• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Clinton's Rosa Parks Eulogy

johnnyboy

New member
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Private
Clinton's dramatic claim to have also integrated a segregated bus on that same "fateful day" as Rosa Parks failed the smell test, I'm sure, for many, but went largely unchallenged. There are some problems with his story, however.

For one thing, the arrest warrant, ( from the national archives ), was written up at 6;06 p.m., too late for the newspapers that day.

Secondly, what seems important in retrospect, could hardly have seemed important at the time. As things stood on the evening of December 1, 1955, the situation seemed painfully reminiscent of the mythical headline of the we-can-make-news-out-of-anything school of journalism: !!!!! MAN IN ALBANY MISSES BUS !!!!!! The hometown newspaper, "The Montgomery Advertiser" didn't carry any reference to the event until five days after that "fateful day", so how did little nine year old Bill Clinton know about it on that fateful day?

Does this matter? If not, why did every major news organization in the country carry his remarks? If it does matter, why didn't they check up on his story.

I'm not talking about bias here, biased reporting can still be accurate and responsible. The fact that nobody checked up on Clinton's latest whopper is less than biased. It is sloppy and gullible reporting, to point of being an accessory to compulsive humbug.

For more info and sources you can visit a blog on the am 1280 THE PATRIOT website, go to DISCUSS , click NEWS STAND, , click CLINTON'S EULOGY.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
johnnyboy said:
Clinton's dramatic claim to have also integrated a segregated bus on that same "fateful day" as Rosa Parks failed the smell test, I'm sure, for many, but went largely unchallenged. There are some problems with his story, however.
Did he really? The man has no shame and thinks everyone else in the world is an idiot.
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
johnnyboy said:
Clinton's dramatic claim to have also integrated a segregated bus on that same "fateful day" as Rosa Parks failed the smell test, I'm sure, for many, but went largely unchallenged. There are some problems with his story, however.

For one thing, the arrest warrant, ( from the national archives ), was written up at 6;06 p.m., too late for the newspapers that day.

Secondly, what seems important in retrospect, could hardly have seemed important at the time. As things stood on the evening of December 1, 1955, the situation seemed painfully reminiscent of the mythical headline of the we-can-make-news-out-of-anything school of journalism: !!!!! MAN IN ALBANY MISSES BUS !!!!!! The hometown newspaper, "The Montgomery Advertiser" didn't carry any reference to the event until five days after that "fateful day", so how did little nine year old Bill Clinton know about it on that fateful day?

Does this matter? If not, why did every major news organization in the country carry his remarks? If it does matter, why didn't they check up on his story.

I'm not talking about bias here, biased reporting can still be accurate and responsible. The fact that nobody checked up on Clinton's latest whopper is less than biased. It is sloppy and gullible reporting, to point of being an accessory to compulsive humbug.

For more info and sources you can visit a blog on the am 1280 THE PATRIOT website, go to DISCUSS , click NEWS STAND, , click CLINTON'S EULOGY.
He said it was later, not on the same day:

I was a 9-year-old southern white boy who rode a segregated bus every single day of my life. I sat in the front, black folks sat in the back. When Rosa showed us that black folks didn’t have to sit in the back anymore, two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she had done, decided we didn’t have to sit in the front anymore
 

johnnyboy

New member
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Private
Dear Kelzie:

The word "later" doesn't appear in your Clinton quote. You said he said "later", he didn't.

Here is a quote from the sentence which preceded the words you quoted:"“I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy who rode a segregated bus....." Clearly he is saying that he heard of what she had done on that "fateful day" , which in the context could only be December 1, 1955. The only wiggle room he left for himself is: what do you mean by "fateful day", sound familiar?
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
He said it was later, not on the same day:
Here is what he said

