• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clyburn says S.C. Dem Senate candidate a 'plant'; calls for probe

I read that the guy had a pending felony charge too. This whole situation is just plain freaking bizarre.

And yet the democrats there voted him in.... Did the Republicans vote for him too??

Guys,

Don't you GET IT yet? When Democrats fail... it's not their fault, it's the GOP's fault.

You need to read your source material better. It's not "they", it's "he".
Isn't he in the House Democrat leadership, like number three I think? When he speaks, isn't it commonly for they. Did he indicate he was not speaking for "they", this time?

Isn't he in the House Democrat leadership, like number three I think? When he speaks, isn't it commonly for they. Did he indicate he was not speaking for "they", this time?

There is zero to indicate he is talking for any one other than himself. The "they" is to suggest it's democrats doing this, instead of a democrat.

There is zero to indicate he is talking for any one other than himself. The "they" is to suggest it's democrats doing this, instead of a democrat.
But he is one of the top Democrat leaders. It is common for him to speak for the Democrats. Do you have anything to indicate he was not this time? :doh

But he is one of the top Democrat leaders. It is common for him to speak for the Democrats. Do you have anything to indicate he was not this time? :doh

The fact he is not claiming to speak for them. I mean, I have heard of and seen weak arguments, but yours has to be about the weakest I have seen.

4689203437_2fb458c1ed.jpg

Yep, looks like this was the extent of Mr. Green's campaign literature.

The theory is that voters picked Green because he was at the top of the ballot above the other candidate, Vic Rawl who spent $180,000. on his campaign.

Personally, I think the bright Democratic voters of South Carolina thought they were voting on American Idol and believed they were voting for Al Green over Lou Rawls......:lol:

How does one party plant a candidate in the other party's primary? Was the guy a stealth Republican? Is it illegal for a Republican to donate to a Democrat?

Whether a plant or not, how could he win without Democrats voting for him? If the Democrat voters are stupid enough to vote for a plant they deserve what they get. ;)

If you'll look back, the Republicans have already done it once before in SC. Not proof that it happened here, just saying that there is documented proof and arrests were made for doing it before.

Now, let's be honest here. It's not like either of these guys were going to beat Creme DeMint anyway. The guy's a lock. This is just a sideshow.

And only befitting the recent political streak of South Carolina - The New Jersey of the South! (I'm gonna keep saying it...)

And yet the democrats there voted him in.... Did the Republicans vote for him too??

sc is an open primary election state
it is quite possible that the republicans crossed over to select their opposition candidate
but that is part of the fun of having open primaries
clyburn knows it - while he is quite dim, even this he should now understand after a long career of crooked politics

Re: Surprise SC Senate Democratic candidate faces felony obscenity charge

Thank you for that, great segment. Best line though was about Helen Thomas: "You know whose getting her seat? Elijah."

Last night StewBeef gave a great beating to the media over that as well, as well as the media coverage of the primaries. WOO! ANTI-INCUMBANCY IS SWEEPING THE NATION! *like 82 out of 84 incumbents win their primaries*

edit: or was it night before last?

Last edited:
How does one party plant a candidate in the other party's primary? Was the guy a stealth Republican? Is it illegal for a Republican to donate to a Democrat?

Whether a plant or not, how could he win without Democrats voting for him? If the Democrat voters are stupid enough to vote for a plant they deserve what they get. ;)

I have to say there are an awful lot of conservative and independent know-nothings running around these days; denying that not only can this happen in an open primary system but it has happened before.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn is one of the most respected and moderate members of Congress, despite one poster's repeated, unsubstantiated aspersions in this thread, and if Congressman Clyburn says he thinks a foul has been committed I rather think it was egregious.

I have to say there are an awful lot of conservative and independent know-nothings running around these days; denying that not only can this happen in an open primary system but it has happened before.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn is one of the most respected and moderate members of Congress, despite one poster's repeated, unsubstantiated aspersions in this thread, and if Congressman Clyburn says he thinks a foul has been committed I rather think it was egregious.

Well, as soon as he comes up with some kind of proof, I might agree with you. Until then he's just yapping.

Re: Surprise SC Senate Democratic candidate faces felony obscenity charge

The Americans on this thread need to be careful what they say about South Carolina. Politicians in your state could be the headline tomorrow.

