• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton slams Florida pastor for 'disgraceful' plans

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Washington (CNN) -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton used a foreign policy talk to weigh in on hot-button political issues Wednesday, slamming a Florida pastor for his "disgraceful" plan to burn the Quran and strongly criticizing George W. Bush's fiscal record.

Clinton warned about the long-term consequences of rising federal budget deficits, arguing that they will eventually diminish U.S. power and impair America's ability to act effectively in the global arena.

Her remarks came during an appearance before the nonpartisan Council on Foreign Relations.

Clinton slams Florida pastor for 'disgraceful' plans - CNN.com

With respect to the planned burning of a Qu'ran by the Florida Church, I believe Secretary Clinton was spot on. While the planned expression of hate is permissible as protected speech, it does undermine larger U.S. interests. It raises concerns among moderate Muslims as to whether their fellow Muslims have a place in the U.S., particularly as it is planned to take place during a period when a Mosque has been torched by an arsonist or arsonists and other Mosques are being opposed in various parts of the country. It gives extremists ammunition to attack America's credibility as a land of religious tolerance. As a result, the planned hate-fest enhances risks confronting U.S. interests and troops.

On the latter point, I'm not certain that Secretary Clinton should be placing blame for budget deficits. While the deficits pose a long-term threat to U.S. capabilities and interests, there is little evidence that the current Administration is any more committed to fiscal consolidation than the preceding one. In other words, setting aside the fiscal stimulus which is not a structural matter, there have been no serious structural budget reforms to date.

A major opportunity for the Obama Administration to demonstrate commitment on the fiscal front will come next year in the wake of the deficit reduction task force's recommendations and the start of the next budget process. Then, were the Administration to attempt serious steps toward developing a viable fiscal consolidation strategy, as well as pursue some early implementation of a portion of that strategy, Secretary Clinton would be in a more credible position on that issue.

With respect to the planned burning of a Qu'ran by the Florida Church, I believe Secretary Clinton was spot on. While the planned expression of hate is permissible as protected speech, it does undermine larger U.S. interests. It raises concerns among moderate Muslims as to whether their fellow Muslims have a place in the U.S., particularly as it is planned to take place during a period when a Mosque has been torched by an arsonist or arsonists and other Mosques are being opposed in various parts of the country. It gives extremists ammunition to attack America's credibility as a land of religious tolerance. As a result, the planned hate-fest enhances risks confronting U.S. interests and troops.

On the latter point, I'm not certain that Secretary Clinton should be placing blame for budget deficits. While the deficits pose a long-term threat to U.S. capabilities and interests, there is little evidence that the current Administration is any more committed to fiscal consolidation than the preceding one. In other words, setting aside the fiscal stimulus which is not a structural matter, there have been no serious structural budget reforms to date.

A major opportunity for the Obama Administration to demonstrate commitment on the fiscal front will come next year in the wake of the deficit reduction task force's recommendations and the start of the next budget process. Then, were the Administration to attempt serious steps toward developing a viable fiscal consolidation strategy, as well as pursue some early implementation of a portion of that strategy, Secretary Clinton would be in a more credible position on that issue.

Your post was a pleasure to read, thank you.

lol...Clinton using the word "disgraceful"

Just a reminder to the, ex Prez....Religious freedom played a very large part in the foundation of the US. Because of the religious wars in Europe, and that the influence of the US, religious freedom became a fundamental right in Europe as well.

Burn away, Pastor

lol...Clinton using the word "disgraceful"

Just a reminder to the, ex Prez....Religious freedom played a very large part in the foundation of the US. Because of the religious wars in Europe, and that the influence of the US, religious freedom became a fundamental right in Europe as well.

Burn away, Pastor

You didn't read the article, did you? ROFL! Or even the OP!

You didn't read the article, did you? ROFL! Or even the OP!

Clinton has no "moral weight" to criticize anything. Period

Clinton has no "moral weight" to criticize anything. Period

You referred to the President. This article is about the Secretary of State.

You referred to the President. This article is about the Secretary of State.

Shh. That is what made it funny.

I actually feel dirty for agreeing with Sec. Clinton, but she is right, it is disgraceful. Alas disgraceful things are allowed in this country so best of luck to him in burning a book.

Burn away, Pastor

In one hand, you praise the American and European tradition of religious freedom and tolerance. In the other, you encourage a man who spits on these traditions.

In one hand, you praise the American and European tradition of religious freedom and tolerance. In the other, you encourage a man who spits on these traditions.

I have no problem with these asswipes exercising their First Amendment rights, just so long as they take responsibility for their actions.

Following up on the potential risk to American interests and persons should Terry Jones hate-fest proceed as planned, Interpol warned of possible terrorist attacks that could occur in retaliation for the hate-fest. MSNBC reported:

The international police agency Interpol warned governments worldwide on Thursday of an increased risk of terror attacks if the planned burning of the Quran by a Florida pastor goes ahead.

"There is a strong likelihood that violent attacks on innocent people would follow," Interpol said in a statement, adding that it was acting partly on a request from Pakistan.

Interpol: Quran burning likely to trigger attacks - U.S. news - Security - msnbc.com

I don't agree with what the preacher in Fla. is doing but I get a kick out of Liberals like Clinton who stand behind the first amendment in the Mosque situation and then against it in the burning of the Koran...............

Which is it my Liberal friends are you only for the fist amendment when it is convenient for you?

I don't agree with what the preacher in Fla. is doing but I get a kick out of Liberals like Clinton who stand behind the first amendment in the Mosque situation and then against it in the burning of the Koran...............

Which is it my Liberal friends are you only for the fist amendment when it is convenient for you?

If she was against the first amendment, she would have said he could not do it, not that he should not do it. Let's try and be honest about things Navy. No one is trying to deny his first amendment rights, nor are they suggesting he should not have those rights......................

Just because you can/have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it.

as chris rock said, "Hell, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good ****in idea"

Washington (CNN) -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton used a foreign policy talk to weigh in on hot-button political issues Wednesday, slamming a Florida pastor for his "disgraceful" plan to burn the Quran and strongly criticizing George W. Bush's fiscal record.

Clinton warned about the long-term consequences of rising federal budget deficits, arguing that they will eventually diminish U.S. power and impair America's ability to act effectively in the global arena.

Her remarks came during an appearance before the nonpartisan Council on Foreign Relations.

Clinton slams Florida pastor for 'disgraceful' plans - CNN.com

There she goes again. defending her man.

The same thing could be said for the Imam Rufus. Just yesterday, he warned of new attacks upon Americans, if the Mosque isn't allowed to be built. How's that for freedom and tolerance?

If she was against the first amendment, she would have said he could not do it, not that he should not do it. Let's try and be honest about things Navy. No one is trying to deny his first amendment rights, nor are they suggesting he should not have those rights......................

She is trying to have it both ways....In both incidents the people have the right to do it....

The same thing could be said for the Imam Rufus. Just yesterday, he warned of new attacks upon Americans, if the Mosque isn't allowed to be built. How's that for freedom and tolerance?

The difference is, I don't defend the Imam Rufus and his victory mosque.

The difference is, I don't defend the Imam Rufus and his victory mosque.

Ha!

Real outrage or not, it's a game; Muslims play it knowing full well what they're doing. React to any and all perceived affronts with outrage, while hiding behind western free speech laws to march around with "Death to all Juice" signs. They don't care about a double standard, they only care about what works - and it works. *Useful idiots* will buy it every time.

You don't seem to be into it's condemnation, as you are the Koran burnage.

I've made more posts about the Mosque than I have the Koran burnings. I just don't much care for repeating myself.

Back
Top Bottom