• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton gets question from West Virginia coal worker

Clinton confronted by laid-off coal worker at West Virginia campaign stop | Fox News

Why do these people think their families are more important than the environment? It just boggles my mind that people can be so selfish and not see the big picture?

Maybe because they see all the phony liberals telling everybody ELSE they need to reduce their carbon footprint while their's is the size of a small country? ( Obama, Tom Friedman, Gore, DiCaprio and on and on )

Truth is, most of us feel sorry for those who do count family as the most important in their lives. It speaks volumes about those who do not.

Clinton confronted by laid-off coal worker at West Virginia campaign stop | Fox News

Why do these people think their families are more important than the environment? It just boggles my mind that people can be so selfish and not see the big picture?

People don't care about the big picture when their family is starving, or when the electricity is going to be shut off because their out of work and can't find another job.
The deal here is: There has to be enough pressure put on families like this, that they adapt to changing society due to economic realities - *without* knocking them sideways out of the box. And they need valid avenues of transition.

But if we give-in as a society to every individual's reluctance to change with the times, we'd never move ahead as a society! We'd be back in the dark ages! Otherwise, to economically continue in ways that don't work, we're just providing another form of welfare - and we have more than enough welfare in this country!

As a father, I see it as this guy's responsibility to be smart, think, and plan ahead to accomplish what's in the best interest of his family. In both my grandfathers' case, it involved leaving war-torn Europe for America! In my father's case, it was working like a dog (7A-11P 6 days!) to finance and assist my mother in starting her own business so they could be self-reliant and independent, allowing them to own a house & educate their children. And in my case, it was much more humble: I moved my family out of my badly failing neighborhood deep in the city, into the best suburb I could attain - giving my wife & kids a quiet peaceful safe life, with excellent education and quality of life. This is as men, what we do. This is the American story.

So this guy's crying falls on deaf ears, with me. We need to give him some transitional help obviously, but after that the rest is up to him. If the men in my family could successfully flee war and poverty, I'm sure in a country as easy and great as America this guy should be able to figure it out.

Does solar power work? Nope.
Does wind power work? Nope.
Does the left demand they shutdown? Nope. The argument, as I hear it, is that long term interests demand that we sink money into making them work.

Does coal power work? Yes.
Is clean coal under development? Yes.
Does the left demand it shutdown? Yes. For some reason, the long term interest in using cheap, clean burning coal is not socially acceptable.

The deal here is: There has to be enough pressure put on families like this, that they adapt to changing society due to economic realities - *without* knocking them sideways out of the box. And they need valid avenues of transition.

But if we give-in as a society to every individual's reluctance to change with the times, we'd never move ahead as a society! We'd be back in the dark ages! Otherwise, to economically continue in ways that don't work, we're just providing another form of welfare - and we have more than enough welfare in this country!

As a father, I see it as this guy's responsibility to be smart, think, and plan ahead to accomplish what's in the best interest of his family. In both my grandfathers' case, it involved leaving war-torn Europe for America! In my father's case, it was working like a dog (7A-11P 6 days!) to finance and assist my mother in starting her own business so they could be self-reliant and independent, allowing them to own a house & educate their children. And in my case, it was much more humble: I moved my family out of my badly failing neighborhood deep in the city, into the best suburb I could attain - giving my wife & kids a quiet peaceful safe life, with excellent education and quality of life. This is as men, what we do. This is the American story.

So this guy's crying falls on deaf ears, with me. We need to give him some transitional help obviously, but after that the rest is up to him. If the men in my family could successfully flee war and poverty, I'm sure in a country as easy and great as America this guy should be able to figure it out.

I agree, to a point. If, as "Bo" says, current government policies have created the loss of jobs, then the administration should have a plan in place for transition. And, Bo could have been listening and realized coal was a dead end.

What we are avoiding, though, is how Hilary skirted the question. She claimed she was "taken out of context" which is an excuse which is a lie 1,000 times out of 1,003 events. She has been waging war on coal and fossil fuels in general and she failed to address the primary question, which was based on the above noted government policies.

