• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton tops Obama in gifts from foreign leaders

Mike.Redd

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Hillary Clinton received gold jewelry worth half a million dollars from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. The Obama’s received a $16,500 gold-plated clock from Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the Saudi defense minister. The list can keep going...

The Federal Register published a list of "gifts" given to members of the government during their trips abroad. I never knew such lavish gifts were given. Does the US send gifts back? Or when other diplomats visit the US do we give them equally as lavish gifts?

Under law, most gifts must go to the National Archives or General Services Administration, unless recipients reimburse the U.S. Treasury for them, but how often are gifts recorded?

Source: Rare.us | Foreign affairs - Clinton tops Obama in gifts from foreign leaders

Hillary Clinton received gold jewelry worth half a million dollars from King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. The Obama’s received a $16,500 gold-plated clock from Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the Saudi defense minister. The list can keep going...

The Federal Register published a list of "gifts" given to members of the government during their trips abroad. I never knew such lavish gifts were given. Does the US send gifts back? Or when other diplomats visit the US do we give them equally as lavish gifts?

Under law, most gifts must go to the National Archives or General Services Administration, unless recipients reimburse the U.S. Treasury for them, but how often are gifts recorded?

Source: Rare.us | Foreign affairs - Clinton tops Obama in gifts from foreign leaders

Will these gifts end up like the souvenirs taken from the White House when the Clinton's left in January 2001?

There is a limit on the value of gifts from the US government to foreign diplomats but I do not recall what it is. I recall hearing someone, maybe Nancy Reagan when she was giving CSPAN a tour of the Reagan Museum, discussing it once about how the First Family could not reciprocate with the lavishness of some of the gifts that are received.

BTW, I have also heard that the gifts all belong to the government and if the First Family wants to keep them for themselves, they have to buy them from the government as they have the right of first refusal to purchase the gifts given to them in their capacity as the First Family.

Last edited:

I don't understand this KING ABDULLAH looks like he is bribing US official for his interest to sell OIL. West is arguing and conflict about human rights violation Syria, Libya and Iran. But there no comment from west about Saudi Arabia, which i consider one place of birth of terrorism and top human right violation against woman & freedom of speech.

Back
Top Bottom