SC now because of all the stupid things the politicians do.

Isn’t it one of the job requirements for South Carolina? :2wave:

Clyburn says S.C. Dem Senate candidate a 'plant'; calls for probe - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

"There were some real shenanigans going on in the South Carolina primary," Clyburn said during an appearance on the liberal Bill Press radio show. "I don't know if he was a Republican plant; he was someone's plant."

ROTFLMFAO... This is too rich.

We have Sestak and Romanoff being offered jobs to get out of a race, then we have some unknown Democrat winning... who has nary a chance against DeMint, and they call for an investigation!

Hilarious.

What about an investigation about Sestak and Romanoff?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
That doesn't matter. This need be investigated.

LOL... these Dems... and the sad thing is they're running the country.

Last edited:

The Americans on this thread need to be careful what they say about South Carolina. Politicians in your state could be the headline tomorrow.

“There were some real shenanigans going on in the South Carolina primary. I don't know if he was a Republican plant; he was someone's plant.” — House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.)¹

Excerpted from “Greene's Filing Fee Check Featured Hand-Scrawled 'Alvin M. Greene For Senate'” Justin Elliott, TPMMuckraker, June 10, 2010, 11:33AM
[SIZE="+2"]I[/SIZE]n March, unemployed veteran Alvin Greene showed up at the Democratic party headquarters in Columbia, South Carolina, to register as a candidate for U.S. Senate. To pay the filing fee, he was bearing a personal check for $10,440 -- which he has insisted all along was his own money. But party Chairwoman Carol Fowler turned him away, saying he needed a campaign check.

TPMmuckraker has obtained from the party the "campaign" check that Greene, the man now being called a "plant" by Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC), returned with several hours later. It is distinguished as a campaign check by the words "Alvin M. Greene for Senate" scribbled in pen in the upper left hand corner.

The memo line of the $10,440 check, from National Bank of South Carolina, reads only, "US Senate."

Check it out below:

greene_check_edited-2.jpg

How does an unemployed veteran come up with $10,000 cash to register his candidacy for the Democratic senatorial primary? Methinks dirty work is afoot.

Thank God for South Carolina, life will never be dull with South Carolina politics being played out on the front pages of America's newspapers.

Last edited:
ROTFLMFAO... This is too rich.

We have Sestak and Romanoff being offered jobs to get out of a race, then we have some unknown Democrat winning... who has nary a chance against DeMint, and they call for an investigation!

Hilarious.

What about an investigation about Sestak and Romanoff?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
That doesn't matter. This need be investigated.

LOL... these Dems... and the sad thing is they're running the country.

You clearly missed this part of the story:

Republican place markers in Palmetto State Democratic primaries are campaign legend.

In the early '90s, a Republican strategist was prosecuted and forced to pay a fine when he was found to have coaxed an unemployed black fisherman into running in a primary race to increase white turnout at the polls in a Lowcountry congressional race. The political operative paid the man's filing fee.

Here's their new slogan: South Carolina - We're the New Jersey of the South!

The Americans on this thread need to be careful what they say about South Carolina. Politicians in your state could be the headline tomorrow.

Odds are pretty long on any states officials having as many sex scandals in one year as SC has had this year(so far!). It does not really mean anything about SC, but I do find it funny.

Don't sweat it. When they figure out that he's black, they'll avoid this thread like the plague. Sure as hell won't be anymore, "those people" comments coming from the Leftists, anyway.

On a side note, are you Jambalaya with crawfish, sausage, or chicken?

I read that the guy had a pending felony charge too. This whole situation is just plain freaking bizarre.

“There were some real shenanigans going on in the South Carolina primary. I don't know if he was a Republican plant; he was someone's plant.” — House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.)¹

How does an unemployed veteran come up with $10,000 cash to register his candidacy for the Democratic senatorial primary? Methinks dirty work is afoot.

Thank God for South Carolina, life will never be dull with South Carolina politics being played out on the front pages of America's newspapers.

That money could have come from anywhere. That's hardly proof that he's a GOP plant. I mean, hell, Al Shaprton and Jesse Jackson have money enough to register to run for president. If people are stupid enough to donate to those two clowns, then certainly there are people stupid enough to donate money to this wanker.

But of course he would have had to report such campaign contributions which he hasn't. He claims this was his own money and maybe it's true but it does reek of a plant to most discerning observers.

clyburn is such an ignorant, two-faced asshole

just last week, the black congressional caucus expressed its desire to scale back the powers of the newly independent office of congressional ethics
that thing Obama touted as a priority when he was running for office
clyburn has had his own ethical lapses
clyburn also was critical of the opponent being able to run against him in his own district
what a puke

nothing would be better than greene beating demint in the midterm election

I have no problem with an investigation. None what so ever.

But I find it rich that they would call for an immediate investigation into this, and then fail to call for an immediate investigation of Sestak and Romanoff when THERE HAVE BEEN REPEATED PUBLIC ADMISSIONS OF ILLEGALITIES WHICH CLEARLY IMPLICATES THE WHITE HOUSE.

NOT ONLY DO WE HAVE AN ADMISSION IT HAS HAPPENED, BUT FOR MONTHS WE HAVE HAD COVER-UPS AND/OR OBFUSCATION BY GIBBS AND OBAMA.

That was the entire thrust of the OP.

Capiche?

PS. As an aside... It is funny a no name Democrat, plant or not won the thing. Dontcha think?
I find it downright hilarious.

Last edited:
How does one party plant a candidate in the other party's primary? Was the guy a stealth Republican? Is it illegal for a Republican to donate to a Democrat?

Whether a plant or not, how could he win without Democrats voting for him? If the Democrat voters are stupid enough to vote for a plant they deserve what they get. ;)

Back
Top Bottom