Like the difference between fishers and loggers. Fishers ran out of fish and people had to make the adjustment themselves, but when government policy (US) eliminates 10,000 jobs overnight, somebody has to pony up to the bar, otherwise that entire "society" you talk about will crumble.

I agree, to a point. If, as "Bo" says, current government policies have created the loss of jobs, then the administration should have a plan in place for transition. And, Bo could have been listening and realized coal was a dead end.

What we are avoiding, though, is how Hilary skirted the question. She claimed she was "taken out of context" which is an excuse which is a lie 1,000 times out of 1,003 events. She has been waging war on coal and fossil fuels in general and she failed to address the primary question, which was based on the above noted government policies.

Like the difference between fishers and loggers. Fishers ran out of fish and people had to make the adjustment themselves, but when government policy (US) eliminates 10,000 jobs overnight, somebody has to pony up to the bar, otherwise that entire "society" you talk about will crumble.
Yeah, I was focusing on the OP's question & comment.

I didn't even want to get into HRC or her politics. She's too subjective, as a subject.

If I can interject, it's not like in the old days where you can just move to another part of the country where the jobs are (our oil rig jobs are dead remember). And members of both parties allowed the Chinese to flood our country with cheap subsidized tires and solar panels, so there are not as many jobs there either. Both parties have have escalated efforts to allow companies to abuse H-1B visas so even our high tech/high skilled jobs can be replaced. The meme of "there are jobs to replace them" would be true except both parties have colluded to make sure that those replacement jobs are not available. So this guy's plight is more sympathetic the more you know about our economic system.

On a tangent, I know a guy who got a pH.D. in Physics who tried to apply for unemployement after looking for work for two years because the STEM jobs are not there. So before anyone says "get a degree"; those scientific degrees are not the panacea the politicians have led you to believe. The jobs just aren't there because our politicians have made sure that they aren't there.

If I can interject, it's not like in the old days where you can just move to another part of the country where the jobs are (our oil rig jobs are dead remember). And members of both parties allowed the Chinese to flood our country with cheap subsidized tires and solar panels, so there are not as many jobs there either. Both parties have have escalated efforts to allow companies to abuse H-1B visas so even our high tech/high skilled jobs can be replaced. The meme of "there are jobs to replace them" would be true except both parties have colluded to make sure that those replacement jobs are not available. So this guy's plight is more sympathetic the more you know about our economic system.

On a tangent, I know a guy who got a pH.D. in Physics who tried to apply for unemployement after looking for work for two years because the STEM jobs are not there. So before anyone says "get a degree"; those scientific degrees are not the panacea the politicians have led you to believe. The jobs just aren't there because our politicians have made sure that they aren't there.
That's fair criticism, Reinoe. But my wife is Aisian, and her crowd come here with nothing (as she did), yet I see them all enter middle-American society in a short time, usually 5-10 years.

They work several jobs, and concurrently get degrees in medical sciences, often Nursing but sometimes Physical Therapy. And then they still work three jobs! Only for a lot more money! And I'm not exaggerating here. They also work extremely well and cohesively as family units. When the wife is working one job and going to nursing school, the husband is working two and three jobs! Then the father goes to nursing school when the wife is done! Even the kids work hard! The eldest take care of the house and the youngers. Everybody works hard. And they remind me of my family in decades past, and even today they seem to get similar results.

Part of the good I saw in my wife when she I first met her, was the qualities she shared with my grandfather (as crazy as that sounds). She got off a plane, knowing no one but having a contact for work as a live-in nurse, and set-off to work long hours in this foreign land, sending nearly all her money back to her elderly and sick parents back in Asia.