Rosa Parks ignited the most significant social movement in modern American history. To finish the work that spawned the Civil War and redeemed the promise of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. For 50 more years, she moved beyond the bus, continuing her work on that promise. It was my honor to present her with a Presidential Medal of Freedom and to join the leaders of Congress in presenting her with a Congressional Gold Medal. I remember well when she sat with Hillary in the box of the First Family at the State of the Union address in 1999 and how the entire Congress, Democrats and Republicans alike, rose as one to recognize that she had made us all better people and a better country. When I first met Rosa Parks, I was reminded of what Abraham Lincoln said when he was introduced to Harriet Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin. He said, “So this is the little lady who started the great war.” This time, Rosa's war was fought by Martin Luther King's rules – civil disobedience, peaceful resistance – but a war, nonetheless, for one America in which the law of the land means the same thing for everybody.
Rosa Parks, as we saw again today, was small in stature with delicate features. But the passing years did nothing to dim the light that danced in her eyes, the kindness and strength you saw in her smile or the dignity of her voice. To the end, she radiated that kind of grace and serenity that God specially gives to those who stand in the line of fire for freedom and touch even the hardest hearts.
I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy................
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
What in the world are you people talking about in here? LOL!

You make it sound like Clinton was riding the same bus as Rosa that day! ROTFL!!!!!

You also make it sound like Clinton moved to the back of the bus on the same day Rosa refused to give up her seat?! LOL

There's nothing in that dialogue that indicates this, but thanks for the best laugh I've had all morning!

Reading comprehension...It's never too late.
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
johnnyboy said:
Dear Kelzie:

The word "later" doesn't appear in your Clinton quote. You said he said "later", he didn't.

Here is a quote from the sentence which preceded the words you quoted:"“I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy who rode a segregated bus....." Clearly he is saying that he heard of what she had done on that "fateful day" , which in the context could only be December 1, 1955. The only wiggle room he left for himself is: what do you mean by "fateful day", sound familiar?
Actually, the words you want to be looking for is "when Rosa showed us". Let me give you an example.

"I wrote on the chalkboard"

vs

"When Rosa showed us, I wrote on a chalkboard"

"When Rosa showed" maked his action conditional on when he learned what Mrs. Parks showed him. Did you really not know that?
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Stinger said:
Here is what he said

Rosa Parks ignited the most significant social movement in modern American history. To finish the work that spawned the Civil War and redeemed the promise of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. For 50 more years, she moved beyond the bus, continuing her work on that promise. It was my honor to present her with a Presidential Medal of Freedom and to join the leaders of Congress in presenting her with a Congressional Gold Medal. I remember well when she sat with Hillary in the box of the First Family at the State of the Union address in 1999 and how the entire Congress, Democrats and Republicans alike, rose as one to recognize that she had made us all better people and a better country. When I first met Rosa Parks, I was reminded of what Abraham Lincoln said when he was introduced to Harriet Beecher Stowe, the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin. He said, “So this is the little lady who started the great war.” This time, Rosa's war was fought by Martin Luther King's rules – civil disobedience, peaceful resistance – but a war, nonetheless, for one America in which the law of the land means the same thing for everybody.
Rosa Parks, as we saw again today, was small in stature with delicate features. But the passing years did nothing to dim the light that danced in her eyes, the kindness and strength you saw in her smile or the dignity of her voice. To the end, she radiated that kind of grace and serenity that God specially gives to those who stand in the line of fire for freedom and touch even the hardest hearts.
I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy................
Okay great. The beginning part of what I already posted that in no way can decide what he meant. :roll:
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Kelzie said:
Actually, the words you want to be looking for is "when Rosa showed us". Let me give you an example.

"I wrote on the chalkboard"

vs

"When Rosa showed us, I wrote on a chalkboard"

"When Rosa showed" maked his action conditional on when he learned what Mrs. Parks showed him. Did you really not know that?
Maybe there was a web cam on Rosa' bus. Clinton and his buds saw it on the net and went out that day and did the same thing?
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Hoot said:
What in the world are you people talking about in here? LOL!

You make it sound like Clinton was riding the same bus as Rosa that day! ROTFL!!!!!

You also make it sound like Clinton moved to the back of the bus on the same day Rosa refused to give up her seat?! LOL

There's nothing in that dialogue that indicates this, but thanks for the best laugh I've had all morning!

Reading comprehension...It's never too late.