What about the liberals? j/k What about the non-Americans?

How can he come up with proof without an investigation?

he did nothing to disabuse the black congressional caucus from trying to defang the newly independent office of congressional ethics
seems he is not concerned with maintaining ethical behavior of those who make it to the congress, like people such as himself
but he jumps at the oppostunity to appeal for an investigation of the primary candidate based on nothing more than his factless speculation:
"I think there's some federal laws being violated in this race, but I think some shenanigans are going on in South Carolina," Clyburn explained. "Somebody gave him that $10,000 and he who took it should be investigated, and he who gave it should be investigated."

ROTFLMFAO... This is too rich.

We have Sestak and Romanoff being offered jobs to get out of a race, then we have some unknown Democrat winning... who has nary a chance against DeMint, and they call for an investigation!

Hilarious.

What about an investigation about Sestak and Romanoff?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
That doesn't matter. This need be investigated.

LOL... these Dems... and the sad thing is they're running the country.

Regardless of whether or not he is a plant the voters did pick Alvin Greene,. Instead of that democrat Clyburn whining like a little bitch and crying foul without any evidence, perhaps he should figure out why voters would vote for a no name candidate.

Last edited:
he did nothing to disabuse the black congressional caucus from trying to defang the newly independent office of congressional ethics
seems he is not concerned with maintaining ethical behavior of those who make it to the congress, like people such as himself
but he jumps at the oppostunity to appeal for an investigation of the primary candidate based on nothing more than his factless speculation:

I'm not thrilled at all with their call to defang the office of ethics - BUT it's hardly "factless" speculation. A guy who was declared indigent by the state and granted a public defender suddenly has $10,000 to run for Senate? And in a state where less than a decade ago a scandal just like this had occurred.

He may be a douche, but that doesn't negate that it looks like something weird is happening here.

Now, like I've said: whatever it is, it's all sideshow, so I'm not too worried about it in comparison.

I'm just thankful that South Carolina is making Tennessee look positively sane and intelligent - and that's not easy to do.

I notice that Clyburn only raised this issue because it gave him a chance to accuse the guy running against him of being a plant as well.

Nevertheless, his claims are so foolish that I can't believe the media is giving this coverage.

Think about this for a second: He's implying that the Republicans broke the law by giving an unemployed criminal $10k in the hopes that he would run against a Democrat in a primary. Nobody on earth could have predicted that this guy would beat the other Democrat. Moreover, neither he nor the other Democrat had an inkling of a chance to beat DeMint.

The theory is that the Republicans wasted $10k and committed a crime in order to have a 1% chance of knocking off a guy who had a 0% chance of beating a Republican. Anyone who believes that is a bit too credulous.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn is one of the most respected and moderate members of Congress

"Clyburn is regarded to be liberal in his political stances, actions and votes. A recent ranking by the National Journal listed him to be the 77th most liberal of all 435 US congressional representatives, and with a score of 81, indicating that the conductors of this study found his voting record to be more liberal than 81 percent of other members of the US House of Representatives based on their recent voting records."

Jim Clyburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

despite one poster's repeated, unsubstantiated aspersions in this thread, and if Congressman Clyburn says he thinks a foul has been committed I rather think it was egregious.

That's because you're likely to believe anything that would possibly reflect badly on Republicans, even if it's an "unsubstantiated aspersion."

I'm not thrilled at all with their call to defang the office of ethics - BUT it's hardly "factless" speculation. A guy who was declared indigent by the state and granted a public defender suddenly has $10,000 to run for Senate? And in a state where less than a decade ago a scandal just like this had occurred.

It was almost 20 years ago, not a decade, but that's not really the point. Many have trotted out that situation as evidence that this happened here, but the two are really not analogous. In that case, there was a perfectly logical reason to "plant" someone in the election - to drive voter turnout in another hotly contested race. Here, there is absolutely no logical reason that anyone would ever do this. It would be the equivalent of throwing $10k in the toilet for a 1 in a million benefit.