I'll also share this with you:

I'm the eldest son, and 4 years older than one of my brothers, and 5 and 6 years from the other two. When I was a kid I was responsible for them. At 12 or 13, when my parents weren't around the house it was considered my responsibility to keep an eye on them and keep them and the house in order. Even as I got older, and my brothers got into troubles outside of the house, my parents came to me first to find-out why wasn't I looking out for them. And it's exactly the same in my wife's Asian culture. They will sacrifice everything, even sell their house to provide that first kid an education, but then that kid is expected to help the next one in line, and then #2 is expected to help #3, etc. Then in due time, everyone does their best to help the parents in their old age.

And that's *exactly* the way my family is, too. We bring our dying elders home to die, and make the sacrifices they earlier did for us, whether grandparent, uncle, or parent.

This I believe works even in difficult situations, but you've got to stay together and work hard & selflessly together. When you've got multiple adults and kids all working hard, each doing whatever it is they can do best and within their means, all contributing and cooperating, you're going to have successes if you continue to work hard, think smart, and stay out of self-caused trouble (i.e. crime, drugs, illegit pregnancy).

That's fair criticism, Reinoe. But my wife is Aisian, and her crowd come here with nothing (as she did), yet I see them all enter middle-American society in a short time, usually 5-10 years.

They work several jobs, and concurrently get degrees in medical sciences, often Nursing but sometimes Physical Therapy. And then they still work three jobs! Only for a lot more money! And I'm not exaggerating here. They also work extremely well and cohesively as family units. When the wife is working one job and going to nursing school, the husband is working two and three jobs! Then the father goes to nursing school when the wife is done! Even the kids work hard! The eldest take care of the house and the youngers. Everybody works hard. And they remind me of my family in decades past, and even today they seem to get similar results.

Part of the good I saw in my wife when she I first met her, was the qualities she shared with my grandfather (as crazy as that sounds). She got off a plane, knowing no one but having a contact for work as a live-in nurse, and set-off to work long hours in this foreign land, sending nearly all her money back to her elderly and sick parents back in Asia.

I'll also share this with you:

I'm the eldest son, and 4 years older than one of my brothers, and 5 and 6 years from the other two. When I was a kid I was responsible for them. At 12 or 13, when my parents weren't around the house it was considered my responsibility to keep an eye on them and keep them and the house in order. Even as I got older, and my brothers got into troubles outside of the house, my parents came to me first to find-out why wasn't I looking out for them. And it's exactly the same in my wife's Asian culture. They will sacrifice everything, even sell their house to provide that first kid an education, but then that kid is expected to help the next one in line, and then #2 is expected to help #3, etc. Then in due time, everyone does their best to help the parents in their old age.

And that's *exactly* the way my family is, too. We bring our dying elders home to die, and make the sacrifices they earlier did for us, whether grandparent, uncle, or parent.

This I believe works even in difficult situations, but you've got to stay together and work hard & selflessly together. When you've got multiple adults and kids all working hard, each doing whatever it is they can do best and within their means, all contributing and cooperating, you're going to have successes if you continue to work hard, think smart, and stay out of self-caused trouble (i.e. crime, drugs, illegit pregnancy).

My late wife was fourth generation Canadian, one of her ancestors was born of the "Coolie" labor brought in to build a railway. Her family was all of the above in a more western way. What she objected to was where women are held in Chinese culture. When a son is born, he is the first in line to inherit both asset and debt. However a daughter marries into the groom's family. As female children offer no support in this life or the next, they have no value to the parent family. Thus with the single child law now, many are left with no one to look after them.

In remote areas they suspect many families' miscarriage was actually infanticide because it was a girl

You make a fair point.

The sad fact of life is that sometimes not everyone can be saved.

For Example: When DDT was banned many people died from increased malaria infections. Obviously that's a bad thing, but what would happen if we continued to spray DDT all over the place? It could do catastrophic ecological damage. Personally, I blame greedy corporations that don't care about curing diseases of poor people but that's beside the point. When you act irresponsibly to the planet you put yourself in a position where some people will have to be thrown overboard to keep the ship from sinking.

