• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton vs. Trump: Even their supporters don’t like them

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

“WASHINGTON — Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are unusually weak, widely disliked presidential candidates whom most people plan to vote against if the front-runners meet in the general election.

Most people who'd vote for Clinton would do so because they want to defeat Trump, not because they actually want to elect her, according to a new McClatchy-Marist poll.

And most of those who'd vote for Trump would do it because they want to defeat Clinton, not because they like Trump.

The winner? He or she is likely to begin the presidential term without the usual honeymoon period ……….

………. Marist Institute for Public Opinion in New York, which conducted the nationwide poll.

Marist found that overwhelming, largely unprecedented ill will toward Clinton and Trump was a big driver of voter sentiment, particularly among independents.

Fifty-three percent of all Clinton voters, and three of four independents, said they'd pick the former secretary of state because they'd be voting against Trump.

Sixty-one percent of Trump voters, and nearly two of three independent supporters, said their vote for the New York real estate mogul would be largely a vote against Clinton. Only 35 percent said they'd be casting a pro-Trump vote………….

………..Given the Clinton-Trump choice, independents were less enthusiastic. A big reason they'll pick a candidate is "they don't like the other guy," ………..

It would seem who ever one votes for…. most will be holding their nose as they mark their ballot…” Given the Clinton-Trump choice, independents were less enthusiastic. A big reason they'll pick a candidate is "they don't like the other guy," said Miringoff.

“WASHINGTON — Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are unusually weak, widely disliked presidential candidates whom most people plan to vote against if the front-runners meet in the general election.

Most people who'd vote for Clinton would do so because they want to defeat Trump, not because they actually want to elect her, according to a new McClatchy-Marist poll.

And most of those who'd vote for Trump would do it because they want to defeat Clinton, not because they like Trump.

The winner? He or she is likely to begin the presidential term without the usual honeymoon period ……….

………. Marist Institute for Public Opinion in New York, which conducted the nationwide poll.

Marist found that overwhelming, largely unprecedented ill will toward Clinton and Trump was a big driver of voter sentiment, particularly among independents.

Fifty-three percent of all Clinton voters, and three of four independents, said they'd pick the former secretary of state because they'd be voting against Trump.

Sixty-one percent of Trump voters, and nearly two of three independent supporters, said their vote for the New York real estate mogul would be largely a vote against Clinton. Only 35 percent said they'd be casting a pro-Trump vote………….

………..Given the Clinton-Trump choice, independents were less enthusiastic. A big reason they'll pick a candidate is "they don't like the other guy," ………..

It would seem who ever one votes for…. most will be holding their nose as they mark their ballot…” Given the Clinton-Trump choice, independents were less enthusiastic. A big reason they'll pick a candidate is "they don't like the other guy," said Miringoff.

It saddens me to see what America has become. Decades and decades of politicians fiddling under her skirts has led to a battleground, not an election. Now, voters are doing so out of fear; a means of preventing someone from gaining power. That leaves a vacuum in the "for" arena. Exactly what are people hoping to expect with the best hope being no more than a means of blocking someone even more unpalatable.

No matter how you slice that pie, there is nothing in there that will address America's real problem, and clearly we see in this "election" its the political system that needs changing.

It's is often aid in the lead up to elections that certain individuals will move to Canada if so and so gets election, it has never happened. Somehow I think we're going to be seeing more of you this time around.

Bring mittens.

This is the result of the years of negative campaigning that has become the mainstay of our political discourse. That is also the source of both Trump and Sanders popularity. The less you have heard of a candidate the more appealing they become. The lack of positive ideas is most dire on the Republican side but both parties need to find more positives.

Last edited:
It saddens me to see what America has become. Decades and decades of politicians fiddling under her skirts has led to a battleground, not an election. Now, voters are doing so out of fear; a means of preventing someone from gaining power. That leaves a vacuum in the "for" arena. Exactly what are people hoping to expect with the best hope being no more than a means of blocking someone even more unpalatable.

No matter how you slice that pie, there is nothing in there that will address America's real problem, and clearly we see in this "election" its the political system that needs changing.

It's is often aid in the lead up to elections that certain individuals will move to Canada if so and so gets election, it has never happened. Somehow I think we're going to be seeing more of you this time around.

Bring mittens.

I could not agree more........

Where have the quality candidates gone ................... Possibly buried under the hate and political incompetence.......... You know it was the same conditions under which the Weimar Republic led to the start of fascism..........

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some kind of "federalism" in our government, or maybe a "balance of powers", so that it didn't matter this much who the President was?

How is this especially different from most other presidential elections?

When have you ever heard an aspiring presidential candidate say "smack him, I'll pay your legal bills?"

When has there ever been a woman candidate saying "elect me because I'm a woman" or a two-year-old mentality saying "elect me, I'm rich so I know how to do stuff." We've had a Bernie before in George McGovern, but never a Jewish McGovern. When have we seen an Hispanic-American born in Canada as candidate?

Sorry, but this is soap opera not statesmanship.

I could not agree more........