Those are Clinton's word giving that impression..........that's the point.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
Okay great. The beginning part of what I already posted that in no way can decide what he meant. :roll:
Well let's cut off where he went off track for a minute

Here is what he said

Rosa Parks ignited the most significant social movement in modern American history. To finish the work that spawned the Civil War and redeemed the promise of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. For 50 more years, she moved beyond the bus, continuing her work on that promise. ....................................... I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy who rode a segregated bus every single day of my life. I sat in the front, black folks sat in the back. When Rosa showed us that black folks didn’t have to sit in the back anymore, two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she had done, decided we didn’t have to sit in the front anymore.

It's typical Clinton making it about himself instead about the person being honored. And saying that as a nine year he had any comphrension of rembemering "that fateful day" that Parks acted is ludicrus. It was a local story in Montgomery that day and for the next several days. But then Clinton isn't known for being truthful and for falsely making things about himself.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Pacridge said:
Maybe there was a web cam on Rosa' bus. Clinton and his buds saw it on the net and went out that day and did the same thing?
How typical of Clinton to try and make the occasion about himself and to do so by "embellishing" it.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Stinger said:
How typical of Clinton to try and make the occasion about himself and to do so by "embellishing" it.
I don't know of any successful politicians that don't do that. That's sad, but true.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Pacridge said:
I don't know of any successful politicians that don't do that. That's sad, but true.
Some but not all and certainly none will the gaul of Clinton. I guaranty that had it been Reagan it would have been "And she was awarded the Medal of Freedom" and not "Well I was the one who awarder her the Medal of Freedom because I'm such a great guy why I even stood up to segregation when I was a nine year old boy after I heard about Rosa."
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Stinger said:
Well let's cut off where he went off track for a minute

Here is what he said

Rosa Parks ignited the most significant social movement in modern American history. To finish the work that spawned the Civil War and redeemed the promise of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. For 50 more years, she moved beyond the bus, continuing her work on that promise. ....................................... I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy who rode a segregated bus every single day of my life. I sat in the front, black folks sat in the back. When Rosa showed us that black folks didn’t have to sit in the back anymore, two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she had done, decided we didn’t have to sit in the front anymore.

It's typical Clinton making it about himself instead about the person being honored. And saying that as a nine year he had any comphrension of rembemering "that fateful day" that Parks acted is ludicrus. It was a local story in Montgomery that day and for the next several days. But then Clinton isn't known for being truthful and for falsely making things about himself.
Yeah. And "when Rosa showed him" he learned a lesson from it. You obviously don't know many nine year olds. Segregation and discrimination aren't all that complicated of a subject.
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Stinger said:
Those are Clinton's word giving that impression..........that's the point.
Keep your hat on and they won't see the point.
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Stinger said:
Well let's cut off where he went off track for a minute

Here is what he said

Rosa Parks ignited the most significant social movement in modern American history. To finish the work that spawned the Civil War and redeemed the promise of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. For 50 more years, she moved beyond the bus, continuing her work on that promise. ....................................... I remember as if it were yesterday that fateful day 50 years ago. I was a nine-year-old Southern white boy who rode a segregated bus every single day of my life. I sat in the front, black folks sat in the back. When Rosa showed us that black folks didn’t have to sit in the back anymore, two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she had done, decided we didn’t have to sit in the front anymore.

It's typical Clinton making it about himself instead about the person being honored. And saying that as a nine year he had any comphrension of rembemering "that fateful day" that Parks acted is ludicrus. It was a local story in Montgomery that day and for the next several days. But then Clinton isn't known for being truthful and for falsely making things about himself.
He's talking about the fateful day when he and his friend were on a bus! Sheesh! It's typical of a calloused republican taking away from the honor of Rosa Parks and making it out to be a Dem conspiracy.
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Stinger said:
Some but not all and certainly none will the gaul of Clinton. I guaranty that had it been Reagan it would have been "And she was awarded the Medal of Freedom" and not "Well I was the one who awarder her the Medal of Freedom because I'm such a great guy why I even stood up to segregation when I was a nine year old boy after I heard about Rosa."
No...Reagan would've said..."And I just fired all the bus drivers for going on strike, and hired replacement riders."
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Hoot said:
No...Reagan would've said..."And I just fired all the bus drivers for going on strike, and hired replacement riders."
There would have been a couple "well" and "Nancy always says" in there somewhere.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
Yeah. And "when Rosa showed him" he learned a lesson from it. You obviously don't know many nine year olds. Segregation and discrimination aren't all that complicated of a subject.
I raised three nine year olds and I lived through the days of segregation in Alabama. I know alot about both.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Hoot said:
He's talking about the fateful day when he and his friend were on a bus! Sheesh! It's typical of a calloused republican taking away from the honor of Rosa Parks and making it out to be a Dem conspiracy.
Nope that's not what his sentence structure says. He says he remembers the fateful day Rosa Parks was arrested, the day he and his friend supposedly sat in that back of the bus was NOT a fateful day.