Fortunately these people in appalachia don't have to be completely thrown under the bus. We can provide them with vouchers to help them leave their homes. Putting these people in more progressive and diverse communities with more opportunities will be good for them.

Does solar power work? Nope.
Does wind power work? Nope.
Does the left demand they shutdown? Nope. The argument, as I hear it, is that long term interests demand that we sink money into making them work.

Does coal power work? Yes.
Is clean coal under development? Yes.
Does the left demand it shutdown? Yes. For some reason, the long term interest in using cheap, clean burning coal is not socially acceptable.

PV solar will be viable in the near future to start replacing coal. We simply need the market to decide. The biggest problem with PV, is the ability to move large amounts of power from the desert areas, to the metropolitan areas. that comes with the cost of also building more of an HVDC infrastructure than we already have.

Wind... Never be viable in my opinion. The maintenance costs down the road vs. PV will force energy companies to scrap them.

Clean coal is reality and will remain viable for a long time to come, until PV comes even farther down in cost.

The left is primarily just a bunch of indoctrinated idiots. Look at how all their policies fail... fail... fail.

Do you think political agendas for AGW and lies about the coal industries are more important than good paying US jobs?

All of the "facts" behind Hillary's anti-coal could very well be nothing but BS..

The sad fact of life is that sometimes not everyone can be saved.

For Example: When DDT was banned many people died from increased malaria infections. Obviously that's a bad thing, but what would happen if we continued to spray DDT all over the place? It could do catastrophic ecological damage. Personally, I blame greedy corporations that don't care about curing diseases of poor people but that's beside the point. When you act irresponsibly to the planet you put yourself in a position where some people will have to be thrown overboard to keep the ship from sinking.

Fortunately these people in appalachia don't have to be completely thrown under the bus. We can provide them with vouchers to help them leave their homes. Putting these people in more progressive and diverse communities with more opportunities will be good for them.

Learn something about mosquitoes and DDT on a global scale..

I am VERY VERY PRO DDP...

The benefits GREATLY outweigh the risks..

Why does Hillary...and leftists like you...care so little about the livelihood of the citizens of the US? It just boggles my mind that she cares more about her "clean energy" buddies despite the big picture of thousands of people getting tossed out of work.

Why does Hillary...and leftists like you...care so little about the livelihood of the citizens of the US? It just boggles my mind that she cares more about her "clean energy" buddies despite the big picture of thousands of people getting tossed out of work.
Dead on.

I have a liberal relative who was railing about the need to do something about climate change. We were were driving past the O'donnel projects in Baltimore.

I said" hey let's stop and tell these people they should start paying 4.50 a gallon for gas and double their electric bill , so people in Miami don't lose their beachfront property"
That was the end of that.

How about a slower transition towards renewable energy while we try and figure out what renewable energies works or not. Implementing laws to shut down coal is totally ignorant without a readily usable energy to replace it that doesn't break the wallet of working Americans. Your asshole president never thought about that before he acted, and he has wasted many millions of taxpayer dollars on many now bankrupt green energy schemes. Meanwhile......many families are losing their homes because of your jack wad president.

so you want the guy to pull him self up by the bootstraps and get to prospering somewhere else, somehow.

I don't neccessarily disagree... but that argument severely damages your lefty credentials, btw.

I think the larger issue is that democrats are enacting great change to an entire industry, but they have not put even once ounce of thought into how to make the transition less painful/ painless for the families they are purposefully and intentionally
sending into financial /despair ruin.

I do have compassion for this guy, and every family that hangs in the balance of decisions being made far above their pay grade, by people who have no care about the well being of these folks, or how to transition those they directly affect.

no matter what your opinion on energy issues is, one cannot help but to be irritated by the shear and utter mismanagement of the coal issue... transitioning the great number of lives that rely on the industry they are trying to kill off should be the first concern of those who are doing the killing, it shouldn't be an afterthought to their agenda.... it's wholly improper governance, without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom