• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton University Problem: Laureate Education Lawsuits Present Problem For Clinton

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
While largely ignored by the media, the Clintons have their own university scandal. Donald Trump has been rightfully criticized and sued over his defunct Trump University. There is ample support for claiming that the Trump University was fraudulent in its advertisements and operations. However, the national media has been accused of again sidestepping a scandal involving the Clintons that involves the same type of fraud allegations. The scandal involves a dubious Laureate Education for-profit online college (Walden) and entails many of the common elements with other Clinton scandals: huge sums given to the Clintons and questions of conflicts with Hillary Clinton during her time as Secretary of State. There are distinctions to draw between the two stories, but the virtual radio silence on the Clinton/Laureate story is surprising.

The respected Inside Higher Education reported that Laureate Education paid Bill Clinton an obscene $16.5 million between 2010 and 2014 to serve as an honorary chancellor for Laureate International Universities. Various news outlets said that neither Clinton nor Laureate were forthcoming on how much he was paid for the controversial association.
Various sites have reported that the State Department funneled $55 million in grants during Hillary Clinton’s tenure to groups associated with Laureate’s founder. That would seem a pretty major story but virtually no mainstream media outlet has reported it while running hundreds of stories on the Trump University scandal. The stories on the grants do not name Laureate directly. Accordingly, the company might have not received direct grants (my first column did not make that clear and, in fairness to Laureate, there is no evidence of a quid pro quo arrangement or even direct grants). However, there are references to the International Youth Federation (connected to Laureate chairman Douglas Becker) as receiving USAID funding. Becker, who reportedly did not graduate college, is a controversial figure and the Washington Post wrote that “Becker’s peers in the education industry paint him as a tireless promoter, skilled at pitching Laureate to investors and persuading universities to sell to him.” Becker is reportedly a major donor to the Clintons and the Clinton Foundation.
Clinton resigned from his post just before his wife declared her candidacy but praised the company for producing high quality education. Yet, MarketWatch reported “five out of its six U.S. campuses are on a list of 544 schools the Department of Education is monitoring over concerns about shaky finances or regulatory compliance.”

Indeed, Laureate has come up in the Clinton email scandal. In her first year as Secretary of State, Clinton is quoted as directly asking that Laureate be included in a high-profile policy dinner — just months before the lucrative contract was given to Bill Clinton. Hillary Clinton later references “Laureate Universities, started by Doug Becker who Bill likes a lot.”

https://jonathanturley.org/2016/06/...cation-lawsuits-present-problem-for-clintons/

Jonathan Turley, if you've ever seen him or read his blog, is no rock-rubbed Conservative or Trump acolyte.
The points he raised about Bill & Hill & Laureate are important, but his points about the media's absence of attention to the Clinton's relationship with Laureate are critical.
So far, his appearance with Megyn Kelly last night on Fox shows it's the only mainstream outlet paying attention to this and Google search pretty much confirms it.

I expect this might easily be one of the things Trump talks about when he gives his speech Monday or whenever.

Re: Clinton University Problem: Laureate Education Lawsuits Present Problem For Clint

Mohammed Ali died recently and Trump is a poo-poo head. AP has declared Hillary the winner in November. Obama has announced the best economy ever. Full coverage at 11:00. All the news the way you want it. Break for commercial content..."Are you tired of being an aging white male? Well, now there's hope for you. You can identify as a woman. Yes! You can identify as an aging white female with a beard and hairy legs..."

Re: Clinton University Problem: Laureate Education Lawsuits Present Problem For Clint

So let me see if I've got this straight

1) Hillary has a "Clinton University problem" even though there is no Clinton University

2) Neither Bill nor Hillary have anything to do with the running of this mythical university

1) Hillary has a "Clinton University problem" even though there is no Clinton University

2) Neither Bill nor Hillary have anything to do with the running of this mythical university

Turley made it all up.

Jonathan Turley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No you don't have it straight.

Mohammed Ali died recently and Trump is a poo-poo head. AP has declared Hillary the winner in November. Obama has announced the best economy ever. Full coverage at 11:00. All the news the way you want it. Break for commercial content..."Are you tired of being an aging white male? Well, now there's hope for you. You can identify as a woman. Yes! You can identify as an aging white female with a beard and hairy legs..."

Bent the needle on the "sarc" meter.

No you don't have it straight.

He does. Wordpress bloggers made up a non-existing university and tried to compare what they believe is a conflict of interest to fraud.

Wow , next you will claim HRC is nominated for sainthood ! :lamo Liberals can't help themselves facts elude them easily . :lamo

Wow , next you will claim HRC is nominated for sainthood !

^Hey everyone, let's play a game: Spot the logical fallacy.
Liberals can't help themselves facts elude them easily .

Rather than crack yourself up - how about you refute it?

Wow , next you will claim HRC is nominated for sainthood !

How about we just settle and nominate her for "Person Who Does Not Have a University Named After Her"?

^Hey everyone, let's play a game: Spot the logical fallacy.

Rather than crack yourself up - how about you refute it?

Logic and liberals huge oxymoron ! :lamo

Yes.

He does.

You cannot refute either of those facts.

Geeze. The earth orbits the sun. Fact. The additional and inescapable fact is that it has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the OP. The name of the university isn't relevant, either.

How about we just settle and nominate her for "Person Who Does Not Have a University Named After Her"?

Or a person that handed huge grants to a Universiy while Secretary of State so her corrupt sexual pervert husband could collect 16 plus million ! No conflict here , move on folks ! :lamo

Yes.

He does.

"2) Neither Bill nor Hillary have anything to do with the running of this mythical university"

So why did the entity pay Bill over $16 million? Sure, he was an "honorary" Chancellor, but you don't get to accept that kind of money from an entity and then wash your hands of what that entity does. I'm guessing it's a good bet that Trump had about as much to do with the running of "Trump University" as Bill did with the Laureate group, which is not much other than lending his name to it.

Yes.

He does.

The point is what he doesn't have straight.
Do you?

He does. Wordpress bloggers made up a non-existing university and tried to compare what they believe is a conflict of interest to fraud.

Someone much more renown and accomplished than you in this area apparently thinks you're wrong.
Take it up with him.

Someone much more renown and accomplished than you in this area apparently thinks you're wrong.
Take it up with him.

Bubba, you have no idea who I am ...and appeals to authority before the 3rd post? His accomplishments and renown have little to do with anything I said. You're getting predictable.

https://www.clintonfoundation.org/clinton-global-initiative/meetings/cgi-university/about/about-cgiu

Clinton Global Initiative

Still want to contend there's zero Clinton tie?

Bubba, you have no idea who I am ...and appeals to authority before the 3rd post? His accomplishments and renown have little to do with anything I said. You're getting predictable.

No need to get pissy there Hat.

I know you said you work with photoshop for a living.
Jonathan Turley, the blogger, "holds the Shapiro Chair for Public Interest Law at The George Washington University Law School where he teaches torts, criminal procedure, and constitutional law. He is the youngest person to receive an academic chair in the school's history. He runs the Project for Older Prisoners (POPS), the Environmental Law Clinic, and the Environmental Legislation Project.

Prior to joining the George Washington University, he was on the faculty of Tulane University Law School.

His articles on legal and policy issues appear regularly in national publications; as of 2012, Turley has had articles published in newspapers such as the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, and the Wall Street Journal. He frequently appears in the national media as a commentator on a multitude of subjects ranging from the 2000 Presidential Election Controversy to the Terri Schiavo case in 2005. He is often a guest on Sunday talk shows, with over two-dozen appearances on Meet the Press, ABC This Week, Face the Nation, and Fox News Sunday. He served as a contributor on Countdown with Keith Olbermann from 2003 until 2011, and later on Current TV in 2011 and early 2012; Turley also appears occasionally on Pacifica Radio's Democracy Now!.

Since the 1990s, he has been the legal analyst for NBC News and CBS News covering stories that ranged from the Clinton impeachment to the presidential elections. He is on the board of contributors of USA Today."

But you're right, since he makes no claim re Photoshop it's possible you could smoke him on the workspace. But he didn't write about Photoshop soooooooo ...

Yesterday he tried that with me, but his "authority" was Alex Jones, of "shape-shifting-lizard-people-are-trying-to-take-over-the-human-race-by-turning-all-our-kids-gay" fame.

No need to get pissy there Hat....

But you're right, since he makes no claim re Photoshop it's possible you could smoke him on the workspace. But he didn't write about Photoshop soooooooo ...

Lmao, bubba, you still have no idea who I am or what I do for a living while I'm still laughing at you trying to appeal to authority as if anything which has been stated is incorrect:

1. There is no Clinton University.
2. A conflict of interest =/= fraud.

Yesterday he tried that with me, but his "authority" was Alex Jones, of "shape-shifting-lizard-people-are-trying-to-take-over-the-human-race-by-turning-all-our-kids-gay" fame.

It's a terrible debate strategy. We've pointed out that this is a supposed conflict of interest at best. Trump's case is about fraud.

1. There is no Clinton University.

Which is again irrelevant.

2. A conflict of interest =/= fraud.

And nobody in the matter has been convicted of fraud. If that standard works for Hillary, and quite a few here have argued it, then the same applies to Trump.

Back
Top Bottom