"Clyburn is regarded to be liberal in his political stances, actions and votes. …"

Jim Clyburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, he's a liberal, he's number three in the House Democratic leadership, duh! But, anybody who has ever heard Congressman Clyburn speak knows that he does so in measured, thoughtful tones. This is a man of moderate disposition, not quick to accusation. And his complaint is based on a lifetime of involvement in the Democratic Party of South Carolina; I'm not saying he knows every Democrat in the state personally, but, he knows quite a few and I would say that his evidence is pretty compelling to a fair minded person.

… there is absolutely no logical reason that anyone would ever do this. It would be the equivalent of throwing $10k in the toilet for a 1 in a million benefit.

QFT

If you'll look back, the Republicans have already done it once before in SC. Not proof that it happened here, just saying that there is documented proof and arrests were made for doing it before.

Now, let's be honest here. It's not like either of these guys were going to beat Creme DeMint anyway. The guy's a lock. This is just a sideshow.

And only befitting the recent political streak of South Carolina - The New Jersey of the South! (I'm gonna keep saying it...)
Done what? What were the charges? Was the Republican party in SC charged with planting someone or something someplace? If so, did it grow?

Again, how does one party plant a candidate in another party's primary? Did the Republicans also plant all the voters that voted for him? :roll:

Done what? What were the charges? Was the Republican party in SC charged with planting someone or something someplace? If so, did it grow?

Again, how does one party plant a candidate in another party's primary? Did the Republicans also plant all the voters that voted for him? :roll:

I'm not saying that there are charges in THIS race: I'm saying it's happened in South Carolina's past where a Republican had paid a place marker candidate in a Democratic Primary:

Free Times: Government - A Phantom Candidate for U.S. Senate?

And this is a story from a South Carolina paper BEFORE the election.

Oh, and by the way - you've never heard of voters crossing over during the Primaries?

Can GOP Voters Spoil the Dem Race? - TIME
Rush the Vote: Operation Chaos Meeting and Exceeding Objectives

Again, this is nothing more than a silly side-show. DeMint had this wrapped up before any of this circus took place.

And before this: the main event was the circus in the Republican tent.

South Carolina is simply doing their damnedest to challenge New Jersey and Illinois for craziest politics.

Appalachian Trails, Argentina, "Raghead", Alleged Affairs, and now Ghost Candidates...

It was almost 20 years ago, not a decade, but that's not really the point. Many have trotted out that situation as evidence that this happened here, but the two are really not analogous. In that case, there was a perfectly logical reason to "plant" someone in the election - to drive voter turnout in another hotly contested race. Here, there is absolutely no logical reason that anyone would ever do this. It would be the equivalent of throwing $10k in the toilet for a 1 in a million benefit.

You're right. It was almost 20 years ago - but since I was in college then, it's hard for me to think of it as almost 20 years ago.

And it is illogical; sure. But it did send the SC Circus away from the Republicans and into the Democrats, did it not? All for a race that ultimately didn't matter at all?

Of course, he's a liberal, he's number three in the House Democratic leadership, duh! But, anybody who has ever heard Congressman Clyburn speak knows that he does so in measured, thoughtful tones. This is a man of moderate disposition, not quick to accusation. And his complaint is based on a lifetime of involvement in the Democratic Party of South Carolina; I'm not saying he knows every Democrat in the state personally, but, he knows quite a few and I would say that his evidence is pretty compelling to a fair minded person.

What evidence? Clyburn has provided literally nothing to support his accusations.

The only thing going in his "favor" is that he's a Democrat saying bad things about Republicans. I just don't understand how that's enough for you.

You're right. It was almost 20 years ago - but since I was in college then, it's hard for me to think of it as almost 20 years ago.

And it is illogical; sure. But it did send the SC Circus away from the Republicans and into the Democrats, did it not? All for a race that ultimately didn't matter at all?

The SC "circus" was in regards to the Governor race, not the Senate race, so there's no reason why it would happen here.

Look, if the Republicans had the ability to stealthily manufacture tens of thousands of votes in order to sway an election and their goal was to put an end to the SC drama, don't you think they would have used that force to avoid a runoff in the Governor's primary? Instead, we're going to have that race splattered across the front pages for the next two weeks.

It just blows my mind how something dumb happening in an entirely unimportant Democratic primary has turned into OMG REPUBLICONSPIRACY!!!1 We have plenty of our own scandals and **** to deal with already. Take responsibility for your own.

Back
Top Bottom