And how typical he trys to make the memorial about her about him and how great he is.
 

johnnyboy

New member
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Private
Dear Kelzie:

You posted:

"Actually, the words you want to be looking for is "when Rosa showed us". Let me give you an example.

"I wrote on the chalkboard"

vs

"When Rosa showed us, I wrote on a chalkboard"

"When Rosa showed" maked ( made? ) his action conditional on when he learned what Mrs. Parks showed him. Did you really not know that?"

That's my whole point "when" he said he did it: "that fateful day", which was fifty years ago, "when" he heard it ( he had to have heard of it for Rosa to have shown him ), and, on "that fateful day' fifty years ago, he couldn't have heard about it, not yet. Therefore, he couldn't have done what he said he did for the reason he said he did. This is very simple.

What Clinton said happened simply could not have occurred. If he had said that whenever he did hear about it he moved to the back of the bus as a gesture of solidarity, that could have happened, but that is not what he said.

The only way Clinton's words could be interpreted as referring to a later date would be if by "fateful day" he meant the day he, not Rosa Parks, decided to ignore the segregation laws. Now, wouldn't that be a tad vainglorious, even for Bill?

If anyone is still interested:) I suggest you visit the am 1280 website and check out the internet source references to his speech.
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Johnnyboy said:
If he had said that whenever he did hear about it he moved to the back of the bus as a gesture of solidarity, that could have happened, but that is not what he said.
That is EXACTLY what Clinton said! LOL!

Take it from a journalism/English major, ok?

Look, I know all of you still hate Clinton, but that's no reason to distort his words with erroneous sentence conjugation. You just hate Clinton because Bush makes him look so good by comparison.
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
When Rosa showed us that black folks didn’t have to sit in the back anymore, two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she had done, decided we didn’t have to sit in the front anymore.

Here's the crux of this whole petty argument.

"When Rosa showed us..." 'When' and 'showed' imply past tense.

"Two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she HAD DONE.."

There...another past tense..."had done"

What Clinton is saying is AFTER Rosa "showed us," and "had done" what she did, Clinton moved to the back of the bus in support of her efforts.

The "fateful day 50 years ago" was obviuosly about Rosa, and not Clinton's ride on the bus, so I did err in my haste to get a post out, but clearly...Clinton heard about Rosa and her actions, and then moved to the back of the bus, as you say, as a sign of solidarity.

Can you imagine what would happen if we picked Bush's speeches apart like this? LOL! There's not enough minutes in the day.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Hoot said:
When Rosa showed us that black folks didn’t have to sit in the back anymore, two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she had done, decided we didn’t have to sit in the front anymore.

Here's the crux of this whole petty argument.

"When Rosa showed us..." 'When' and 'showed' imply past tense.

"Two of my friends and I, who strongly approved of what she HAD DONE.."

There...another past tense..."had done"

What Clinton is saying is AFTER Rosa "showed us," and "had done" what she did, Clinton moved to the back of the bus in support of her efforts.

The "fateful day 50 years ago" was obviuosly about Rosa, and not Clinton's ride on the bus, so I did err in my haste to get a post out, but clearly...Clinton heard about Rosa and her actions, and then moved to the back of the bus, as you say, as a sign of solidarity.

Can you imagine what would happen if we picked Bush's speeches apart like this? LOL! There's not enough minutes in the day.
I read through the speech. Don't see how it could be taken any other way.

But I do have issue with Clinton claiming as a nine year old he took the bus everyday and was aware of the Parks incident. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just find it hard to believe any nine year old would be interested in national affairs.
 
Top Bottom