Where have the quality candidates gone ................... Possibly buried under the hate and political incompetence.......... You know it was the same conditions under which the Weimar Republic led to the start of fascism..........

Throughout my journalism career I always saw a relationship of trends of our two countries, usually if we have a left leaning government, your will lean right.
I have also seen a kind of teeter tooter effect, left and right. Now, it seems to have metastasized into something cancerous.

We have always seen negative attack ads, but this time its become ugly, infested with hate, people threatening and engaging in violence, charges of battery, and thug-like words from the leading right wing contender.

The "quality candidates" have figured out that it isn't worth it. And as this thing takes on life in the back of the toilet, the resentment driven divisions in the country can only widen and deepen.

Can anyone honestly say any one of these candidates has the stuff to get things done? Hillary is only popular with the Democrat side, Bernie isn't even liked there, Donald, well.....and then Cruz, who also has some "history" and resentments on both sides.

The two best eras the US has had in my adult life have been Reagan and Clinton. And both of them did so by going along with congress more than making war with them. They both placed the will of the people over their own petty ideological issues.

When have you ever heard an aspiring presidential candidate say "smack him, I'll pay your legal bills?"

When has there ever been a woman candidate saying "elect me because I'm a woman" or a two-year-old mentality saying "elect me, I'm rich so I know how to do stuff." We've had a Bernie before in George McGovern, but never a Jewish McGovern. When have we seen an Hispanic-American born in Canada as candidate?

Sorry, but this is soap opera not statesmanship.

I was referring to the voter's dislike for the front runners. Not how the candidates have been behaving.

I applaud their hatred of Hillary but, Trump doesn't really have a political track record to scrutinize.

You think the two them are disliked now? Wait until the end of the nastiest general election in history. The next President is going to be starting off in a very bad position.

If you were to have followed the news you would know the unfavorable number are for the both are the highest in history........

Which is what makes it different and rather interesting in IMHO

I applaud their hatred of Hillary but, Trump doesn't really have a political track record to scrutinize.

NO.............Not political..........but a public life which when disclosed will make some puke............

Please elaborate.

The list of Mr. Trumps disgusting behaviors over the past many years will sure to be aired soon after he is nominated............

Stay tuned........

The list of Mr. Trumps disgusting behaviors over the past many years will sure to be aired soon after he is nominated............

Stay tuned........

You mean his womanizing? (See JFK, etc)

If you were to have followed the news you would know the unfavorable number are for the both are the highest in history........

Which is what makes it different and rather interesting in IMHO

Both are high, but I'm skeptical about the "highest in history" claim.

Both are high, but I'm skeptical about the "highest in history" claim.

That's what I heard/read somewhere today............

I'll take a look to see if I can find a link............... but don't plan to spend too much time............. the information is inconsequential to the subject

The way Hillary has been losing them lately it may be Sanders right?

Enjoy.

RELATED

AP-GfK Poll: GOP Negative Ratings Surge With Trump's Rise - ABC News
AP-GfK Poll: GOP Negative Ratings Surge with Trump's Rise

“A large majority of Americans now view the Republican Party unfavorably, according to a poll that suggests Donald Trump could be dragging down the GOP's brand.

The Associated Press-GfK poll finds that two out of three people now have an unfavorable view of the party. The 67 percent negative rating is up from the 58 percent who viewed the GOP that way in October 2014………….

The change has come as Trump has risen from businessman and brash reality television star to the Republican Party's presidential front-runner. And it's in contrast with public opinion of the Democratic Party, about which Americans are more evenly divided.

The new poll finds that 48 percent have a favorable view of the Democratic Party, while 50 percent have an unfavorable view. The numbers are largely unchanged since October of 2014………….

……….. Unfavorable ratings of the GOP also approached 70 percent in October and December of 2013. That's around the time Republicans, led by Cruz, embraced a partial shutdown of the government to try to block funding for the federal health care law.”

Is anyone surprised?

OMG.....I sure hope this does not stop Trump from getting the nomination.............

For me it comes down to who is less evil and Trump would win that. Clinton is evil and corrupt.

I've been an advocate for many years now of abolishing partisan politics and voting on individuals.
I've said before that the way we vote is akin to a football game where our team MUST win.
But instead of getting better, this shows that it is getting worse. It isn't even getting behind our football team with a ra ra ra anymore, its more like trying to decide which pile of refuse is further from the rising surge of **** that has become policy and governing.
We built this bed called the Bipartisan Empire and now that the bed is looking more and more like a coffin, people are starting to wonder if its really the best bet for running our country (the only silver lining really).

RELATED

AP-GfK Poll: GOP Negative Ratings Surge With Trump's Rise - ABC News
AP-GfK Poll: GOP Negative Ratings Surge with Trump's Rise

“A large majority of Americans now view the Republican Party unfavorably, according to a poll that suggests Donald Trump could be dragging down the GOP's brand.

They've been dragging down their own brand for a while.

Idiotic birtherism, shutting down government in an attempt to get their way or the highway, continued outdated anti-gay and related social conservatism, TP extremism, and a basic lack of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom